Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
buud

Hunting for first gear

Read the post by New Guy regarding the search for first gear when coming to a stop.

I seem to be getting worse; most of the time I down shift and shoot for first gear just before coming to a complete stop. At standstill I check for first, am in gear, but not sure which gear in all cases. Some times I start out in second and on occasion I do third...in which case, do a quick down shift and take what I can get in traffic.

Since the basic riding course, I have 100 miles on a 2007 2500 mile bike which runs very well, so its definitely what we used to call operator error. I wonder if I'm developing a bad habit that I'm not aware of... I engage the clutch slightly before starting up and am in gear, just seem to have a time making sure I'm in first.

Sometimes I notice that engaging slightly will let it slide into first with a "a chunk". Have also tried reaching up to neutral and then to first, this works well if I can get it done.

All comments on New Guy's post were appreciated and I would be grateful for any further tips for another new guy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
JWR

Re: Hunting for first gear

You are doing every thing right.
Just need more seat time.

The bike will always shift easier with a slight roll and engage the clutch slightly helps to get it into gear.

Enjoy the ride.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by buud
Read the post by New Guy regarding the search for first gear when coming to a stop.

I seem to be getting worse; most of the time I down shift and shoot for first gear just before coming to a complete stop. At standstill I check for first, am in gear, but not sure which gear in all cases. Some times I start out in second and on occasion I do third...in which case, do a quick down shift and take what I can get in traffic.
Welcome to the forum.It sounds like you are trying to downshift all your gears just before you stop.It will be easier & safer if you downshift each gear to match your speed.That way when you come to a stop,you downshift to 1st,no second guessing what gear your in.Also by matching your gear to your speed,if you need to accelerate in a hurry,you can with no hesitation or fumbling for the next lower gear.It's also better for the bike to stay in the RPM range.Hope this helped.
:cool:

Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
buud

Thank you JWR and blaine for your quick replies and advice.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Yup, good responses. And might I suggest an oil and filter change if you haven't already. Fresh oil will always make a difference. Do you know if the previous owner had the 600 mile check done ? Do you have a maintenance history ? Might save you a lot of grief in the future.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
Gz Rider

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Yeah. I'll just ditto everyone else.

Remember, this is a cheap, entry-level bike. Some of the cushier options of bigger bikes (like seemlessly meshing gears) are not found on the Gz

It's still great for what it is and will take your abuse in stride.
Keep riding. You'll get better.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
buud

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give your input.

One disappointment I had was the previous owner didn't seem to have a clue regarding maintenance. I didn't get the owner's manual, maintenance history or original purchase papers that I asked for, so I had the fluids changed, oil and air filters, rear brake drum cleaned (shoes were okay), and front pads replaced. The mechanic adjusted the clutch and brought the tire pressure up to spec. I think that was it.

Put the previous advice into practice last night... found a really large office complex parking lot with lots of isles, markings, intersections, etc. I practiced stopping, starting, shifting - up/down. Had some immediate and surprising success. I think that being out of the traffic situation permitted me to concentrate and smooth out the various procedures.

Being new, it is not rote yet and even though I have always driven stick in cars, it is a new set of movements to "memorize". So I appreciate the kind advice all of you have given, now as blaine said I think seat time may be the answer.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Yup.

Revisit this top after you have a little over 500 miles logged.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Good for you Buud. A vacant parking lot and some practice is an excellant idea to hone your skills. More saddle time will fix you right up.