Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #21
Way

Re: I Accidentally Left the Petcock in Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
After sitting so long,it wouldn't hurt to add some berrymans b12 or SeaFoam and go for a good long ride.

Mmmm, me like Berrymans. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2011, 04:15 AM   #22
Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I would perform an oil change and pull the spark plug and blow some compressed air down into the chamber.
Let it sit overnight and then fire it up in the morning.

Several people on the forum have done this over the last year and we haven't heard any horror stories, yet
Cool! Didn't think of the compressed air. I've got one of those little portable air tanks with a nozzle on it for this kind of stuff. I probably live on one of the worst areas here. My bike is parked about 10 feet from the side of the road. We use road salt here in winter which means in the summer the streets are DUSTY. The lawn in front of my house is about 6 feet higher than the lawn in back, which means my walk-in basement leads out to the flood plain from the river that's about 4 feet from the back of my barn. So, if I park in front, I have dust to contend with. In the back, high humidity with the possibility of flooding such as from Irene. :curse:
Old 11-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #23
Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvacustoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Ethanol is an oxygenate, but must be more corrosive than the MTBE, so they let you use the latter in higher doses.
It's all just watered down garbage.

"I don't always burn fossil fuel. But when I do, I prefer real gasoline."
Dont forget... Stay thirsty my friends!
Haha!

Seems I have enough to drive me to drink as it is. :tongue:

Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 AM   #24
Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
In the 5 years of being a member on 3 different forums you are the 2nd person to bring up the idea of filling the "entire" crankcase for storage purposes. I wouldn't bother. I think that is a very long term storage idea(think years) and totally not needed. Your off season is not so long to consider a long term storage procedure.
Gonna get some flack here but here is what I have been doing. If the bike is 1/3 or less on the oil change schedule I don't bother with an oil change for the winter down time. We have a somewhat short warmer winter though.
The bike is basically ready to go for a ride anytime with a full tank, Stabil and a well lubed chain. Check the tire pressures and lights and wave good bye. The battery gets it's Tender feeding once a month. I try to keep it simple and it seems to work for me.
The 2nd person? So I'm not totally unique???!!! :tongue: j/k

I was thinking I'm only going to get maybe a week's worth of riding at most. What I was going to do was change the oil, blow out the combustion chamber, air filter, put some Berryman's and a little Stabil in the gas and get a few more miles on her. I don't know but with things around here, I fight a constant battle with rust issues on my tools etc. I was thinking I would probably just fill it the rest of the way with oil once I put it in storage as I'll have 1/2 quart left over anyway. In Spring I change out to synthetic. Battery will sit in the house so it doesn't get too cold. Hopefully we won't get much -20F or worse -30F this year. Been lucky the last couple of years but you never know. I might build a small lean-to for the bike at the side of the house and just close it in for winter. It's out of the flood zone and out of most of the dust there hopefully. Oily rags in the intake and exhaust and I should be good to go (or store).
Late April/early May is when I think of taking the bike out. Or a good January thaw lol But no it will stay till warm weather gets here again.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #25
Gz Rider

Old 11-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way
Quote:
In the 5 years of being a member on 3 different forums you are the 2nd person to bring up the idea of filling the "entire" crankcase for storage purposes. I wouldn't bother. I think that is a very long term storage idea(think years) and totally not needed. Your off season is not so long to consider a long term storage procedure.
Gonna get some flack here but here is what I have been doing. If the bike is 1/3 or less on the oil change schedule I don't bother with an oil change for the winter down time. We have a somewhat short warmer winter though.
The bike is basically ready to go for a ride anytime with a full tank, Stabil and a well lubed chain. Check the tire pressures and lights and wave good bye. The battery gets it's Tender feeding once a month. I try to keep it simple and it seems to work for me.
The 2nd person? So I'm not totally unique???!!! :tongue: j/k

I was thinking I'm only going to get maybe a week's worth of riding at most. What I was going to do was change the oil, blow out the combustion chamber, air filter, put some Berryman's and a little Stabil in the gas and get a few more miles on her. I don't know but with things around here, I fight a constant battle with rust issues on my tools etc. I was thinking I would probably just fill it the rest of the way with oil once I put it in storage as I'll have 1/2 quart left over anyway. In Spring I change out to synthetic. Battery will sit in the house so it doesn't get too cold. Hopefully we won't get much -20F or worse -30F this year. Been lucky the last couple of years but you never know. I might build a small lean-to for the bike at the side of the house and just close it in for winter. It's out of the flood zone and out of most of the dust there hopefully. Oily rags in the intake and exhaust and I should be good to go (or store).
Late April/early May is when I think of taking the bike out. Or a good January thaw lol But no it will stay till warm weather gets here again.
Make that 2nd out of 3 now. A 3rd person mentioned a total fill late last night on a different forum. The consensus was just fill to the full line as usual when changing the oil. Also you could just switch to the synthetic now and save yourself an oil change in the spring. The oil will be just fine sitting out the winter in the bike. Keep it simple.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #27
Way

Quote:
Make that 2nd out of 3 now. A 3rd person mentioned a total fill late last night on a different forum. The consensus was just fill to the full line as usual when changing the oil. Also you could just switch to the synthetic now and save yourself an oil change in the spring. The oil will be just fine sitting out the winter in the bike. Keep it simple.
I guess it shows people are reading their manuals. :2tup:

My train of thought on the oil change in the Spring is that if I take a couple of rides with the fresh oil, it's going to degrade some over the winter from the contaminants and so would need to be changed before riding for next season.. I could be totally wrong on that though.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #28
blaine

I change my oil before storage in the winter.I never change in the spring until ready for regular oil change.
:cool:

Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #29
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Motor oil isn't really contaminated by particulates or debris or whatever. It suspends them.
Oil filters remove as much of the particulates as they can. But oil doesn't loose its ability to lubricate.

Sitting oil can change PH over time and become more acidic. But we're talking extended periods. Not just a measly 3 month winter break.
I mean, how long does oil sit in a container on the shelf? How fresh is the oil you buy, really?

If particulates and contaminates actually became part of the oil, then it wouldn't be possible to filter old oil, hydro-crack, add a additive package it and produce things like this:

Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #30
Way

Well I'm not one to argue with experience.

I still have go pick up some oil anyway so I'll just get some synthetic and call it good.