Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
SimbasDaddy

GZ Top Speed

I'm pretty new to this forum & I was just wondering what the top speed of the GZ should be. When I'm out riding the engine feels like it's "whined out" at around 50-55mph. I realize that it's a 250 & that it doesn't have a 6th gear like most bikes but should it sound like this?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Yes, it should sound like that. The GZ should really have a 6th gear. I found myself many times trying to shift into a non existant gear on the highway. The bike is 'comfortable' at 50-55, past that you will hear it whine for another gear. My Shadow's final gear is a highway gear, i dont hit that till about 55mph and even then thats a little early. The GZ should implement the same gearing, it would make it a good highway machine as well as a great commuter.

Top speed is arguable. Alot will tell you 70 is about it. Others will say 75. I've had mine up to 85 on a flat road. And im 5'9" 240lbs. This is also with the needle shim, aftermarket exhaust and mixture reset (actually ive done 85 without the aftermarket exhaust too).

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 09-28-2006, 04:53 AM   #3
Badbob

You might want to check you speedometer. Some of them are off.

My bike is all stock. With my 235lbs plus gear my experience is similar to Dupo's.

70-80 mph under ideal conditions. Not sustainable in any case.

65 is a sustainable speed so long as your not fighting a headwind or major hills. You may have to run in fourth gear to maintain this speed depending on conditions.

55-60 not a problem. The GZ250 can do this all day long. Its pretty comfortable at this speed.

I to sometimes feel the need for a sixth gear although I don't think this would do much for the top speed. 5th gear is .818:1 I spend most of my time n fourth gear.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
SimbasDaddy

Thanks

Thanks. I just didn't want to overrev the engine and every place else I looked didn't really give too much info on what a good operating top speed is.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Jordan310

Nope, not true.
Tuned right, you can hit 85 Im sure.

I have proof. I was on a flat, got a speeding ticket doing 79-80Mhp with some side wind.
It whines like a bitch, and it will go that fast. Top speed? Im going to say that the 85Mph top speed is something I would bet my balls on.

85 is extreemly hard to hit as well. You have to have the RPMS so high, and the wind at your back. You just might blow a piston at full throttle. The bike simpl was not meant to handle this.

However, .. I can reach 70 easy. 75Mph with some serrious effort, and 80 in ideal and I mean IDEAL contitions. I only have the mod in my other post, removing the airbox, putting the stock filter direct, and rejetting the carba bit more. Im still running lean, I need an aftermarket pipe, a K&N, and a front sprocket.

I am confident that the rest of ther mods, even when boring out the carb to the max will allow me to hit 85 a lot easier.
Heres my next thing.

Why?

This bike is not a race bike, and going 85 will for sure get you in a bit of trouble on this bike.

I from now on dont go past 70. Its a great commuter bike, and thats what its meant for.
If I want more power, Ill go for an 800cc M50. This will be my next bike.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
Bill

The M50 would be a very nice choice.

As far as top speed is concerned most bikes (and cars for that matter) can reach a top speed that is in excess of what the other components of the vehicle are capable of properly handling. Speed is only one factor that should be considered for any vehicle. I would place just as much importance in balance, handling, weight, and gearing. The GZ 250 will go faster than what is safe to ride on that frame design and weight. But it will scoot just fine. Others may disagree but in my opinion the ride starts to deteriorate once you go past 65mph. Badbob also made a good point in speedometer accuracy. I know there is a 5mph difference in my wifes GZ250 and my C50.

Cheers!
Old 03-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Jordan310

My spedometer is tack on because when I got the ticket for going 79Mph, the needle had just hit 80.
Your right. The ride deteriorates at about 70 for me, and I get a strange (I dont think this bike should be going this fast feeling) at 75.

Some might say that if Im pushing the little GZ this fast and hard, that I shouldnt go for an M50, but I think it could do the opposite for me. I think the complete difference in ride, power, and repect the bike would command will humble me.

Im a new rider, but Im learning quickly to respect the bike, and the ride.
I actually hated cruiser bikes, and wanted a Buell Blast to start with, but I am appreciating the ride more and more every day. I think I just might be happy ending up with a cruiser over a speed bike.

Who needs to go 0-60 in lightning time? Cool, but riding is dangerous enough. Why tempt fate?
Yea, the M50 looks pretty good. I sat on one the other day, and its heavy. I mean like wow, heavy.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan310
Some might say that if Im pushing the little GZ this fast and hard, that I shouldnt go for an M50, but I think it could do the opposite for me. I think the complete difference in ride, power, and repect the bike would command will humble me.
I tend to agree with you. Maxing out any vehicle is not a safe proposition. It stresses the limits of all the systems. Better to have more weight, handling, braking, and power in reserve for safety. I learned a long time ago that just because the speedometer says 160 doesn't mean I should try to peg it. :roll:
Old 03-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Badbob

I've put hundreds of miles on mine GZ250 at wide open throttle. It's not a pleasant ride nor is it my preferred method of travel. However, it doesn't seem to have hurt it at all.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
trykemike

gz top speed

I can regularly hit an indicated 120 kph ( 75 mph ). On hills if I hit them at 100 kph ( 62 mph) I top the hill at 105 kph ( 65 mph ) . These values are with no wind. I have listened to the engine it is running smoothly at WOT.