Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
wacio

It all depend if the engine is in timing. If timing was maintained - even if piston touched the valves they could be undamaged - piston would move stuck valves back. But if Timing was original culprit - and piston touched valves while supported by cam shaft - they are bent and this might be reason they're stuck. I've seen videos on YouTube of successful valve straightening - but at worse - check and replace.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2019, 12:02 AM   #12
wacio

BTW - I re-read your original post - one comment. Bike will stall immediately if shifted into gear while side stand is down. Safety switch.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #13
yashbhatt215

Hey guys, I know its been a while. I got caught up with my full time job and I also purchased a car which turned out to be a project of its own (still chipping away at it). Recently, I got into a motorcycle accident while I was on vacation in California and hurt myself badly. I learned an important lesson: Always wear full gear! Helmet, padded jacket, reinforced gloves, thick pants. Luckily I was wearing a helmet. My spine and brain are unaffected thankfully.

Ironically, I have all the time in the world to work on my motorcycle now because I am unable to work my real job. Its been about 11 days since my accident and I am somewhat mobile now. Back in the garage! I need help getting my timing chain off. My coworker said there should be a master link that I can knock out to remove it. Not sure how to do this exactly. I think I need a tool for that? I also watched these two videos which were very helpful:

Someone in this thread said there might be a step by step video on removing and replacing valves. If someone could find it for me that would LIT. From the videos Im thinking I have to loosen the tensioner bolts and the bolts on the head sprocket to get the cam shaft off. What I really need to remove is the camshaft. Once I get the camshaft off I should be able to remove the head and expose the valves/pistion I think. Please correct me if I am wrong. Any advice is appreciated!

Old 08-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #14
yashbhatt215

I think I am going to order a motorcycle cam chain breaker like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Serv...0AAOSw4SxbTqzp

Only problem is the sizes they supply are 2.2 mm / 2.9 mm / 3.8 mm

My chain's rivets are about .03 inch (.762mm). Not sure if it will still work? I don't want to damage the chain.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #15
wacio

Do not break apart the cam chain. Once you remove valve cover - you'll be able to remove camshaft and sprocket without breaking chain. Than remove head with chain in place. Avoid dropping chain (or anything else) into crankcase. If you do - get the magnet on telescoping stick so you can get it out.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #16
yashbhatt215

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacio View Post
Do not break apart the cam chain. Once you remove valve cover - you'll be able to remove camshaft and sprocket without breaking chain. Than remove head with chain in place. Avoid dropping chain (or anything else) into crankcase. If you do - get the magnet on telescoping stick so you can get it out.
Hey I know this is a whole year later but, I finally got the cam shaft and head casing off.

Found the problem very quickly. The metal seal between the casing and the exhaust valve shattered and was stuck between the valve and the casing keeping it stuck open. Now I need to find a replacement but the part isn't in the cam shaft/valve assembly exploded view parts list.

I don't know how to post a picture. But I want to emphasize this seal is between the valve and casing on the side of the piston head (not camshaft).

For example:

NOT:

Tags
carburetor, leakage, stall, valve