Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #41
blaine

Re: Ever crashed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D Video
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
At least he gets to bear all the physical pain.
Sheesh
:plus1:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #42
cayuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I rarely brake anymore going through curves and I am constantly telling myself "keep steering, Keep steering, steer, steer - no matter what." I am trying to replace my natural SR with one that is to ALWAYS KEEP STEERING!!!
Great advise, Alan, thanks! I'm working on this every time I go out, now.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 09-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #43
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayuse
Great advice, Alan, thanks! I'm working on this every time I go out, now.
Keith Code comes off to me as a bit of an eccentric, but if you can look past his (lack of) writing skills and his somewhat off-putting dogmatic style, I think his ideas and suggestions are useful. His book "A Twist of the Wrist" was recommended to me by a sport bike riding guy I work with in Chicago, but, after I read the (mixed) reviews, I went with "Twist of the Wrist II" instead.

It's not as well written or well put together as David Hough's "Proficient" books, but it presents very simple (yet powerful) riding techniques that have improved my riding almost immediately. Part of my experience might be due to having read the first few chapters just before setting out on a 2000 plus miler, so I had lots of "practice time". But if you are a novice and are looking to get better (and more confident) in the curves, check it out and let me know what you think.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #44
sneakercat

Had my first unplanned exit just a few hours ago. I'm sore, got a nice hematoma forming on my hip, a little bit of road rash, but I walked away and the bike's only got scratches on front fender, mirror, brake fluid box, brake, footpeg and exhaust.

Was making a tight hairpin turn on what's *supposed* to be a one-way road up a little mountain/big hill. Right in the bendiest part of that turn I met a car who'd decided to use the ascending road to descend (there are two separate roads- one up, one down; I was going up). I grabbed a fistful of front brake while still turning and lowsided. Was only going 15-20mph max, and was wearing a helmet, jacket, boots so it's really not bad, just enough to put a little fear in me- which will make me pay attention better next time I'm out.

I wanted to be mad at the drivers coming down the wrong direction on a wet and slippery, leafy one lane road. But really- I wasn't paying as close attention as I could have and I grabbed that fistful of brake without righting myself first. It could have been a deer, or a kid walking down that path instead of a car going wrong way, and I think the result would have been the same- I still would have lowsided. It's a great wake up call that no matter how attentive you think you're being, that one instant can change everything.

To add insult to injury, my bike's been having problems starting (??need carb cleaner/change plugs??? will post in another section of forum if I can't troubleshoot it out) and so I had to pop it into first to get it started again to get home. Embarrassing in front of the two ladies I'd just skidded out in front of!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #45
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakercat
To add insult to injury, my bike's been having problems starting (??need carb cleaner/change plugs??? will post in another section of forum if I can't troubleshoot it out) and so I had to pop it into first to get it started again to get home.
Wow. Glad that you're mostly OK.

The starting problem could be partly due to an aging battery too.
A push start actually works better in 2nd or even 3rd gear; less back tire sliding.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #46
Water Warrior 2

Glad you are relatively unscathed and up and about. Things could certainly have been a lot worse overall. Sadly some folks think a one way roadway only applies to others.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #47
ArizonaKev

Glad to hear you are ok sneaker. And I am impressed with your ability to overcome the natural tendency to simply get angry at the other driver, and instead see what your part in it was and what you can take away from the situation. Kudos to you for that, and glad you are ok : )

AZ Kev