Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 06-02-2007, 04:11 AM   #11
abadflea

I want to know about the handle bars you have on the fender moded bike also!? Thats the drag bar style i would like to put on mine. How much? They are 7/8 bars right? Is this something i can do in my drive way, or should i get the bars and have my shop do it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
7/8" drag bars are pretty cheap actually. I remember looking for them when i had my gz and the prices were about 50 bucks. I think drag specialties carries them. I've replaced 2 bars so far (one on the gz and one on the spirit). Its not a hard job at all. Biggest pain is getting the grips off unless you are going to swap them out for something better, then just cut and yank them off. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to change the bar out.

His isn't actually a 'drag' bar but more of a very subtle beach bar. Again, pretty sure drag specialties carries these. Biggest concern with lower bars is clearance when you turn. Some riser extensions can always clear that up though.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 06-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #13
Jordan310

Dupo,

Didnt you say you were going to get Z bars?
Im shopping for handlebars too. Can I get some oppinions, links, etc ...

Id like some help on which risers, where to get them, and to get a z bar or something that does not take away too much from the feel of the stock bars, but looks better.

Im going for a sportier look.

GREAT job on the front fender nate. Thanks! I got it, and will be send ing you a PayPal payment on Tuesday. Looks bad ass. Not quite like yours, not like a full cafe Racer, but almost looks like its from a stock naked bike. Again, .. great job.

Id love to get the rear fender modified as well.
Damn it. Cant you come to Miami?? Crap.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #14
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
I was thinking about z bars, but my brake line is as far as its going to go with the fork extensions. So no bar swap for me until i get an extended brake line.

Any handle bars i find, i find on ebay. Google does bring up some good results too. Just never bookmarked anything.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 06-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #15
2006 gz

Jordan, glad the fender made it there safely and that you like it. Thats yours sitting on my bike!

If you want to save your grips, use compressed air with a blowgun attachment. Stick it under the grip and blast it of. been using this trick on bicycles for a loooooong time. The bars are what they call "superbike", like the lawson replica and similiar to the bandit. The pics are the harley 13.5" shocks and the 1/2" lowered front shock. This DRASTICALLY improved handling and got rid of the lowered look. Just a few changes to come for the little cruiser. The wheels in the background are going on my cb750 caferacer. once thats done I will have some time to make the radical changes. Mini cafe with rearsets, modded tank for knees and clubman bars, 18"wheels, etc............

Old 06-04-2007, 06:04 AM   #16
Jordan310

Great great work.
I wish you lived closer so I could get some help modding my bike as well.

I like she shocks a lot. Look good.
Not sure about the handlebar mirrors, and I think I might go for a more dramatic change with the handlebars, but overall pretty nice. =)

Hey, but wait a min. What exhuast is that??
Old 06-04-2007, 07:33 AM   #17
2006 gz

its a shorty dunstall style with a removable baffle. jc whitney has them for around $50.00. sounds really good!
NATE
Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #18
Jordan310

Nate,

I looked at it, and without the baffle, it looks really good.
Re-wrapable, and looks clean.

I took a look, and its 27" long however!

What modifications did you make if any to the muffler to get it on, and did you go by the how to on this site of welding a reducer pipe on first?

How are you keeping your back pressure? looks like you have a big outlet without the baffle.

EDIT: Nevamind, its the shorty. =)
Old 06-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #19
2006 gz

i took the suggestions in the how to section about the muffler swap. welded on a spacer that i made from some plumbing pipe frome lowes. as for backpressure there is a little with the muffler packing and the restrictiveness of the stock header pipe. the performance is a whole lot better!! nice sound. you get noticed but thats alright. especially it lets other drivers know that you are there! NATE
Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #20
Jordan310

As well, can you send me the type of hd shocks you used and describe any adjustments made to mount them?
I see them on ebay a lot but of different types.

Thanks bro.