Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Cramps between the shoulder blades below the neck...

This was an old problem I had when doing 60+ mile rides on the bicycle. Basically, after about 4 hours elapsed time on a ride, the muscles that hold up my head (upper middle of the back, below the neck, between the shoulder blades) are tightened up and the ride starts to become a lot less fun. I've read some other posts around on the Internet, and there is much discussion of either relaxing one's grip (not exactly instinctual if you are battling the wind at 75+ on the superslab) or swapping out one's handlebars (probably not going to happen.)

Some suggest it's the helmet (actually, a good possibility! The bicycle position is more "flat back" and even though a bike helmet is very light, it adds to the load.) Others recommend a Mustang seat (one new way my head is apparently connected to my ass.)

Does anyone know of any "on-the-bike-as-you-are-riding" stretches, tricks or exercises I can do to reduce the mid-upper back lockup? I've improvised a few (sort of a slow-mo chicken dance with an elbow tuck), and, while they probably have increased circulation and reduced cramping, the basic stiffness returns pretty quickly.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Cramps between the shoulder blades below the neck...

I can't see how the helmet would cause your back and neck muscles to cramp up. When you are riding as fast as you go, even with a windshield, in your relatively upright position, the air hitting your helmet is trying to force your head backwards, not adding weight causing it to bend forwards and straining your back. Are you in some kind of weird position, trying to bend forward and tuck underneath the windshield? Maybe that's what's doing it. Otherwise, you are probably holding on to the bike with a tight death grip, your whole upper body all tensed up.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

You might need a backrest. Experiment with a big bag of stuff bungeed to the passenger seat area and lean back a little. If that helps I am sure there will be an aftermarket item that will just bolt on. Lynda really likes her backrest/trunk on the GZ and the M 50 will be getting a backrest this summer.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I can't see how the helmet would cause your back and neck muscles to cramp up. When you are riding as fast as you go, even with a windshield, in your relatively upright position, the air hitting your helmet is trying to force your head backwards, not adding weight causing it to bend forwards and straining your back. Are you in some kind of weird position, trying to bend forward and tuck underneath the windshield? Maybe that's what's doing it. Otherwise, you are probably holding on to the bike with a tight death grip, your whole upper body all tensed up.

Because your neck is only accustomed to holding up your melon, not a (however much it weighs)helmet and your head(however much it weighs :tongue: ).
Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
(not exactly instinctual if you are battling the wind at 75+ on the superslab)

Others recommend a Mustang seat (one new way my head is apparently connected to my ass.)

the basic stiffness returns pretty quickly.
I thought the Liner had a windshield.
If it doesn't, it should have......maybe a larger one.
You should NOT be "battling the wind" at any speed.

Your "basic stiffness" indicates a continuous strain to a place that there shouldn't be.
Might be the neck/helmet; try rotating/twisting your neck.
A replacement seat usually is for a pain MUCH lower than you describe.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
mrlmd1

Excuse me guys, but there are NO muscles below the neck, upper middle of the back, between the shoulder blades, that hold up the neck.
Alan- You are tensing up the muscles you use between your scapulas (shoulder blades) and are doing rowing-type excersizes by the pain you describe, not the posterior extensor muscles in your neck. Your handlebars may be too far back or you are gripping them too tightly and unconsciously pulling them backward.
Or you are trying to assume a position which is unnatural and requires your muscular effort to maintain, which you don't realize while you are trying to drive and not hit anything or skid out.

And Music Man-"Because your neck is only accustomed to holding up your melon, not a (however much it weighs)helmet and your head(however much it weighs"- is wrong. Upright, the little weight of a helmet would press DOWN, not forward to bend the neck unless you were leaning forward, and then your NECK muscles would hurt, not those in your upper back between your shoulder blades - ( = different muscles). And like I said, unless you are trying to hide from the wind by bending forward and ducking down behind the windshield, the air hitting your helmet would be forcing it backwards, not forwards, and would not give pain or cramping between the shoulder blades. And he had this problem on the bicycle, without the motorcycle helmet on. How much does a bike helmet weigh? A half pound? A full pound?
Alan - try and be aware or your body position on the bike (Strat) and alter it so you are not in the position that causes the pain. Either put up with the wind noise, or like Easy said, get a bigger windshield and sit more upright. Do you have the same pain riding the GZ? I bet not. Different body positioning and posture.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

I get the same thing on the GZ and the bicycle before that. I sit relatively upright, but not completely. It's a big bike and the handle bars are pretty forward.

