Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Re: 0-60 times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The young LEO got to find out exactly how fast his big Dodge 440 V-8 would go. 144 MPH. I was slightly slower but not WOT yet.
yowza! What sort of vehicle were you running? I got a lot of that out of my system as well when I was 18 or so. Lucky to be alive, yes.
Ah hah, I wondered who I would reel in with that statement. Believe it or not I was driving a 1967 Rambler American. It was the ultimate sleeper on the street. That was the 1st year American Motors built their own V-8 engines. It had a factory low compression 290 Cubic Inch engine with a slightly large 4 barrel carb on a 2 inch aluminum spacer and dual exhausts.
The speedo was circular and had marks well after the actual numbers stopped at 120 mph. 135 was my fastest with a tad left over in the skinny pedal.
A few years later I had an afternoon conversation with a fellow who was on the AMC racing team. At the time they (his team)used "4" 1968 Americans with hicomp 290's. A few tweaks with suspension and factory engine parts made them very competitive. Then the factory said no more and pulled out that group of cars to concentrate on other things. I think it was the Javelin/AMX cars from then on until Chrysler Corp. bought them out.