Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #21
GeeZee250

Re: Think my time with my GZ is sadly over . . . what now?

I just purchased a S40. I really like it... kinda like the GZ but with a little more power, enough to get me over the local mountains with a minimum of downshifting. I have to sell my GZ and I admit I do not really want to. It has only 3500 miles and, in several ways, I like its styling a little more than the S40. However, the S40 is now the bike for me... we are getting along just fine... did not take long to bond at all. I just do not ride enough to keep both bikes on the road and no other member of my household is a rider. I hope someone nice will purchase my GZ and enjoy it as much as I have.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #22
oneyunguy

Water Warrior:

I havnen't "heard" that myself, but I do buy parts from them from time to time as they are local and are a little cheaper than Suzuki dealers are.

I will contact them though and inquire, if you don't ask...

As for servicing, I am the type of guy to do it all myself. I just can't stomach the costs of servicing or repair other people charge.
Not only that, I get to know my own bike better. Bikes are fairly simple to work on. One of the reasons I like the smaller bikes is for just that, the less the better to have to repair/maintain. All in all a cheaper but FUN venture!
Old 03-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #23
oneyunguy

Thanks for all the support folks! I don't plan on leaving the forum. This is one of the best, most supportive forums I have seen yet! :rawk:

Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #24
Fish Baseball

Water Warrior.....

LAMS = learner approved motorcycle scheme, replaces the old 250 only on your learners down here in Australia. Its a power to weight ratio thing, 56 horses as opposed to 66-70 on the full blown go-fast-now version. Pretty much another example of Australia becoming a nanny state.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Lic ... riders.htm

:curse: <== just like most things here in Australia....
Old 03-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Fish, that is different than the British scheme. But no matter, I think these lower powered bikes are a good thing for new riders. Too many young, primarily male riders get caught up in the bigger is better syndrome. Peer pressure and the sense of whimping out if you don't have mega horses is a killer. It is great to have freedom of choice but it must be tempered with common sense.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #26
Fish Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Fish, that is different than the British scheme. But no matter, I think these lower powered bikes are a good thing for new riders. Too many young, primarily male riders get caught up in the bigger is better syndrome. Peer pressure and the sense of whimping out if you don't have mega horses is a killer. It is great to have freedom of choice but it must be tempered with common sense.

And I do agree strongly there....but there is also my argument. Young Riders who have no idea about being on the road, yes i do totally agree, but in my situation I've been driving for 17 years and think i have a fair idea of what to expect out on the road (everyone else is trying to kill you), so making 1 rule to fit all, and making that rule for the stupidest affect all kinda bothers me is all.

That being said I personally have no intention of going bigger, having way too much (safe) fun on my GZ. :yes:
Old 03-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

A fair bit of maturity and road sense will make a big difference. You are obviously not in the targeted group that the LAMS is meant to save from themselves.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #28
Fish Baseball

On that note, how does the British scheme work? Purely for my own edification of course.

And thanks for the massive compliment!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #29
Water Warrior 2

The British sytem works with horsepower, age and experience. It is kinda complex but seems to work. A total newbie(16 years old) is only allowed a 250 or 125, can't remember which. It goes up in power with experience and age. IIRC a newbie 21 or older could start on my Vstrom but it would be programmed to produce a max of 33 horsepower. After a period of time the bike would/could be reprogrammed for max power output. After enough time, age and experience there are no restrictions. The system works for them and probably saves a lot of injuries and funerals.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #30
Fish Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The British sytem works with horsepower, age and experience. It is kinda complex but seems to work. A total newbie(16 years old) is only allowed a 250 or 125, can't remember which. It goes up in power with experience and age. IIRC a newbie 21 or older could start on my Vstrom but it would be programmed to produce a max of 33 horsepower. After a period of time the bike would/could be reprogrammed for max power output. After enough time, age and experience there are no restrictions. The system works for them and probably saves a lot of injuries and funerals.
You see, a little thought put into it makes sense! Over here it's 15 months on "L" plates, (min 6 months) and then another two years on your "P's"....unless your a fully licensed car driver where it reduces down to a year on P's. Until your off your plates completely your under the LAMS scheme.

Weirdly enough you can drive a 6 litre V8, unrestricted, once you've got your provisional car license.