Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
Badbob

Ammo Can Saddle Bags

I mounted two M2A1 aka 50cal ammo cans as saddle bags today. They work well but are really to small. My rain suit takes up a whole can. I have learned a lot doing this and I didn't mess up a $200 set of hard bags trying figure out how to do it. Ammos cans cost $5 each. I intend for this to be an on going project experimenting with hard bags for the GZ250.

For those who don't know what an M2A1 ammo can looks like:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-23-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Bill

When you get a chance a few pictures with text on the mounting methods would be great. This is a great idea for an inexpensive and secure set of saddle bags. I'm not in the market for a set of saddle bags since both my wife and I ride solo and carry what we need in tail bags. But if there is a way to mount these with a quick (yet secure) release then I would be more than just tempted.

Cheers!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
Badbob

I plan on photos and some instructions on how to do it. I started with these cans because I hve 50 of them. The next size up is a SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) box. I only have two of these so I'm not real keen on drilling holes in them until I've settled on the mounting hardware. Current mounting hardware consists of 5/16" treaded rod lock nuts, regular nuts, regular washers, fender washers and a stainless steel bag support I got off eBay, They can be removed by opening the lids and removing two lock nuts and fender washers.

Why do it? I have not found any bags made for a GZ250 that are much more than decorative and none that I would consider secure. I want to carry better tools on my bike and leave them there all the time. I want to carry minor spare parts such as bulbs, fuses, and tire repair kits. I want to carry a digital camera and have secure storage for this on the bike. I have a Concealed Weapons Permit and go armed almost everywhere. There are a few places I need to go that I can't carry and I need secure storage. There are very few hand guns bigger than your typical mouse gun that will easily fit under the GZ250 seat. A full sized 1911 would be totally out of the question. In other words I have a real need for hard, lockable, water proofstorage that can't easily be removed from the bike. Ammo cans fit the bill and they are cheap to boot.

I'm also considering making hard bags from fiberglass or adapting some other existing boxes or bag. Pelican boxes?

If anyone has any ideas they would like to contribute I would like to hear them.

Future plans include:
  • Locks
    Paint
    Fixing rattles
    Larger Box
    Stainless Steel Metric Mounting hardware so it doesn't rust and so I don't need to carry more tools.
Ideas:
  • Quick Release instead of nuts so I could take it with me easier.
    Stronger mounting - Bracket instead of bolts.
    Reflectors
    Decals Reflective
    LED lighting.
    Tie Downs
    Chrome
    Trays to organize stuff.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Badbob

A very dirty BMW with ammo can panniers. It's 20mm can I think.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Badbob

Some Photos
I barely got home in time to find a sunny spot so the light isn't that great. Hopefully you can see well enough to get the general idea. I would like to move them back some and closer to the seat but this will take some time to design and some welding.

The boxes definitely need to be larger. As you can see in one of the photos my rain suit completely fills one of the cans.

The handles rattle when the road is rough. I'll need to do something about that.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Haha, thats pretty awesome Bob. Great work on those! Are you going to paint them to match the bike once you get it all how you want it?

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-24-2006, 05:45 AM   #7
Badbob

Yes, I plan to paint them. Right now I'm thinking just some glossy black with some reflective decals. I have those on my one of my helmets and they really light up in head lights. That sparkly Suzuki black might be hard to do in my garage. When I came up with this idea I wanted to leave them green with the 50cal stencil on the outside. I never could find one that had not been painted over.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:54 AM   #8
SimbasDaddy

Love the .50 Cal ammo cans on the bike Bob. They're the perfect size for the GZ250. I will be heading out the military surplus store this weekend to get me some. Wish I would have saved a bunch of them when I was in the service. Would definately know how you mounted them once you get a final setup.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:08 AM   #9
Badbob

The small Harbor Freight tool bags (on sale now for $3.99) are a perfect fit for the 50cal cans. They are almost exactly the same dimensions as the in side of the box. Stops the rattle from hard objects in the boxes and lets me just reach in and grab all the contents and go. If you hace a sissy bar and need more room you can hang the tool bag from the handles no tie downs required.

You might want to look at SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) boxes. These are a bit larger. A gallon milk jug will fit in to one.

You are going to love how easy it is to get into these. Beats the hell ot of velcro and zippers.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:46 PM   #10
oneyunguy

Gee, that looks pretty cool. The black with the green works as it is. I have a hard time adding stuff to my bike, I like what a bike looks like alone the best. I usually ride with a webbed extra helmet tie down holding a 6-pack cooler bag with the stuff I need. That way, when I dont need anything, the bike is plain. Most things I add are hidden or REALLY needed. I would love to add a windshield, and BadBob you got in one of these photos, is the windshield I want! Is it quick to remove and attach? One of the ways to stop the handle from rattlin' is to keep it in the upright position. That wouldnt look bad in my opinion either.