Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
El Diablo

The biker wave

Just started riding last week. Before I guess I never really noticed, but now I see motorcycle's everywhere. Kinda of like when you buy a new car and all of a sudden you notice all the other cars of same make.

Discovered that around here other bikers give you an acknowledgment wave. Not really a wave so much as it is sticking a hand out mostly at a downward angle. Just another part of being a cool biker dude :cool:

I was wondering if that type "wave" is the universal equivalent of a secret society secret handshake or have I just happened on a few motorcycle guys that just happen to wave similarly? Down makes sense as it does not look like a hand signal for turning left or right.

Am I on to something here or just the by product of an over imaginative mind? :roll:

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
TehBilly

Send a message via Yahoo to TehBilly
The Motorcycle Wave is something that's very real, and I've seen waves from bikers that are as varied as the bikes I've seen. Pretty much every biker I've seen save a few snobbish HD-riders will wave in their own way.

The two I tend to employ (depending on who I'm waving at) are the point and the "cruiser wave". When pointing I just use the index and middle finger to point in the general direction of the other rider. The cruiser wave is where I extend my arm down and out at about a 45 degree angle until we've passed each other.

I think the general consensus is that it doesn't matter how you wave, just that you do wave. Owning a bike makes you part of a "club". Crotch rockets, import or local cruisers, choppers - doesn't matter. We're all two-wheeled menaces!

That's my take on it at least.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I don't much care for the wave but feel obligated to return it.

In you experience, you'll also being to notice that some "sportbike" guys will not wave at you because you are on a "cruiser" and that's not "cool". Also, you may notice cruiser guys not wave to sportbike guys. It's really pretty stupid.

I don't drive around and wave at every car of the same make.

Anyway, the point towards the ground seems to be pretty universal for the "cool" guys.

It would look pretty goofy if every waver stuck their hand way up over their heads and gave a flashy side-to-side wave.

You know, like when you are saying goodbye to your family as the truck that is taking you to work in the big city slowly creeps over the hill and you get the feeling that you might never see them again. That kind of wave...

.... you know what...
Maybe I'll start doing that.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
bigwonton

... and then there's the return wave I gave while stopped at a stop sign. I had a momentary brain-fart and forgot what happens when you take your hand off the clutch while the bike is in gear.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Littlethumper

I used to ride with my bf on his sportsbike before and he always wave on any bikes we meet on the road either touring,cruisers
or sports but some are really snob like what tehbilly said, like they pretend they didnt see you at all! But it didnt affect
my bf from doing it. I guess its like showing who's friendly or not,huh. Its like they can pick whoever they want to waved to :lol:

And i get used to it, i wave with him too with a smile...
But now that he turn his zx14 to a drag bike... cant ride no more... :sad:
Oh well, he got me my own ride now so am happy.I guess i had to do the wave too,... by my own :lol:

Drive safe ya all...

Old 06-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonton
... and then there's the return wave I gave while stopped at a stop sign. I had a momentary brain-fart and forgot what happens when you take your hand off the clutch while the bike is in gear.
I which case, and other similar situations, a nod of the head is an acceptable substitute.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
bikerbroad60

The bikers around here use the "pointing down" wave.I think it's kind of cool,actually! I have had three Wranglers in the past 11 years,and there is a camaraderie among Wrangler drivers as well.We all wave to one another.Those who don't wave...well...different strokes,but I like waving.
:rawk:
Annie
Old 06-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Sarris

Wave

I give all bikers the peace sign whether they wave or not. I did see a helmet sticker that said "Wave Goddammit" LOL

:chop:
Old 06-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
rayzuki

Around here I have noticed that everyone waves to everyone. No discrimination. I think it cool. Just a good feeling of being out with friends. I waved to a guy the other day, he was just pulling out of a driveway as I drove by. He didn't wave back because his hands were busy but I did get a head nod.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Around here it's everybody waves, points or gestures however they are comfortable. The low-wind-resistance (seat level) finger point or peace sign is popular with the sport crowd and the subtle, full-hand wrist shake is what the cruiser folks do. Some people are less comfortable (or too busy) to take their left hand off the grip, so they nod their head or raise the chin exaggeratedly in acknowledgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
It would look pretty goofy if every waver stuck their hand way up over their heads and gave a flashy side-to-side wave.
Speaking of this, I got this particular type of wave from a guy on a scooter today. I did my normal, but it took me off guard a little bit, especially considering I had read this thread less than an hour before I went out.

On a side note, we have a lot of lakes around here, and the boating crowd does the flamboyant, whole-arm wave to other boaters. It's the same type of thing there, just a bit different.