Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
dentheman

Got my MSF course out of the way.

I wanted to do it later in the fall when it would be cooler, but their website said classes were filling up 'better register now'. The first day was Aug. 27th. The first day was 1/2 day, second was full day, and third was 1/2 day. When the weather cools down they change to 2 full days. There were 8 students. The cost was $195.

When I first saw the two instructors I thought: 'motorcycle gang'. (stereotype) But they were excellent instructors, very professional and took a personal interest in us learning to ride properly and safely.

My two big problems were 'thinking too much' about what to do next thus getting confused, and 'looking down' at my path when turning. I pretty much got over the first problem, but looking down caused me to go out of the line on the curve when being evaluated. The instructor gave me a talking too and a couple practice runs then a retest on the curve and I passed! There was one woman in the class and she had problems with the curve and the quick stop. She also passed on the retest.

Overall, a very worthwhile course. I know the areas I need to really practice on to become a safe rider. Now to study the Texas Motorcycle Operator's Manual and take the written test.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
dhgeyer

Re: Got my MSF course out of the way.

Congratulations!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Interesting - in CA you do the written first to get your permit, then you do the MSF to get your license. In any case, good to get that step out of the way. What kind of bikes did they have?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
dentheman

Kawasaki 125 Eliminators and GZ 250s. I finally got to see and ride an actual GZ. It fit well and I was comfortable on it, I LIKE IT!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
I LIKE IT!
You better like it. The GZ was built with you in mind. :2tup:

Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

When I took my MSF, they let me use my own personal GZ. I was the only one in the class that had a ride with mirrors and a gas tank that wasn't all effed up. Those were heady days!!! (Course, after class was over, a few of the other students climbed aboard block long Harley Land Yachts with pipes I could park my Suzi in, but during actual instruction hours, I was the king.) Only had about 300 odd miles on it then.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
When I took my MSF, they let me use my own personal GZ. I was the only one in the class that had a ride with mirrors and a gas tank that wasn't all effed up. Those were heady days!!! (Course, after class was over, a few of the other students climbed aboard block long Harley Land Yachts with pipes I could park my Suzi in, but during actual instruction hours, I was the king.) Only had about 300 odd miles on it then.
One guy brought a scooter that he was allowed to use, another had some naked super sport that wasn't registered and was very loud, he wasn't allowed to use it. If he would have used it we wouldn't be able to hear the instructors. It was was hard enough for me to hear them some times just from the wind blowing across my helmet. Maybe it was better that I didn't hear what they were yelling. :cuss:
Old 08-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
One guy brought a scooter that he was allowed to use, another had some naked super sport that wasn't registered and was very loud, he wasn't allowed to use it. If he would have used it we wouldn't be able to hear the instructors. It was was hard enough for me to hear them some times just from the wind blowing across my helmet. Maybe it was better that I didn't hear what they were yelling. :cuss:
SOME PEOPLE HAVE NO CLUE LOL
Old 08-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Palaka

Send a message via MSN to Palaka

When I did mine we had one guy on a Ruckus, one on a Buell, me on my gz than everyone else had the Hyosung. Overall the class was pretty good. We did have a lady that anytime she tried to lean the bike for a turn she would have a panic attack. Needless to say she didn't pass the course.

** edit** just realized the link is not working. should be fixed now.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
emory70

here in fl, the rules have changed. no learner permits. mst class is required to get your license. take the class, do the written and riding evaluations, and get a card. take card to dmv and get license.

we had GZs, nighthawks, a yamaha enduro, yamaha tw200s, and tu250s. i rode a tw200, and really liked it. i wanted one, but they are pretty uncommon, and therefore expensive. i always liked the gz, and found one at a decent price, so that's what i got.