Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 04-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
dannylightning

what's your gas milage, 80 mpg here quite happy

so my first fill up keeping track of my miles 80.7 miles used exactly 1.1 galons of gas so im getting right about 80mpg that was not driving conservatively, i would say i usually speed up around half throttle or a little more. but im glad im getting that kind of milage

i got the bike up over 70mph today, probably about 72 or 73. i think it still had more in it but i don't want to push it. only reason i went that fast was to give it a little test. with all the wind noise i couldn't tell how high the engine was revving. i have only really been driving my gz for about 3 days now besides a few quick trips around the block here and there, i was already thinking i need more bike due to the low top speed every one talks about but after seeing what it can do and i got up over 70 no problem i'm thinking who really needs to go faster than 70mhp any ways. and you cant beat the gas mileage on these things..

[youtube:12motw98]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfCOjckjmK0[/youtube:12motw98]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
adrianinflorida

Re: what's your gas milage, 80 mpg here quite happy

I hit reserve at 175-180 miles consistantly, and never really go past 200-210 miles before filling back up, so about 60 MPG or so for me, I guess.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
adrianinflorida

Cool video, Danny, nice and simple.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
so my first fill up keeping track of my miles 80.7 miles used exactly 1.1 galons of gas so im getting right about 80mpg that was not driving conservatively, i would say i usually speed up around half throttle or a little more. but im glad im getting that kind of milage
Don't throw a party just yet.

While it is possible you will be getting that kind of mileage, it is HIGHLY unlikely. A single fill is not enough to really check it; too prone to "measurement errors".
You DID pay close attention to where the gas stopped on the filler neck, right? (just barely touching the bottom, hopefully) so you can duplicate that point for the next couple of fills and do an average ??

The difference between filling to the bottom of the neck and trying to cram in as much as possible can be .3-.4 gal. and is enough to throw your calculations WAY off.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
mrlmd1

FYI - 80.7/1.1=73.36 mpg, which is a great deal different than "right about 80mpg".. Don't brag, get a calculator, don't guesstimate.
That's not much different than everyone else riding conservatively.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
FYI - 80.7/1.1=73.36 mpg, ........
Hmmmm....so one should actually DO the math ??? :roll: :biggrin:
That little trailing .1 gal. tells the story even better than my guestimated .3-.4 gal.

Let's see.....if the fill was off by just another .1, that would be ........67.25!!

Bigger sample size reduces the impact of small errors !!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
dannylightning

Quote:
FYI - 80.7/1.1=73.36 mpg, which is a great deal different than "right about 80mpg".. Don't brag, get a calculator, don't guesstimate.
That's not much different than everyone else riding conservatively.

well in my head i was thinking if it would have went to 81 miles and used 1.1 gallons it would be exactly 80 miles, guess i was wrong :curse: i was pretty damn happy when i thought it got 80 but hell 80 miles on barley over a galon of gas is great!!!!!!

i was not trying to brag i was just really happy thinking i got 80mpg and wondering how many other people get 80 on the suzuki web site they claim 80mpg for the new ones..
Old 04-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
Cool video, Danny, nice and simple.
Thanks, i want to get one of some one following me in the car, i like to get pictures and video of everything
Old 04-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
FYI - 80.7/1.1=73.36 mpg, ........
Hmmmm....so one should actually DO the math ??? :roll: :biggrin:
That little trailing .1 gal. tells the story even better than my guestimated .3-.4 gal.

Let's see.....if the fill was off by just another .1, that would be ........67.25!!

Bigger sample size reduces the impact of small errors !!
I've always wondered about the claims I see from some on here about mpg when I think that I'm pretty consistently around 60 - 65 mpg, especially b/c my bike seems to run just fine. I recently filled up and calculated that I was getting more than 70 mpg this last fill up. Thought the increase might be due to having the windshield properly adjusted now, but like Easy said, I knew I'd have to see several "refills" before I could be sure. Is it possible a windshield could increase the mpg that much? Seems like too much of an increase to me from just a windshield.

Keith

PS - It is kind of shocking to see how .1 of a gallon can throw off your mpg estimate so much - but the Suzuki web site does list 82 mpg by the GZ250, though I"ve always taken any company's claims about MPG with a grain of salt

Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
but the Suzuki web site does list 82 mpg by the GZ250, though I"ve always taken any company's claims about MPG with a grain of salt

those companys probably run it on a test track, no starting and stopping and dont go really fast. i did some driving in the country and a lot in the city. so for around town that' still really good mileage that i got. im still happy.

it is surprising that .1 of a gallon would throw it off that much.