Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
boisegary

Electrical Issue - No Electric...

Hello All,

I have enjoyed this forum and the resources, so I finally created a login and unfortunately my first post is in this section. I have a 2000 GZ250 with an electrical issue. When I turn the key I get nothing. Not a single light. I have downloaded the service manual and I will tell you what I have tested. I first tested the battery. I get a solid 12.4 out. I checked the battery - to ground. I checked and even tested all the fuses including the 20amp. I also tested the stator coil resistance per page 6-8 and showed 0 resistance across each lead. I will admit this was a brand new tester that was a bit confusing, so I will probably retest with my old easy to use one. Any advise or direction would be much appreciated as electrical issues are not my favorite thing to work with.

Thanks - Gary

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Electrical Issue - No Electric...

First place to look would be the main fuse. I know you said you tested those, but give it another look.

It's possible that the key isn't contacting properly in the switch, but that would be a very uncommon ailment on the GZ.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
mrlmd1

FYI- 12.4 V from a battery means it is at least 40% discharged. A fully charged battery should read 12.6-12,8 V.
Either charge it up fully and measure it again 1/2 hr. after it rests, off the charger, or you could try and jump the bike from a NON-RUNNING car and see what happens. Your battery may be part of the problem. And remove both the + and - leads and clean them off and clean off the terminals and then reinstall them. If the connections are dirty or loose you will not get proper current flow through them.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
alantf

Certainly sounds like a main fuse issue.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
boisegary

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I will check the main fuse connection this evening. I did try jumping from a non-running car battery and still got nothing. Thanks -Gary

Old 09-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #6
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisegary
I did try jumping from a non-running car battery and still got nothing.
This points, even more, to a "break" in the wiring. i.e. a blown main fuse.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
osborne

I have a similar problem. I have a 2000 GZ and when I got it a charger hooked to the dead, old battery would get me lights......Neutral, headlight, directional, etc. Changed out the battery and the new one tests at 13.3 V. Changed out a bad solenoid as well and now nothing....no lights at all, no starter engagement either. Checked and rechecked the main fuse....Its good. Same for the fuses in the fuse box....all good. Hooking the charger directly to the battery will spin it. even put the old, bad solenoid back in and no lights. I could really use some help here. This has me stumped. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Fawlty

Have you done a load test on the battery? When you say it tests at 13.3v, how did you test it? Was the battery brand new and charged up by you on a slow low amp charge before you used it? Do you get any clicking when pressing the starter button?

Alantf is the expert here and will no doubt be helping you out, but from what you say I would suspect the battery first.

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
osborne

Thanks Fawlty.......by new I mean brandy new in box.....charged by me and tested with a good multi meter. I started a new thread for this problem.......sorry about the double posting.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
alantf

Are you CERTAIN you connected the solenoid connections the same as they were? The power to the starter circuit comes directly from one of the cables, so if they're the wrong way round, you won't be getting power from the battery to the starter circuit.