Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #21
QUICKSTRONG

Re: Bike was sitting Now won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
There's no problem with starting the bike with the side stand down. So long as it's in neutral. The safety switch only kicks in (to turn the engine off) if you try to put it in gear with the stand down. This is a safety feature, so you can't ride off with the stand down.:2tup:
I cleaned the a few days ago but just to make sure the carb is not the problem i took the carb to local shop and had them clean it they took it apart and dipped it. put it on the bike still will not start even with the petcock on prime???
So I decided o fix the leaky valve cover so I removed it and now I need to know how to put it back on. what is the little black rubber circle on he side for? What is the purpose of this. What holds it in place? just the pressure from the cover? when I put the valve cover back on do i need to use any rtv or is there a gasket that should be there? All that was there was some residue from what looked like old rtv gasket maker no gasket.
What should I be looking for as far as problems while I have this off. How much more work is it to replace the head gasket as long as I am this far? Any help is appreciated this is my first time with all of this so I am learning as I go.
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
mrlmd1

You also must pull in the clutch to start the bike - another safety switch.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #23
QUICKSTRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
You also must pull in the clutch to start the bike - another safety switch.
Can someone give me directions on adjusting the lifters? maybe it is not starting because the lifters need adjusting??? :??: what are the specs for the intake and exhaust and how do I find TDC???
thanks

Old 09-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
JohnC

There's a thread in the troubleshooting forum right now.

Lifters (actually, there aren't lifters in this engine, what you are adjusting is valve clearance) won't keep an engine from starting just because it has been sitting. The clearance won't change from sitting, so if it ran before clearance isn't your problem. If you have a good spark than you can pretty much bet it's clogged carburetor passages.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #25
QUICKSTRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC

Lifters (actually, there aren't lifters in this engine, what you are adjusting is valve clearance) won't keep an engine from starting just because it has been sitting. The clearance won't change from sitting, so if it ran before clearance isn't your problem. If you have a good spark than you can pretty much bet it's clogged carburetor passages.
Does anyone know a good mechanic in Lakeland Florida? I am willing to just hire someone who knows what they are doing.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #26
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

We had a couple of knowledgeable members down in your neck of the woods are different times, but attendance here is fleeting sometimes.

It's such a simple bike, just take it into the Suzuki place if you don't want to do it on your own.

Also, download this:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27

troubl-shooting guides and everything else you will ever need to know
Old 09-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #27
QUICKSTRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKSTRONG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC

Does anyone know a good mechanic in Lakeland Florida? I am willing to just hire someone who knows what they are doing.
OK I had a mechanic stop by today, he showed how to do a compression test and leak test. Bottom line there is little to know compression. Without taking the motor apart he said I will need to at least breakdown and rebuild the top end of the motor.
So I need some help here, what parts will I need to rebuild the top end of the motor, and is there a link with directions?
Has anyone on here rebuilt their engine? what was the cost and how hard is it? Or should I look for a salvaged engine? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #28
raul10141964

before you remobe the head check if you have some play on the valves.
If you do not fill any play adjust the valves
Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #29
JohnC

You may have just stuck rings. I agree, though, do a rough check on the valves first, then squirt a little oil in the plug hole and recheck the compression. If it comes up then you may just have stuck rings or maybe a lot of rust in the bore. Pull it apart before you start ordering parts!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #30
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Agreed. There are several members who dived in head first to a complete tear-down only to later discover that it was not necessary. Take it to someone you can trust if you don't want to do it yourself. Bike shops would love to replace the top end or re-ring the bike for you... but that's $$ that probably doesn't need to be spent.

Test - do not guess.