Other (post below) 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
JWR

Re: Tell me what to do.

Can I vote more than once????

:poke2:

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
mrlmd1

ER - Do you honestly think that Patrick's large finger post to the newbie wasn't, and wasn't meant to be, hostile? Was there not even a slight bit of hostility in his post to me, "Stop telling me what to do", "I am not your bitch". That's only me PERCEIVING that that's hostile? There's no other kinder way to say anything like that?
Do you honestly believe that, first of all, you've NEVER said NEVER when you didn't REALLY mean NEVER EVER EVER. Or did you take poetic license and use a phrase like that even once or twice in your life? Are you going to pick on every word in everyone's posts, for "ACCURACY", when you know damn well what they meant?
And second of all, you NEVER wrote an offensive or hostile post, or NEVER INTENDED to write an hostile post? You are totally above EVER doing that? Don't blame the reader's perception that it's hostile all the time. You don't want to be spoken to that way, it's easy to see.

And don't give me "that it's a guy thing" crap. I've been there, done that, as much if not more than you. That's a cop-out. And if it wasn't for this guy thing, I wouldn't even be answering you or Patrick on here, I wouldn't waste so much of my time. I just happen to believe that people shouldn't get away with this type of behavior without being called on it. Both of you certainly don't like it when it's turned back on you and it shouldn't be directed by you towards others. It is,to some extent, even if you don't see it.

And this comment you made-
"It is pretty easy to tell which people will be entertaining and which will be real disruptive assholes. Of course, sometimes that analysis takes a bit longer."
Is that a general truth, sarcasm, directed at anyone in particular, or just sort of thrown out there to see what would happen? I plan to ignore it, disregard it, not take any offense to it, just realize that's you, although it could have a deeper meaning but it's not worth thinking about it.
On the other hand, if you say something that possibly could be perceived as offensive, you could qualify that with a little note that it's an attempt at humor, sarcasm, an innocent friendly jab or dig, etc,. and not instigate a war as you say over something YOU thought was innocent.
Now we can either shake and make up again and make an attempt to be cordial to each other sensitive to others here on this forum, or this can go on forever, or until one or more of us gets "Banned" from the site by you know how, popular vote or not.
And FYI, last time I looked, it's 9 or 10:1 so far on here for new VS. used helmets.

Enough of this shit. It's a beautiful day and I'm going out for a ride.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
And FYI, last time I looked, it's 9 or 10:1 so far on here for new VS. used helmets.
Enough of this shit.
There. With a little creative editing of comments out of context, I think there is something we can agree upon. Then again........ :roll:

Old 04-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Nominated!
Second.....do I hear a second.......aw, come on guys.....surely Patrick deserves some recognition for his...mmmm.....whatever!!
Old 04-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Do you honestly think that Patrick's large finger post to the newbie wasn't, and wasn't meant to be, hostile?
Hostility begets hostility. The n00b had made 5 posts, all of which were lazily begging for information that can and is easily found with the LEAST bit of searching here, looking in the manual, or checking the manufacturer's website...neither of which he did.

When people (especially stupid ones) come back at me in a hostile tone, my reaction is hostility because they have garnered absolutely NO RESPECT from me yet. You, on the other hand, had regained some in the previous hundred posts, but that quickly dissolved with your very trollish behavior. Keep it up in the other forums and you'll quickly find yourself the winner in this poll, with majority (the important few) rule. This place, like the Internet in general, is not as much a democracy, or even a representative republic. It is essentially a meritocracy based on the life of this board. My particular talent AND job here is to weed out the rif-raff and keep the board mostly in line, which I've been doing elsewhere for nearly 20 years and here for a while. Dupo can take that away if he wants or feels the need. I doubt he'll have a problem with how I've been dealing with it, though I can't speak for him specifically - he has his own voice. I also doubt HE'LL let the likes of YOU tell him what to do though. Knowing him, I'm actually a bit more lenient.

:kneel:

Old 04-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #16

[/quote]

When people (especially stupid ones) come back at me in a hostile tone, my reaction is hostility because they have garnered absolutely NO RESPECT from me yet. You, on the other hand, had regained some in the previous hundred posts, but that quickly dissolved with your very trollish behavior. Keep it up in the other forums and you'll quickly find yourself the winner in this poll, with majority (the important few) rule.

