Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 07-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #31
Water Warrior 2

Re: Baron Engine Guard?????

Probably best to return the bars. You could just keep raising the pedal but that would lead to different problems. Your experience is helpful in knowing the Baron bars are a bad fit as is. Maybe some one can offer a solution to the fit problem without a major project ensuing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #32
HumbleNewRider

I agree. I've already got them repackaged for sending back. I had already raised the pedal has high as the adjustment would permit.

The odd thing is that Kirk posted photos of the Baron engine guard about 18 months ago that looked like a great fit, and he didn't have any problem with clearance. I'm wonder if his bike used a different brake lever. I don't know what year his bike is. Mine is a 2008 - and I know it has a different lever (or at least the brake lever comes adjusted/positioned radically differently) than on the GZ250's used in the motorcycle safety course, which I suspect were older than 2008.

I thought a measurement photo might help someone else decide if the Baron Guard would fit their bike. So, the last picture I posted (with the tape measure) shows the distance (6 3/8 inches) from the front of the rubber encased foot peg to the front edge of the brake pedal --- with the pedal depressed. I regard that as at least 1/2 inch too long for comfortable clearance of the Baron Engine Guard. Even then, you'd have to keep your toe back - and needing precise foot placement is not idea for emergency braking.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #33
alantf

[attachment=0:20knnm6l]b3.jpg[/attachment:20knnm6l]

This is mine. It's a SPAAN, but dunno if you can get them in America. And I also know that it works well if the bike goes down. The bar got bent, but was still strong enough that my legs were ok.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #34
alantf

BTW, to upload the photos, have you used the uploader on the site? Below the "post reply" is the uploader.

Browse>add the file>place in line. When they're posted, one click instantly enlarges them to full screen. :2tup:
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #35
mrlmd1

I had absolutely no problem with the brake pedal hitting the MC guard after I raised the pedal less than one inch, as I said in previous posts. This is not an issue at all, and depending on where your pedal is at the time of installation, you may not even have to do that. I was quite pleased with the MC guard.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #36
HumbleNewRider

Alantf -- You've got the guard that i want !!! I had seen a photo in another topic that you posted, but I couldn't find a supplier. I did look at what I think was the SPAAN catalog on-line. But, I wasn't sure about ordering it --- and custom's fees, etc. I might have to look into that again. But, I'd definitely be stuck with it once it arrived from overseas.

mrlmd1 - I'll look into the MC guard again. Although it fit perfectly on your bike, the Baron guard fit Kirk's bike perfect only. So, I'm just plain leery of hassle and return shipping expense of ordering another guard that comes that low. But, between the two brands - I wanted to confirm your earlier suspicion that the Baron guard might not be as strong in a crash. The longer connecting arms it has does not make crash bar as rigid as I would like -- especially for a crash.

(Oh, I did use the forum's photo uploader to upload all of the photos -- and selected a different size for each posting, but they all show up the same size. Maybe I'm not clicking on some button / tab or something.)

Thanks everyone. I'm going to the Suzuki dealership today to see what they have to say.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #37
Water Warrior 2

Humble, as you can see the Spaan bar does fit and you know who the supplier is. Do a bit more research to find the exact cost. Look to the U.K. suppliers for Spaan bike parts. They seem to be the cheapest on the globe for some reason and you may get the bars from there without selling your first born.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #38
alantf

Word of warning about the SPAAN bars. If you do manage to get one, make sure you order the bars for the 250. The bars for the 125 won't fit. The Spanish supplier sent the 125 bars to the bike shop, and he had to send them back, because the bottom fixings are different, as the 125 has only one exhaust pipe.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #39
greatmaul

Thats great info about the brake pedal being so high. All this time I kinda thought it was just me or there was something wrong with my foot. I'll try to adjust it.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #40
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul
Thats great info about the brake pedal being so high. All this time I kinda thought it was just me or there was something wrong with my foot. I'll try to adjust it.
Adjust the pedal for comfort and ease of use. Then adjust the rear brake light switch to come on with just a little movement of the pedal.