Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 01-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Helmets and eye glasses

Mine are all wire frames and they fit on okay as is. I seriously doubt I can pull off the Busyweb method, but I am away from home this week and can't experiment. I'm thinking maybe his helmet is a little on the loose side. (I can feel mine with my cheek bones.)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
Joho

Yep, I got the same problem too.

I have a Fulmer full face (with the flip up visor, and the flip up face) and I can manage to get my helmet OFF with my glasses on (just some cheap nascar brand sunglasses), however, for the life of me, I can't seem to put it on with the glasses in place. I'm thinking this is because when you take the helmet off, it compresses your ears and "secures" the glasses against your skull.

I sure wish my visor was tinted, because that would alleviate the problem. However, on warm days, it's nice to ride with the visor flipped up. (i like to call it aromatherapy, especially when you're driving through the mountains!!)
Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #13
mrlmd1

I never ride for more than a block or two with my visor flipped all the way up, even with glasses on, especially not at road speed. Too many bugs, stones, other debris to hit you in the face. I may crack it open a quarter inch or so, but never all the way open, defeats it's purpose.
To me, having to put the glasses on through the visor opening is not big deal, and like I said, lets the engine warm up for another 30 seconds or so while I'm fiddling with everything too get it all comfortable.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
alantf

Hi joho,
When you said that you wished your visor was tinted, isn't it possible to get a replacement visor for your helmet? Most helmets have a replacement available in case you damage the original. For my "aeroh" the replacement is available in clear & tinted. I don't know what the price might be in America, but mine cost me 24 euros (I think that's around $28), but the bike shop had one on the shelf.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

Quote:
When you said that you wished your visor was tinted, isn't it possible to get a replacement visor for your helmet? Most helmets have a replacement available in case you damage the original. For my "aeroh" the replacement is available in clear & tinted. I don't know what the price might be in America, but mine cost me 24 euros (I think that's around $28), but the bike shop had one on the shelf.
Yeah I just got one for my Gmax helmet it was 24 bucks. They also make like... i dunno its kinda like mirror tint.. and they have the mirror tint in differnt colors.. pretty cool.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #16
Joho

alantf,

ya know, I've thought about getting a different visor. But my only issue with that is the fact that I do a lot of night riding, and in those cases I have to flip down my clear visor to keep the bugs out... and having a tinted visor would force me to lift it up, which may cause bugs/debris to fly into my face...

Eh, there's pro's and con's either way we look at it!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #17
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joho
alantf,

ya know, I've thought about getting a different visor. But my only issue with that is the fact that I do a lot of night riding, and in those cases I have to flip down my clear visor to keep the bugs out... and having a tinted visor would force me to lift it up, which may cause bugs/debris to fly into my face...

Eh, there's pro's and con's either way we look at it!

I don't know about on your helmet, but mine has a quick change system on it, I swap out my clear visor for my tinted visor when I go night riding (which is not very often).
Old 01-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

My helmet has a clear visor and I have tinted clip-ons for my glasses. Easier than changing shields on a helmet and much easier to store somewhere.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
mrlmd1

My glasses have transition lenses, automatically darken on exposure to bright sunlight or UV, then lighten up again when it's darker so I don't fiddle with that problem.
You can also get a darkened plastic strip to put on the top edge of your face shield to block out the high sun from your eyes, and if the sun is in your face if you tilt your head down a little it shields your eyes quite nicely. I put a strip of leftover window tint on the upper edge of my shield, it works fine, and it's a lot cheaper than those strips for sale on the web or in the stores 'cause I already had a piece.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Transition lenses will not normally darken behind a wind shield or face shield. Hence the tinted clip-ons. Also use a strip in the upper edge of the face shield but all I had handy was white reflective safety tape. Looks kinda cool at night.