Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
greatmaul

Hallo from Sacramento

Hi!

I'm Frank, and I've got a 2000 GZ250 purchased just about a month ago with 6980 miles on it after an *exhausting* search on craigslist. I really loved the GZ and even though I looked at about 6 other kinds, I finally spotted one on my lunch break, right around the corner from where I work! I literally raced over there, looked at it, and handed the lady $1000 cash I had been carrying around for a week, giving her the other $350 and picking up the bike the next day in a pick up truck.

What a ride. I should say that I'd never ridden a motorcycle before, and I'm 40 *cough*plus*cough* years old already. I suppose that makes me something of a cliche, but so be it. I love the little bike, took the MSF BRC and got my license all within a few weeks.

I commute about 85 miles into Sacramento (170 miles round trip) and have done this 5 or 6 times now on the GZ. I really like it, and feel pretty ok on the freeway even though sometimes I have trouble getting it up to 65, much less 70. The bike came with a nice windshield and 2 saddle bags, which are all good, and since then I've added some MSR hand guards, which look like Mickey Mouse ears, but once I learned about wind chill at about 40 degrees ambient, I don't really care what they look like so long as they keep the feeling in my fingers!

I'm adding a trunk (Givi clone) and a nice tank bag (Icon Urban) all via eBay, and I've since upgraded my cold weather gear. The plan is to ride just about year round. My other car barely gets 30mpg so some of the impetus is financial. Anyways, thanks for all of the advice I've gleaned so far from the forums, which is a ton, and look forward to knowing some of y'all.

Ride safe!
Frank

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Hallo from Sacramento

Welcome to the family.Ride safe. :cool:

Old 11-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Welcome Frank. That must be quite a commute on a GZ no matter what the weather. Mickey Mouse ears are a handy item to have when temps drop down. Lynda's GZ had handguards and Symtec grip heaters which worked very well for her. The grip heaters were on her gotta have list when she upgraded to a M-50 Suzuki 3 years later.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
greatmaul

Thanks Blaine and WW!! I've had the heated grips suggested by another experienced rider I know and I might just have to do that. That one ride was really an eye opener for me about the hazards of cold temperatures, and right now that's about all we've got for the foreseeable future.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Californiasporttouring has Symtec grip heaters for 7/8th in bars. Wire them up with a relay triggered by the tail light circuit so they are automatically shut off whenever the key is off. The kit includes a hi/low switch too.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Gz Rider

Old 11-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. Ride safe.