:kneel:[/quote]

I was intent on staying out of this, but I think mrmld is getting a pretty raw deal. I think the new guy came on too strong about the Fram filters, too, but Patrick's response was an over-reaction, plain and simple. All mrmld is saying is to put the self-editor in play, especially online, where tone and all that is absent (sarcasm or teasing, for example, are obvious in person, but not online). That's it. Seems pretty self-evident to me, but he is really taking shit for it.

Moreover, when I read something like the above, I wonder if someday I'll be labeled "stupid" by the "important few". Now that is bullshit, right there. It's too bad; as a newbie myself, I feel a debt to the more experienced riders on here who offer their experience and knowledge freely. I truly appreciate it. But if those things are offered in that spirit, I'll find other experienced riders who genuinely want to promote riding - and who also remember that they were new at this once.

Just remember, everyone is an expert at something. What if you experienced riders were on a forum where you were trying to learn about investments or taxes, or something you are new at? Would you want the "important few" judging your intelligence and character because you posted something that later you might regret (tell me who has not done that)?

It' too bad. I really appreciate those who helped me out on this forum. But I'm not sure I want to stick around and be judged by the self-appointed oligarchy.

Keith

Old 04-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
JWR

Grow some tough skin....or don't.

Your choice.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 04-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #18
Evil Sibhod

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Sibhod Send a message via AIM to Evil Sibhod Send a message via MSN to Evil Sibhod Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Sibhod

hey I'm just glad that I'm not on that poll hah!
Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
It' too bad. I really appreciate those who helped me out on this forum. But I'm not sure I want to stick around and be judged by the self-appointed oligarchy.
I've never said I was "self-appointed". I also never said this was an oligarchy, I said it is a meritocracy. Remember, Dupo pays the bills to give us the opportunity to piss each other off, and many of us volunteer time and money to help him out.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #20
mrlmd1

Very sorry , I guess I haven't figured out how to do my responses to your quotes any other way. I must be one on the "stupid ones".

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Quote:
Do you honestly think that Patrick's large finger post to the newbie wasn't, and wasn't meant to be, hostile?
Hostility begets hostility. The n00b had made 5 posts, all of which were lazily begging for information that can and is easily found with the LEAST bit of searching here, looking in the manual, or checking the manufacturer's website...neither of which he did.

---

So 5 posts lazily begging for information represents hostility to you? There's no big difference from you getting annoyed and getting hostile?

---

When people (especially stupid ones) come back at me in a hostile tone, my reaction is hostility because they have garnered absolutely NO RESPECT from me yet. You, on the other hand, had regained some in the previous hundred posts, but that quickly dissolved with your very trollish behavior. Keep it up in the other forums and you'll quickly find yourself the winner in this poll, with majority (the important few) rule. This place, like the Internet in general, is not as much a democracy, or even a representative republic. It is essentially a meritocracy based on the life of this board. My particular talent AND job here is to weed out the rif-raff and keep the board mostly in line, which I've been doing elsewhere for nearly 20 years and here for a while. Dupo can take that away if he wants or feels the need. I doubt he'll have a problem with how I've been dealing with it, though I can't speak for him specifically - he has his own voice. I also doubt HE'LL let the likes of YOU tell him what to do though. Knowing him, I'm actually a bit more lenient.

:kneel:
Don't threaten me. If you want to ban me because you consider me "rif-raff" then go right ahead and make your day. I will still stand up and say what I believe to be true. If you don't like it, fine. You think I'm out of line for voicing an opinion or having some words back and forth with another member on here, (and I'm right (take another poll) ), and you don't want to hear it, especially when it's directed to you too for violating your own rules, then kick me off. I don't like to take any shit from anyone, neither do you, and I really don't like to see it dished out to anyone else either, like the noob. If that makes me rif-raff , then I'm proud of that. That just reinforces what I am talking about. You don't like anyone you think is telling you what to do, questioning you in any way, and your own rules don't apply to you, You'll never admit your reaction was a little excessive, but I hope your annoyance with daily life never turns into hostility like that.
Why don't you go back and view the posts and try and explain like what serious orders did you from me get that upset you so much? I doubt you would do anything anyone told you anyway. Your reaction again is over the top as it was to the noob. The discussion was inappropriately in the wrong thread I will admit, but the discussion itself was totally appropriate and if it offends your sensibilities, Oh I am so sorry for that.
So do what you want, "ban me", banish me into eternity, and in the last few days, you have basically lost all MY respect for YOU as an Admin on here for your holier-than-thou attitude and your underlying hostile behavior that you think is justified.