Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 02-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Riding in the rain...

Having had some (bad) experience riding the bicycle in the rain, (and running a marathon in the rain), I'm a little apprehensive about taking a long ride (out) (say 350 miles) and then getting stuck the next day in a steady downpour on the way back.

I've done a little riding in the rain with the GZ, none so far with the 'Liner, and it's not so bad when it's a light drizzle, but I could see it getting old real fast if it is coming down heavy or it's wet for a long time. To you old-time riders, I have some questions:

1) Do any of you have a strict "no ride in the rain" policy?
2) What's the longest (in time or miles) that you've gone in the rain?
3) Do you ever sort of get used to it, and just accept it as part of touring?
4) I have a leather, allegedly waterproof jacket... (ICON Motorhead) but I don't trust that leather is waterproof. Is it common for people to wear a rainsuit, or other non-natural layer OVER a heavy leather jacket?

5) Is it better to take a chance on getting wet and do a possibly nice long ride, or should I just stick close to home and wait for an extended period of predicted clear skies?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Riding in the rain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Having had some (bad) experience riding the bicycle in the rain, (and running a marathon in the rain), I'm a little apprehensive about taking a long ride (out) (say 350 miles) and then getting stuck the next day in a steady downpour on the way back.

I've done a little riding in the rain with the GZ, none so far with the 'Liner, and it's not so bad when it's a light drizzle, but I could see it getting old real fast if it is coming down heavy or it's wet for a long time. To you old-time riders, I have some questions:

4) I have a leather, allegedly waterproof jacket... (ICON Motorhead) but I don't trust that leather is waterproof. Is it common for people to wear a rainsuit, or other non-natural layer OVER a heavy leather jacket?

5) Is it better to take a chance on getting wet and do a possibly nice long ride, or should I just stick close to home and wait for an extended period of predicted clear skies?
1) I will go out in light rain providing the streets are washed clean. If I am already out and rain starts then a rain suit goes on. Or a waterproof liner in a jacket will do. A lot of it depends on the temps with rain. My first real experience with rain was at 50 some degrees F and heavy rain on the highway for a number of hours. I was not in waterproof gear and did suffer from hypothermia(sp).
2) See above, 60 to 70 MPH for a minimum of 6 hours.
3) Yes you get used to it Sort Of. You learn to dress and adapt for various weather conditions.
4) It is common for folks to wear whatever works for them. A rain suit is another layer of protection in the rain and will block the wind and lower temps are not as bad.
5) Load up on warm clothing and a rain suit. If you need them you have them. Ride Safe Alan.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
alantf

Just remember that when it starts to rain after a dry spell, that the first thing that happens is that all the tiny bits of rubber that come off the tyres & get down into the pores of the tarmac will be be washed to the surface. This means that until the road has had a steady downpour on it, it will be as slippery as hell.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
1) Yes, but the best laid plans of mice and men.......and all that!
2) 100 miles; 6 hours WITHOUT the proper gear. Godawful.
3 & 4) Yes with the proper gear (a good rain suit) it is not bad unless it turns REALLY cold.
5) I now do the second because I am a wussy. I am not afraid of rain; just avoid it when possible.

Tip of the day: Regardless of what bike you are on and how good your gear is you MUST slow down. Just because the trucks and cages can maintain 70 in relative safety does NOT mean that you can on the bike. If you have any sense at all you will discover this in the first few minutes.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Sarris

:plus1:

To Easy. I'm not a "rain gear" sorta guy, so I avoid it if I can. I usually won't start a ride while raining, but won't stop if it rains. (I don't ride typhoons)

Old 02-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
JWR

Riding in the rain is not all that bad.
With a shield on the bike and over 30 mph, about all that gets wet is your hands and knees down to your boots.
http://www.froggtoggs.com/ is a good light rain suit that is sold in most cycle shops.

Back off a little and easy on the stops. Going straight and corners are usually not bad.

Jerry

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #7

How important are the tires? The only couple of times I rode in the rain, it was a relatively light rain both times, and I still felt like my rear end was water planing pretty bad. As a relative noob, it scared the hell out of me. I've since purchased new tires, but not really ridden in the rain on them, but I've also read in other places that the gz250 is not good in the rain generally. What do the veteran riders say?

Keith

Old 02-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

My GZ is awesome in the rain. I intentionally went out and rode in the rain (parking lot exercises and such) to get used to the slip on pavement, and had a hard enough time intentionally skidding. I have since become very confident in the rain on the GZ and the Ninja. Both handle very much better than I expected, and I am still very impressed.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Chris

This veteran (bikes and military) rider will not ride in the rain. Even if I live through it I am not having any fun and that is my main purpose.
Thirty years ago I was riding down a highway in a heavy rain and not thinking much about it. I put my foot down on the wet pavement and it hydroplaned so easily I could not believe it. My foot was just like on ice! Then I realized how tiny my tire patch was on the wet pavement and cut way down on my speed. Never rode in the rain again. This is dangerous enough without dramatically increasing your odds of going down.
Not everyone agrees, of course, and I spent the night in the emergency room with a guy that is smarter now.

Chris, retired near Atlanta
Old 02-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
How important are the tires?

but I've also read in other places that the gz250 is not good in the rain generally. What do the veteran riders say?
Tires are important for riding in general and EVERYTHING for riding in the rain.

Performance when the road is wet vaires by tread style; some styles get squirrley with more tread left than others. If you have wear bars showing OR any one groove that is almost gone, you should PARK it when the road is wet.

Riding (safely) in the rain takes a completely different mindset; no leaning, no sudden stops or starts, no sudden swerves.....and in order to do that, you must be going WAY slower than normal. Brakes also lose a lot of efficiency when wet.

Can you ride fast in the rain? Sure, some riders can......if they have really good tires and practice in the rain to get a handle on the different skills needed. MOST riders should NOT, however.

As for the GZ not being good in the rain: It probably won't "stick" to the road as good as an 800 pound bike with wider tires but other than that, it really depends on the tires.