Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 12-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
burkbuilds

Bought a Vulcan EN750 on e-bay today

I wasn't really looking for a new bike but I came across this one while searching for an accessory for my Vulcan 500 on e-bay. I sure hope this guy isn't yanking my chain, I guess I won't know for sure until I go to pick it up. He listed an 05 Vulcan 750 with 500 miles on it. States that the original owner died of health issues a month after purchasing the bike and this guy just bought it from the power of attorney this month. Also states that it has been garage kept the entire time and started once a month. The seller put a new battery in it, changed oil and filter, new spark plugs and listed it on e-bay with a buy it now of $3,000. I like the 750's self adjusting hydraulic valves and low maintenance shaft drive. I also like that the speedo and tach are on the handlebars where God meant for them to be instead of on the tank where you can't see them without taking your eyes off the road. It even has a fuel gauge and left and right turn signal indicators. This bike only weighs a few pounds more than my 500 at 483lbs and is supposed to get 50 mpg. I plan on keeping my 500 until I finish school. By then it should have over 60K miles on it and this 750 will still have low mileage. The only negative I've read about the 750 is the OEM Stator doesn't always hold up well and you have to pull the engine to replace it.

I was already thinking that this would be the bike I'd get after I wore the 500 out going to school, but I never thought I'd be able to find one with this low of mileage in this great condition.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Bought a Vulcan EN750 on e-bay today

Sounds like a really good deal,hope it works out for you. :2tup: :cool:

Old 12-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Wow, Merry Christmas BB. Sounds like a heck of a deal if it is true. And you get to start over with mods and stuff too. We will of course need pics after you get the bike.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Out of curiousity - how does one get a bike delivered from E-bay? Was the guy in Georgia already?
Old 12-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
alantf

Confucious, he say "If deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is" Just playing devil's advocate, but we'd hate to see you get burned. I don't know if it's just that I've got a suspicious nature, but the whole story sounds fishy to me. Please be VERY careful. :2tup:

Old 12-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
and this guy just bought it from the power of attorney this month. Also states that it has been garage kept the entire time and started once a month.
Be careful.......be VERY careful.

A month is probably not enough time to have the title processed.......and you should definitely NOT let any money change hands until you actually SEE a clear title in the new owner's name.

It sounds like a good find......but it also sounds like the seller is saying all the "right" things.
You might want to copy down the VIN and see if the DMV will run it for "alerts".

Do you still have the stock seat for the 500 ??
I might be looking for a good deal on a second bike if I find a "winter home" in your area.
I'll be in the area in Jan. and Feb.

P.S. Give the exhaust a careful inspection. Starting without riding can often be hard on pipes (rust).
Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
burkbuilds

Good advice everyone, and I don't plan on handing over anything more than the deposit until I see the bike and everything checks out with the title work and all. The deposit is somewhat recoverable since I bought it on e-bay, paid with Paypal and used my credit card. I figure I've got three ways to get it back if it turns out badly.

The bike is about six hours away in North Carolina. I will drive out and get it myself in a truck, but I could have it shipped to my door for around $500 but that would mean I wouldn't see the bike first and I'd have to pay before seeing it and I'd be trusting the seller on the title work, none of which seems like a good idea to me.

Hoping to have it before New Years. Just gotta work out the logistics with the seller and my son-in-law who is going with me to get it.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Good advice everyone, and I don't plan on handing over anything more than the deposit until I see the bike and everything checks out with the title work and all.

and my son-in-law who is going with me to get it.
I think you are a sane and reasonable person but it still worries me just a little that you seem to be "set" on bringing the bike back on the first trip......which may not be a good thing.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
JWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Good advice everyone, and I don't plan on handing over anything more than the deposit until I see the bike and everything checks out with the title work and all.

and my son-in-law who is going with me to get it.
I think you are a sane and reasonable person but it still worries me just a little that you seem to be "set" on bringing the bike back on the first trip......which may not be a good thing.

Keep us posted.

What would be the need to make two or more trips???

If it is as stated...Done deal.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
What would be the need to make two or more trips???
If it is as stated...Done deal.
If everything is letter perfect; title, long test ride, owner doesn't say "It only needs......", runs perfectly, .......I mean PERFECT.

Human nature being what it IS, you tend to overlook "little" things when you have stars in your eyes. Driving 6 hours just to GET there puts additional pressure on you. Those kind of deals just make me nervous in general. I have seen and heard of WAY too many of them going sour.

I will NEVER buy a vehicle the first time I see it, NEVER. Car, truck, bike, tractor.....hell even a lawn mower. :biggrin:

I have met Mr. Burk; he seems like a REALLY nice guy.
I would just hate for him to get burned.