Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Spyder

I got a 5th gear problem..

It might be an ignition problem but it feels like somethin wierd..

I came to this board thinkin someone might gimmie a second opinion, cuz Im all out of options.

It runs, drives, rev's, and has all kinds of power in 1st threw 4th gear.. The minute I get into the mid range power in ONLY 5th gear, it has a skip or sputter (like a speed limiter but not as fast as a rev limiter)

I can get it up to almost 60 in 4th with no problem.. But if Im easy on it and shift into 5th at a lower speed it still does the same thing.

Anyone got a clue? I know its not clutch, I just replaced the plates and springs with Barnett stuff... So I know its not slippin at a high speed. Its got a new plug, so I know its not cutting out.

Any insite on this matter would do me alot of good right now. Its not my bike, Im working on it for someone and its buggin the hell out'a me right now... I build 4 cyl race engines and stroker motors. I dont deal with single cyl issues like this lol

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Badbob

Has the bike been sitting for awhile. It could be a fuel system problem if it has. New gas and a through carburetor cleaning can fix this.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: I got a 5th gear problem..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
The minute I get into the mid range power in ONLY 5th gear, it has a skip or sputter (like a speed limiter but not as fast as a rev limiter)

Its got a new plug, so I know its not cutting out.
With all due respect.......you don't know that for sure. :??:

It sounds to me like you have an arc-over in the high voltage circuit somewhere. That often shows up first when the engine is under heavy load, which normally only happens in 5th gear.

So, check/replace the spark plug wire and boot. You might be able to induce a failure by spraying a fine mist of water on same. Sometimes you can SEE the fault with it running in a VERY dark room.

(Loosely related story
Circa 1964. Trip to Florida in our 1961 Buick Invicta (hands down best car I've ever owned). Started having a miss when going up steep grades (no interstates then). Stopped at 3 dealers/shops along the way. Still did it, only under heavy load but with the 410 ci engine, that wasn't very often. Dad was fit to be tied.

Went to a car wash......next door to a shade-tree mechanic......same owner. While car was being washed, Dad was BS'ing with the owner next door about the problem with missing. Owner said "When the wash is done, pull it into the bay next door.
He closed all the doors, shut off the lights and opened the hood. WOW, a light show !!! Pulled off 3 plug boots and threw them away. Ran fine all the way home, where all the wires and boots were replaced.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
Has the bike been sitting for awhile. It could be a fuel system problem if it has. New gas and a through carburetor cleaning can fix this.
I know its not the carb because I already cleaned it..

Easy Rider.. thanks for the input. The owner was complaining at one point that his turn signal indicator light wasnt working.. I never got into it too much but I do know the bulb is good. So if there is a short someplace maybe that does have something to do with it.

I remember that water trick from workin on cars but Ive had my head burried so far in this bike that totally blew my mind. Thanks.

Ill let you guys know what happens..
Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I was having turn signal problems too. To fix it, I simply rearranged the placement of some of the standard wires and made sure my main grounds were tight. I haven't had a problem since.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I was having turn signal problems too. To fix it, I simply rearranged the placement of some of the standard wires and made sure my main grounds were tight. I haven't had a problem since.
Well the turn signals work perfectly fine, its just the dummy light next to the neutral light that doesnt work.. The only wire that I found that had any type of damage was one of the wires that goes into the had light can. One of the black wires had rubbed threw just enough to his the wire inside, I put a dab of liquid electrical tape on it to seal it up and that was that.. Everything else seems to be 100%

I also tried that water test.. got nothin. Nothing is arcing at all..
Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
I also tried that water test.. got nothin. Nothing is arcing at all..
Did you do it in the daylight or in the dark??

And if you REALLY are a seasoned mechinic, you should know that this........
I know its not the carb because I already cleaned it..
might not be true either.

I'm still betting on an electrical weakness though. Is the battery and charging system up to snuff ??

I give up.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Badbob

A tiny piece of dirt so small you can't see it with your naked eye in the right(wrong) place can cause all sorts of nasty carburetor issues. Even if its squeaky clean when you installed it there could be trash in the tank that gets in there my daughter has just gone through this on her Honda.

I've had some personal experience with the under the hood in the dark fireworks on cars I have owned and I have seen it on motorcycles. If you can't do it in the dark you can always put your hand on the wire.

Don't assume that a new spark plug is a good spark plug. I had a problem once with a Subaru that would miss badly under heavy load. The dealer spent weeks trying to track it down. They finally discovered that three of the newly installed plugs were bad.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
If you can't do it in the dark you can always put your hand on the wire.
With a slight modification, that actually is a good suggestion.

Put your finger on a long screwdriver or similar; then run the tip of the metal rod around the plug and wire.
If there is leakage, you will (likely) just feel a little tickle. If you do get a good zap, your hand won't be in a place where you will hurt yourself when you flinch.

Oh, and be sure to visit the bathroom BEFORE you do this !!

Not recommended for anyone with a pace-maker! :oops:
Old 07-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

Oh, and be sure to visit the bathroom BEFORE you do this !!
HAHAHAHAHAHa. I hope that's not coming from the voice of experience.