There IS a windshield, but it's smaller than the one on my GZ. No hand protection and the wind buffets around the helmet. It's quite a bit more forward than the GZ shield, with an aggressive rake. It's not the greatest windshield but it's all integrated into the bike. Maybe there is a larger one that fits the quick release system.

I am conscious of somewhat of a deathgrip, but, the Strat requires a little more muscle to hold the throttle open. There is room for some relaxing there.

And mrlmd, I know you are a doctor and all, but there ARE muscles in the area I describe and they DO hold up your HEAD. If you have ever ridden a road bicycle for more than a few hours, you would be acutely aware of them.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
mrlmd1

I think you are using those between your shoulder blades to support or hold up your upper body/chest, and not your head per se.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Nope. Did some Internet searching because I remembered a guy that attached a bungee cord from his helmet to his bike shorts to hold... up... his... head - to finish a Ride Across America. Turns out, there is a name for this.

http://www.ultracycling.com/training/neck_pain.html

A Pain in the Neck
Shermer's Neck
Many cases of Shermer's Neck were observed at the end of Paris-Brest-Paris '03; this can affect any long-distance cyclist.

By Walter Libby, LMT and Sue Morris, LMT
Sue Morris of Corvallis, OR, crewed for Team VeloWear's mixed two person RAAM team in 2004. She employed a unique version of massage to successfully counter the effects of 3,000 miles of unrelenting abuse. Contact Morrris at sue97330@hotmail.com and Libby at (541) 517-7812.

As you near the 300-mile mark of your long anticipated race all systems appear, go! Your legs feel strong, your breathing is controlled and your energy is good. There's just this little twinge in the back of your neck... An hour later your legs still feel ready for another couple thousand miles, but your head feels like a bowling ball and the best you can do is stare down at your front wheel. Meet Shermer's Neck!

Michael Shermer grudgingly gave his name to this malady during the 1983 RAAM on his approach to Harrier, IL, nearly 2,000 miles into the race. His head felt heavy and the back of his neck was increasingly sore. He described it as, "a quick melt down." His head dropped, making it impossible for him to look up. Cradling his chin in the palm of one hand with his elbow on the padding of his aerobars, he supported his head well enough to finish the race. Despite excruciating pain during the event, his neck was back to normal within two days.

In the 21 years since Shermer experienced the first reported case of Shermer's Neck, countless other ultra-cyclists have had the same problem. Shermer's Neck typically starts between 300 and 1,000 miles into the race. In all cases the onset is sudden. From the time of first pain and weakness, the neck usually gives out within two to three hours. Symptoms always start in the back of the neck. The head feels heavy and the cyclist can't look up without assistance from a mechanical device. Once a cyclist gets Shermer's Neck, it is unlikely to leave for the remainder of the race.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I get the same thing on the GZ and the bicycle before that. I sit relatively upright, but not completely. It's a big bike and the handle bars are pretty forward.

I am conscious of somewhat of a deathgrip, but, the Strat requires a little more muscle to hold the throttle open. There is room for some relaxing there.
Guess I need to go look at your 'Liner pictures again but I suspect that the bars can be loosend easily and "pulled back" a bit without upsetting anything else......except maybe the mirrors. I know the GZ can (but levers and mirrors need adjustment). That may or may not help. Do your arms tend to be bent slightly (good) or straight and stiff (bad) ??

Edit: Just saw one picture and it looks like the bars are WAY WIDE, in addition to being kind of forward. This is almost as dumb as putting drag bars on a cruiser. I would probably have an S40 by now if it wasn't for that little bit of stupidity.

For the death grip, a LOT of people swear by the Throttle Rocker....some even for the left side too. Of course, I use the 75 cent cruise control (throttle lock) and am quite comfortable taking BOTH hands off the bars to adjust jacket, helmet, etc. or to stretch a bit as the need arises.......if the road is smooth and straight.

I keep coming back to your comment about fighting the wind. Do you really have that feeling ??