Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #21
Water Warrior 2

Re: First ride on new GZ 250.

Insurance is the only thing that will cover your own butt if you accidently cripple some one. You could spend the rest of your life supporting some poor soul in a wheel chair.
Insurance is like your helmet. You should have it before the crash.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #22
Road_Clam

I'm 46, have a perfect driving record, and live in NH, USA through Progressive our GZ250 is $137 for 100K/300K liability coverage only. Generally speaking, I don't waste my money on additional collision in my particular situation. There is no leins on any of my bikes.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
I'm 46, have a perfect driving record, and live in NH, USA through Progressive our GZ250 is $137 for 100K/300K liability coverage only. Generally speaking, I don't waste my money on additional collision in my particular situation. There is no leins on any of my bikes.
My bike's value isn't that great anymore but I keep telling myself the write off value would be a nice down payment on the next one.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #24
vikz250

My insurance is a whopping $13/month!!That is with 2 tickets from my wife and 1 from me!!FYI My ticket was totally not my fault hehehe..
Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
Water Warrior 2

:shocked: :poke2: O_o :drool: :cuss: :puke: :curse: :jawdrop: :poorbaby:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz250
My insurance is a whopping $13/month!!That is with 2 tickets from my wife and 1 from me!!FYI My ticket was totally not my fault hehehe..
:shocked: :poke2: O_o :drool: :jawdrop: :poorbaby: :curse: :sad: :cuss: O_o

Old 04-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
clonak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
I don't like that one bit!!!!!! So if someone runs into you, writes your bike/car off, and breaks every bone in your body, they can just say "Sorry I've no cash or assets, so it's your tough luck" Similarly if you hit somebody can you afford to pay for repairs to their vehicle plus any damages awarded to them, or will you just say "tough luck pal". In my opinion, you must have the stupedest government in the world for not making it compulsary, and the stupedest drivers/riders for not getting insurance. :??: If this makes you think, then good, because I'm talking about YOUR stupidity. I'm not usually this blunt, but in this case I think my bluntness is well earned. :cuss:
Everyones entitled to their own opinion, but it pays to know all the facts before you call someone 'stupid'

I agree, I would love to see compulsary third party insurance but thats for the govt to sort out. I would say it wont be too far away.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonak
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
I don't like that one bit!!!!!! So if someone runs into you, writes your bike/car off, and breaks every bone in your body, they can just say "Sorry I've no cash or assets, so it's your tough luck" Similarly if you hit somebody can you afford to pay for repairs to their vehicle plus any damages awarded to them, or will you just say "tough luck pal". In my opinion, you must have the stupedest government in the world for not making it compulsary, and the stupedest drivers/riders for not getting insurance. :??: If this makes you think, then good, because I'm talking about YOUR stupidity. I'm not usually this blunt, but in this case I think my bluntness is well earned. :cuss:
Everyones entitled to their own opinion, but it pays to know all the facts before you call someone 'stupid'

I agree, I would love to see compulsary third party insurance but thats for the govt to sort out. I would say it wont be too far away.
By your own admission you had a quote of $213.44 a year and don't do it until forced by the government. You had 2 minor accidents that didn't cost much out of pocket. What about the next one that is serious and causes a lifetime disability to someone. Think of it this way: you have retained the services of a large insurance company's lawyers for $213.44 a year who will work for you. It is only common sense to be insured even with a perfect driving record. Any money you are saving now will seem like a drop in a bucket if you have one major oops in the future.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #28
alantf

Quote:

O.k., give us the facts then. Why aren't you prepared to spend such a small (relatively) sum, rather than saying blithely "I'm never going to have an accident, but If I do, & cripple the guy he can whistle for the $2 million that the court awarded him because I crippled him for life"
Old 04-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #29
clonak

If you read back to what I said, it says "I currently dont have insurance", it does not say "Im never getting insurance".
where do you think I got that quote from ? looking up the prices to insure my newly warranted bike, which upto now, hasnt had a warrant, therefore was not insurable. as well as in the last 6/7 months of owning the bike its been out of the garage about 8 times, sitting for the last 3 months.
And being, upto recently, under 25y/o it has actually been alot more expensive, as well as being on learners licence. That quote is for a full licence.
And then theres the financial restrictions. You may say "you cant afford NOT to be insured" but if the money simply isnt there to pay it, then how are you suppose to pay it. When it comes to food/roof or insurance, its a no brainer. Now I am not running at a loss again, it makes thing alot easier.

I agree with the compulary insurance because it will make it alot easier for 'uninsurable' people to get insurance. Like disquilified drivers, or under 25s, or learners. And it _should_(hopefully) be incorperated in Registration costs. Not saying I am going to wait untill I am forced to.

I do stand by my statement that insurance is a scam, but again, that statement does not say "I am never getting insurance." It may be a small cost to pay, _if_ the unspeakable happens, but over 20/30 years its a major cost for something that _hasnt_ happened.
Thats my opinion, you can believe differently, its your right. Dont read too far into things people say on forums, its hard to get the full jist of the statements.

Now we have succefully hijacked this thread to a debate about insurance, I sugest if you wish to continue this debate you start another thread.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #30
alantf

Quote:
I sugest if you wish to continue this debate you start another thread.
Naw... That's the way we do it on this site. :crackup

Glad you're going to get insurance. Problem is, it's the times that you ride without insurance, now, that's the problem. As a newbie to riding, you're statistically more likely to have an accident. Even experienced riders have accidents. A coupla years ago, I got sideswiped by a 4X4 that I was overtaking. He moved to the left without checking his mirror. Luckily my injuries were minor, but there was a lot of damage to the bike. His insurance company paid up - but, if he'd had no insurance & could prove that he couldn't pay (He was on old man - a pensioner) then an accident that wasn't my fault could have cost me thousands, and if I had been injured it would have cost me even more.