Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 01-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #21
alanmcorcoran

Re: Helmets and eye glasses

I've had the auto-darken kind in the past and found they don't really get as dark as the regular sunglasses. I have a pair of sunglass bifocals now - top set at infinity, bottom at dashboard distance, and these are working pretty well for the sun. My face is getting kind of sunburned, and maybe a little chapped, but that's aother thread.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #22
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Transition lenses will not normally darken behind a wind shield or face shield. Hence the tinted clip-ons. Also use a strip in the upper edge of the face shield but all I had handy was white reflective safety tape. Looks kinda cool at night.
Um..
Mine is transition glasses, and works pretty well here California.
May be different kind as you have experienced.
Mine go dark as regular-sun-glasses as behind my goggle.
Some face-shields may have some UV protector, so that transition does not work well.
With my goggle, it works very well. :roll:
Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 AM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyWeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Transition lenses will not normally darken behind a wind shield or face shield. Hence the tinted clip-ons. Also use a strip in the upper edge of the face shield but all I had handy was white reflective safety tape. Looks kinda cool at night.
Um..
Mine is transition glasses, and works pretty well here California.
May be different kind as you have experienced.
Mine go dark as regular-sun-glasses as behind my goggle.
Some face-shields may have some UV protector, so that transition does not work well.
With my goggle, it works very well. :roll:
Not all faceshields work the same as I have found. I get really strange effects with my older helmet and clip-ons. There is a conflict of sorts between the UV faceshield and clip-ons. White cars are pink. Some of the rocky areas along the road have equally strange colors which are quite amusing after you realize your eye sight hasn't gone south.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:37 AM   #24
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

You must be using some kind of polarization on your clipons and it's interfering with the UV coating on the shield. My polarized sunglasses do that when I get into my truck and look out the side windows (which are polarized and tinted). It's even freakier out the window of an airplane.

Either that or you dropped acid before you rode, which may or may not be a bad thing.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #25
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

Quote:
Either that or you dropped acid before you rode, which may or may not be a bad thing.
Jesus, bad waves of paranoia, madness, fear and loathing - intolerable vibrations in this place. Get out. The weasels were closing in. I could smell the ugly brutes. _Raoul Duke

Old 01-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #26
alanmcorcoran

No point in mentioning the bats. He'll see them soon enough.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #27
spuriousgrowth

So, sorry to distract from the digressions, has anyone tried close fitting prescription sport glasses? I've wanted to explore this option. Just take your helmet to the optometrist, I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out. My GZ has a close fitting strap over the passenger seat, and I'll slide the arm of my glasses under this band to put them on. It's much better than dropping them in the parking lot. Unfortunately I'm a little allergic to something around here, and contacts are miserable for me after a few hours.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #28
alanmcorcoran

I ended up buying a 3/4 helmet for commuting. It fits a bit tighter than my full face, but I can get it on and off without removing my glasses. Even, better, I can finish my coffee with it on.

Still use the full face for longer trips and any trips involving the highway. The 3/4 is lighter, easier to turn head, and offers wider peripheral vision.

I have a pair of prescription goggles but they are quite a bit "more" frame than my wire frames. I wear them for soccer and racquetball, but I haven't tried them on the bike yet.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #29
Water Warrior 2

Goggles also keep the dirt and dust out of your eyes. Learned this the hard way when I was a dirt rider.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #30
dhgeyer

I don't wear prescription glasses to drive (or ride), but on day rides I want the ability to have either clear or dark eye protection. If space is at a premium, I use a clear face shield and have sunglasses along. And, yes, they have to go on after the helmet and come off before it. Once in a while I forget and try to put my helmet on with my shades on my face. Ouch! If I have some extra carrying space, I prefer having both a clear and a tinted face shield along to swap as needed. The HJC CL-15 has a very fast change system. To make it even faster, I marked the outline of the top of the shield near the attachment points on the helmet with a permanent marker. No fumbling, just snaps right on! Just be sure to have something soft to wrap the spare one in so that it doesn't get scratched up in the saddlebag, tank bag, or whatever.