Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 09-13-2010, 02:53 AM   #51
oneyunguy

Re: Toying with new bike idea

When I was looking for suzuki m50's , I went looking to Modern for a crate or new no kms bike. All this was over the phone, and I hardly got answers out of whoever was on the phone. I finally said to the guy, fine, if ya don't wanna give me more info, I also live in Surrey and can't just come there whenever I want, I will buy from someone else. There wasn't much he said after that. So be it then, I do not give them my business. I went to K2 Auto sales ( very close to Motorcycle World) and got my bike instead.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 AM   #52
Water Warrior 2

The only answer you will usually get over the phone is the manufacturer's list price. Other than that you pretty much have to make a personal appearance.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #53
oneyunguy

So, did you buy anything yet?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:28 AM   #54
Water Warrior 2

I was toying with the idea of a C-50 but that deal went away when Murray at Modern wigged out and threw me out. Excellant price but I won't go back. This was just a week before he closed the doors forever. Will be keeping the Vstrom for the foreseeable future. Thinking about a custom seat to fit my poor old butt. In all honesty I can't think of any bike I would rather ride.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #55
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
In all honesty I can't think of any bike I would rather ride.
Smart man. When you get to that point, it's good to know it and stop with the irrational lusting for something else just because it's new or different. Motorcycles, different conditions, and different riding plans/situations being what they are, you're never gonna' be 100% satisfied. When you get to 90% it's time to declare victory! Unless, of course, you have unlimited cash to indulge your every whim.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #56
Easy Rider

Quote:
Thinking about a custom seat to fit my poor old butt.
I'm still searching for someone who REALLY knows what makes a good seat.
Look closely at that UGLY but very functional thing that Burk put on his 500.
It's shaped more like a tractor seat and puts more weight on the thighs......and gets some off the tail bone area.
Many of the custom seats I've seen do just the opposite.......including the Mustang I have on my Shadow. It's better than stock......but just slightly.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #57
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I'm still searching for someone who REALLY knows what makes a good seat.
From everything I have gathered from reading and talking to people, it seems like the semi custom seats are marginally better than stock, and some people have good luck with them and some don't. If you really want to be sure of getting the best seat you can, you have to go to a real custom seat maker who tailors the seat to your specific anatomy and riding position. That usually means going there in person, and surrendering your seat so that they can build the new seat on the original seat pan. There are exceptions to that.

Or, you can do the same thing yourself like BB did, and will probably have to do again.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #58
Water Warrior 2

I should do fairly well if I stay local and find the right person who has experience with bike seats. Luckily I have a spare seat to leave for destruction and rebuilding. I also have some good pics of a Day Long seat fitted to a Vstrom that is apparently a 9th wonder of the world. I would love to get an actual Russell Day Long seat but the cross border shipping and cost is overly much for me. I do have the Suzuki gel seat but it isn't doing the comfort thing anymore as I get older and need more of a tractor seat design to relieve pressure points.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #59
Moedad

Quote:
:2tup:
Old 12-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #60
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Quote:
:2tup:
Yup, you ride the same critter as I do so you know where I'm coming from. I am however very sure there are bikes out there that might be more satisfying but at what cost ? I keep hearing nice things about the H-D Ultras and their kin but $26 big ones is out of my price range by a mile or 3. I have sat on a few and they are nice but do I really need to go overboard and deep in debt just to polish all that chrome. When I almost got the C-50 the price was really the best deal out there by a long way and it was a pleasant bike to ride. The only really big bike I have ridden was the Yamaha MT 01 with a 1700 cc V-twin. I might take one as a gift b/c I can't see owning and paying for a vibrator with a small gas tank. The Zuk 805 V-twins are relatively smooth running and have a nice smooth confidence inspiring power delivery. The C-50 was a good option as a new ride because of the size, weight and overall ergonomics. Lynda's M-50 no longer fits me since I changed a few things to fit her 5" 3" frame.
So the Vstrom will remain in the family and I'll throw a few $ at it in the new year after things warm up.