Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Romie69

"Divet in Head" on 2008

Hi,
I've got an 08 that starting knocking pretty hard about a month and a half ago, took it in to the dealership to get 3000 mile tune up, and they called back saying I had a big divet on a head and thats what was making the hard knocking sound. Yes, I was a little late on getting the 3000 mile checkup, like about 1800 miles over but its still an 08.. A DIVET in a head? Sounds to me like soft metal and a manufacturing defect. I was two months past my warrenty work when I took it in about a month ago, so that sucks even more!! I didn't go and have the the dealership do my 600 mile check so the Suzuki rep is denying me so it's out of my pocket. Does anyone know if the Magnuson-Moss act might work here? Does anyone know who the Suzuki Rep for Colorado is?
What is the average cost out there for a new head, cam and to put it all back together again + labor and a wet finger.

Thanks for any help out there folks!!
R

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
dannylightning

Re: "Divet in Head" on 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romie69
Hi,
I've got an 08 that starting knocking pretty hard about a month and a half ago, took it in to the dealership to get 3000 mile tune up, and they called back saying I had a big divet on a head and thats what was making the hard knocking sound. Yes, I was a little late on getting the 3000 mile checkup, like about 1800 miles over but its still an 08.. A DIVET in a head? Sounds to me like soft metal and a manufacturing defect. I was two months past my warrenty work when I took it in about a month ago, so that sucks even more!! I didn't go and have the the dealership do my 600 mile check so the Suzuki rep is denying me so it's out of my pocket. Does anyone know if the Magnuson-Moss act might work here? Does anyone know who the Suzuki Rep for Colorado is?
What is the average cost out there for a new head, cam and to put it all back together again + labor and a wet finger.

Thanks for any help out there folks!!
R
i dont have a answer for you but im sure the dealer can tell you how much its going to cost. they should have gave you a estimate when the called, you may want to go and get a second opinion also just to make sure they are being honest.

when you warranty has run out i really don't think there is much that you can do.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Magnuson-Moss act might work here? Does anyone know who the Suzuki Rep for Colorado is?
What the hell is a "divot" in a head ???
Sounds to me like they are screwing you over......big time.

You should be able to find the Suzuki contact information in the warranty information you got with the bike. Simply missing a recommended service interval should NOT cause a major mechanical malfunction.

[Edit] I didn't get the part about being OUT of warranty. If that is true, this is going to be REAL hard and you are probably screwed........but stilll worth a little effort.

Then.....you should contact the BBB or your state's Attorney General's office to see if there is a Consumer Protection agency. M-M law might indeed apply here; other state laws might be even more helpful. You might also want to check with motorcycle clubs, etc, in your area to see if there is a "bike lawyer" who helps with stuff like this ....free or real cheap.

Good luck. This is a real bummer.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
bonehead

I'm with Easy on this one. Never heard of a divot and I have been around engines 40+ years. Now, did you suck a valve and it get pushed up against the head? Any word on the internal damage or did they just say a "divot". Something had to have happened to cause so called "divot".
Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Really gotta ask. Has the bike ever been serviced ?? Have you changed oil and filter yourself or just ridden it till it was too late ??

Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Magnuson-Moss act might work here? Does anyone know who the Suzuki Rep for Colorado is?
What the hell is a "divot" in a head ???.
i dont know easy. they would have really had to tear the motor apart to find something like that going on tho. don't you think??. unless part of the head got crushed or dented really bad, if so you could see that just looking at it.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Romie69

Yes, I did change the oil, and have monitoried the oil level to make sure I it wasn't riding low. I'll ask for the photo's they said they sent to the rep so I can see, so I'll post them and possibly get some feedback from you guys on it. I''l be honest, I dont really know too much about bikes but I'm starting to find out. About further damage inside just that a head has a large divot and needs to be replaced. Thanks for the feedback and I'll post again when I get more info.

R
Old 09-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
bonehead

Quote:
Yes, I did change the oil, and have monitoried the oil level to make sure I it wasn't riding low. I'll ask for the photo's they said they sent to the rep so I can see, so I'll post them and possibly get some feedback from you guys on it. I''l be honest, I dont really know too much about bikes but I'm starting to find out. About further damage inside just that a head has a large divot and needs to be replaced. Thanks for the feedback and I'll post again when I get more info.

R
If they are getting reps and engineers involved,ithas been my experience that, they might take care of it. That usually means there was a defect of some kind and they want to get the plant involved. Hope it all works out for ya.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
just that a head has a large divot and needs to be replaced.
The key point is going to be "What caused the divot?".

Most likely that something got in there that shouldn't be.....like a piece of a valve....or a chunk of metal from the casting and milling process.......or a piece of a broken valve spring.............
OR
The head itself may have had a casting defect and a piece just fell out (extremely rare, I would think).

It sounds like you were slightly negligent by not doing some maintenance on schedule but it also sounds like that had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the failure.

Again, good luck!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Sounds like a dealer actually doing the right thing. What a concept.