Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
bjrscj

First Oil Change

I have two basic questions:

1. The manual says to fill the oil up 1300 ml if not changing the filter. However, my oil was not up to the full line and there was a ton of room still left. What do I do?

2. When I went to fill up my oil, the first bottle I used poured out dark brown, while the second bottle I poured out was light amber color. It seems awfully strange that two of the exact same oil would look so different. Any suggestions on what I do now, or if the oil change will be fine for another 3k miles?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
geezer

Re: First Oil Change

fill till its in the middle of the window give or take, there should be some marks on the sight glass for you to go by, you wanna be inbetween them. sounds like you might have put some used oil in the bike. sometimes peeps use oil jugs as drain containers, buy em both new? if both were new you might be over reacting, plus the seal on the cap should have been locked on both bottles. better change your filter as well, just sayin
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
bjrscj

Yes, I did buy them both new and there was a seal on both. It may not matter at all, but the colors were DISTINCTLY different. The bike only has 5000 miles on it. I did get it used, so I was thinking about changing the filter, but I haven't found one around yet. I'll have to order it online. I was thinking about waiting until 8k to change the oil again along with the filter.

Unfortunately, I listened to my stupidity instead of the manual, and I filled the oil up past 1300 mL so the window showed full. It's not hard to fix, I suppose, but does it matter if it's filled more?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
geezer

its nver a good idea to over fill, crankcase pressures could possibly blow seals and gaskets. fat chance it will happen to your bike being overfilled an ounce or two but drain it anyway to the proper level. well do you know if the PO changed the filter at all and what milage? if he just did it then dont worry about it and do it next oil change if you dont know, dont chance it. i dont think you have to drian the oil to replace the filter.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
bjrscj

If you don't have to drain the oil to change the filter, that should be no problem. I would definitely rather take the extra precautions for sure. Thanks for your advice.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
geezer

sure. some feel its unessisary to change the filter every time, and its probably not but....who cares? :lol: change it, twould suck to have an engine failure then you wouldnt be able to sleep at night thinkin it might have been because of leaving the filter.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
mrlmd1

Instead of draining the excess oil out of the bottom drain, which is messy, you can suck/pump a little out with a small hand pump like that from a Windex bottle or similar. Just put the straw down the filler hole and pump out into a container until you get the oil fill level correct. Remember, the bike has to be level, NOT on the side stand, to check for proper level in the site window.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
geezer

thats good advice there, ill be sure to remember that
Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Rookie Rider

For sure leave it straight up and not on kickstand for acurate reading.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

They make a cool vacuum oil change thing for lawnmowers that works really well for bikes too.

Check it out

http://www.liquivac.com/