Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
music man

Re: Load motorcycle into the Astro van

Busyweb, you need to find you a old retired wheelchair modified mini-van, they lower the floor in them which will give you more head room.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I would say "Just Go For It."
Longer ramps might be more trouble than they are worth. What you need is practice, practice and more practice to get comfy with the set-up and develope confidence in new skills and methods.
OK, Sir.
Let me try it, and the installing the winch at the motorcycle is easier than current setup... ha ha ha, the front rack could be very useful for this time.
Another idea popped-up, install winch permanentely at the bike, so when my bike is stuck on the mud, I could use it ???
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
+1 dont worry about the cable busting. a motor cycle is like a feather to a good wench...
Oki Toki, Danny, thanks.
Actually, using elec. winch is the first time for me and was nervours to start using it... ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Busyweb, you need to find you a old retired wheelchair modified mini-van, they lower the floor in them which will give you more head room.
Wow, thanks for the idea.
If they do those modification to the van, my van also could be modified??? (if it costs small... I'll research it)
Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Busy I hope I did not confuse you. I did not suggest mounting the winch on the front rack, just attach the cable end to the rack. As for modding your van similar to a wheel chair van the cost might give you a heart attack. These are fairly complicated because the structural integrity of the van can not be compromised.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
music man

Quote:
. As for modding your van similar to a wheel chair van the cost might give you a heart attack. These are fairly complicated because the structural integrity of the van can not be compromised.

Ditto on that one WW, that is why I told him to find a retired wheelchair van, because to have one converted is about half the price of a new mini-van (I have a friend in a wheelchair that just bought a new one), not counting the price of the van.

And if you can get your motorcycle in the side door, they also already have a ramp built in them to boot. :2tup:
Old 09-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
BusyWeb

Quote:
Busy I hope I did not confuse you. I did not suggest mounting the winch on the front rack, just attach the cable end to the rack. As for modding your van similar to a wheel chair van the cost might give you a heart attack. These are fairly complicated because the structural integrity of the van can not be compromised.
Ha ha ha,
I got it, I thought that attach winch to the motorcycle side...
My bad...
One of the problems solved.. ^^
Thanks

The van modification >>> just researching it, if IF if.. ...if..

Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #16
mrlmd1

Any reason you just can't slowly power it up into the van with a little throttle and clutch control while you walk up beside it?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #17
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Any reason you just can't slowly power it up into the van with a little throttle and clutch control while you walk up beside it?
That sounds to me like an accident waiting to happen.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #18
BusyWeb

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
That sounds to me like an accident waiting to happen.
Yes, before winch implementation, I actually hoped that slowly riding (walk up) up the motorcycle which is in idle mode might be good enough for loading.
I tried couple of different attempts, all felt very dangerous for me and failed all.
And another problem was that motorcycle tires are slippery(spinning itself) during the attempts when the bike is on high angle.
My guess was that my ramps are not well fitted with this dirt tires ??? not sure.
That's the one of the reasons that I started the winch project along with other reasons.

Some great help with an Auto Repair Shop Mechanic(where my van was fixed, and he is doing 4x4 truck adventure himself), the wheel chock location will be moved passenger side little bit, and the winch location would be changed with some winch wire rollers. And he gave me many other advices about it.
And he want and like to do some modification by himself ... what a great guy!! Lucky, I met him. ha ha ha
Today, he gave/help me an idea about two separated ramps which was attached with velcros.
He told me that buy some hinges >> he attached the two ramps with hinges for me... free ha ha ha
That was a great ide, and very convenient...
Hope better loading next time after these updates.

Anyway, thank for the comments ^^
Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
I've done this many times onto the bed of my truck (Titan) and never once had a problem with it. The only tricky part is using the brake and throttle at the same time while holding the bike up, but do it once or twice and you get the hang of it pretty quickly.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #20
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Quote:
I've done this many times onto the bed of my truck (Titan) and never once had a problem with it. The only tricky part is using the brake and throttle at the same time while holding the bike up, but do it once or twice and you get the hang of it pretty quickly.
Hi, Mr. Patrick...
Yes... I hope I could do it myself easily...
Strangely, whenever I am feeling some fear/danger especially on the motorcyle events, I usually give up early and try to find another easier methods.
Not only for these kind of projects, but also when riding against tricky roads like hard cornering, dirts, or breaking/stopping kind of things.

For this loading, my fear was very big when I got some stuck(spinning wheel) top of the ramps.
I may(might) have to try it one day again if the jump power battery is out of juice... ha ha ha
So, I have to practice it and be prepared for it.
Thanks for the advice, let me practice it...