Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
Vegas Street Rider

Just a footnote. The purpose of this thread is to tell us about a trip (local or cross-country) and the general mileage, not just your daily riding. We would, of course, love pictures as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-01-2017, 04:17 AM   #12
rmartin

I would say that my rides pretty much stay in a 30 mile radius of wherever I'm located. If I am going farther than that I take the bigger bike.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #13
CMS

Long trip

One of an earlier Gz rider from Tennessee posted a trip ride from Fla to Alaska and back on his GZ. Can't remember his name but it was a great story. cms

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953

Old 05-06-2018, 05:17 AM   #14
Menachem

Hey all, I recently purchased a 2005 gz250 with 1500 miles and I'm new to riding

Let's say eventually I want to ride it from LA to Phoenix (400 miles).. would that be an okay ride?

Mainly my concern is what's the max speed I can safely ride at so I don't burn up my transmission? Can I safely cruise at 75 for six hours?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2018, 05:36 AM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menachem View Post
Hey all, I recently purchased a 2005 gz250 with 1500 miles and I'm new to riding

Let's say eventually I want to ride it from LA to Phoenix (400 miles).. would that be an okay ride?

Mainly my concern is what's the max speed I can safely ride at so I don't burn up my transmission? Can I safely cruise at 75 for six hours?

I wouldn't do it. A speed of 65 mph max is better for reliability and safety. The GZ is meant for lesser speeds and it's design reflects this. Even at 65 you will be at the mercy of long inclines and headwinds. My late wife Lynda rode her GZ at 60 or just slightly above with no problems. The bike did top out at approx 80 but it wasn't happy for very long. You have to remember the GZ is mostly a 3rd world bike where speeds are lower and a smaller bike is a common mode of travel. The GZ is not an ideal bike for multilane freeways that are common in the USA.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #16
Vegas Street Rider

The GZ is primarily a street cruiser. It is great on secondary roads as well where the speeds are usually 55 to 60 mph. Unfortunately, here in the Southwest there is a lot of space betwixt and between places and we see mainly interstate highways connecting it all, as you know living in the LA area. I would opt for the secondary coastal highways going North. There is some beautiful country to ride and not have to maintain freeway speeds.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
The GZ is primarily a street cruiser. It is great on secondary roads as well where the speeds are usually 55 to 60 mph. Unfortunately, here in the Southwest there is a lot of space betwixt and between places and we see mainly interstate highways connecting it all, as you know living in the LA area. I would opt for the secondary coastal highways going North. There is some beautiful country to ride and not have to maintain freeway speeds.
Totally agree. Even with a more powerful bike the secondary road network is my choice too. More scenic and relaxing. You stop in anywhere in a smaller town for a bite to eat and make new friends at a local diner for food that doesn't come prepackaged and warmed up. The local folks will direct you to points of interest not shown on the map.

Freeways and interstates are for getting somewhere fast or quickly. Truckers and folks on the go need them. Get on the road less travelled and smell the flowers. Stop and see the sights that are often hidden away from view. As we have found in the past there are amazing folks just living off the beaten path with a fantastic history to share if you sit down over a coffee and say Hi.

I honestly think I live in Paradise because many of those same folks come to me in my wide spot in the road and share their stories over a coffee. I know folks who have climbed Mount Everest and years ago I met an old fellow who was a key figure in producing the 1st atomic bomb dropped on Japan.

It is a two way street. Meet folks in their backyard and they will meet you in your backyard. The human race is more fascinating than most of us can imagine. Strike up a conversation with some one from another part of the world. Get their insights rather than the local news channel babble. At 73 years young I am loving being alive to meet new friends with their stories to tell. And tell them your stories too. They may find your story just as fantastic as theirs is to you.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:39 AM   #18
Menachem

Thank you all for the replies! I will take all your advice and out it to good use

Old 07-11-2021, 05:26 PM   #19
Mlamey

Rode 136 today and wish I had some new cushion on the seat . Got the same bike yours looks great.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:43 PM   #20
EddieSC

I did 600 miles in one day. It was definitely an interesting experience.