Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Nightsbane

Warmup

Just wondering what your thoughts on warmup are. I noticed even on a hot day the bike may need to use the choke to get going. I find using the choke going down the road annoying because it is running at higher base idle rpms, and I can't hear my power usage in the gears, and it's easy to kill it. Yesterday I instead started it up in neutral and flipped the choke all the way on and let it sit idling at that higher choke speed for a couple minutes and then shut off the the choke completely to drive off. Seemed to work much better, thought I wanted to verify I wasn't damaging the engine leaving it idling high from the choke like that for a few minutes sitting.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
alantf

Re: Warmup

In my handbook, Suzuki recommend using choke (when needed) to start, and leaving it on for ½ minute, then knocking it off. With my European bike, I rarely need the choke, but our American members seem to recommend using the choke to keep the revs up on starting, then reducing it bit by bit as the engine warms up.

It's not a good idea to let an air cooled bike stand stationary with the engine running, as it needs air flowing over the fins to keep it cool.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
geezer

wen i take off on a cold mrning i start it up and immediatly ride off full chock over the distance of 2 miles igradually turn the choke down till its off, done

Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
mrlmd1

You may need the choke for starting if the bike has been sitting for hours, regardless of the ambient outside temp. Put it on to halfway or so, try and start it. If it won't start in 2-3 sec, turn it up a little. After the bike starts and runs for 15-30 sec. slowly turn it down if it's idling really fast. If the bike is running smoothly, just ride off at a moderate speed, do not let the bike sit at idle to warm up. That is unnecessary and depending on how long it sits like that, can be detrimental. As you ride, slowly and gradually in small steps, turn down the choke to it's off position. You may not have to ride more than 1-2 min or 1 mile or so to get it to be off. You have to judge by how the engine sounds and performs and this doesn't take very long to figure out.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
geezer

my main grudge with sitting at idle is itsa waste of fuel to

Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
savrip

Mine takes about 2 minutes to warm up. I know there are some adjustments needed, but I'm going to get the back wheel mounted again and change the oil before I proceed with other projects.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Suncross

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
You may need the choke for starting if the bike has been sitting for hours, regardless of the ambient outside temp. Put it on to halfway or so, try and start it. If it won't start in 2-3 sec, turn it up a little. After the bike starts and runs for 15-30 sec. slowly turn it down if it's idling really fast. If the bike is running smoothly, just ride off at a moderate speed, do not let the bike sit at idle to warm up. That is unnecessary and depending on how long it sits like that, can be detrimental. As you ride, slowly and gradually in small steps, turn down the choke to it's off position. You may not have to ride more than 1-2 min or 1 mile or so to get it to be off. You have to judge by how the engine sounds and performs and this doesn't take very long to figure out.
How exactly is it being detrimental?

I was going to ask this same question. I ride my bike every day, and I have to use the choke to get it warmed up. I found that letting it sit for about a minute - 30 seconds really does the trick, but then I turn the choke off and let it idle for a few more minutes. Is letting it sit there for that few minutes really going to hurt my bike? I only ask because I am new to riding. Also, new to manual transmission vehicles. I have never driven a standard car or truck.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
geezer

some peope think so, but probably not if you dont sit for more than a few mins. now your routine, i wouldnt be doing all that idling, get on the bike and ride! leave at full choke then take some away as you ride then its off, you should not stall after only a mile or so of riding after you remove the choke. stop wasting fuel ma dude
Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
Rookie Rider

I let it warm up too, and as idle gets faster i turn that white knob under seat to lower the idle. Bout 5 minutes and im off.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
I let it warm up too, and as idle gets faster i turn that white knob under seat to lower the idle. Bout 5 minutes and im off.
The white knob is the Idle screw and should be adjusted to about 1200 rpm,when the bike is warm,and than left alone.If your choke is working properly,and the idle is set properly,the idle should lower as you take the choke off.
:2tup: