Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
mrlmd1

inexpensive ammo can locks

For those of you looking for an inexpensive solution to locking ammo cans, this is what I came up with -
Drilling a hole in a 1" long 3/8" SS bolt to accommodate a small lock, threading the bolt through the can to lock down the latch.
It is sealed from any water intrusion using a hose washer on the outside of the can under a SS washer below the nut outside the can.
The pictures are self explanatory and make it easier to see rather than try and describe it.
The hardest part of the project is to drill through the hard SS bolt. You need a high speed metal drill but it only takes a minute or two, and the whole installation takes about 15 min. and only cost about $2.50 for the bolts, nuts, and washers, most of which I had laying around, and about $4 for the 2 locks which you have to get anyway.
I thought it was easier to do this than to enlarge the hole that exists in the latch to an oblong shape in order to accommodate a SS eyebolt that some others have done.
While the locks can undoubtedly be broken off if someone tries hard enough, it is secure enough for what it is. No matter how or what you lock up, if someone wants to get in, they will find a way.
And, I know, I have to paint the cans again and also lube the chain again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Badbob

Re: inexpensive ammo can locks

I used stainless eye bolts to do this. This might be better not to mention easier since all your holes are round.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
mrlmd1

My cans already had a 1/2" round hole in the latch so I just drilled a mating 3/8" hole for the bolt in the can.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
deadman13

Send a message via AIM to deadman13 Send a message via Yahoo to deadman13

Ironically, I just found these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ammunition-Can-Gun- ... dZViewItem
Old 12-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
music man

I love the part where it says that you can not open the box without destroying it. :lol: Give me about 30 seconds and a good pair of bolt cutters and i won't have to hurt the box a bit, Just the lock. But on Another note, it is just an ammo can with a lock on it, just like Badbob and other have. If it doesn't cost more that 20 dollars, Which is what i think it said it costs, it would be worth it i guess (I don't really know what the going rate for a military ammo can is these days), but you don't have to fuss with drilling holes and buying hardware and locks with this one.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
deadman13

Send a message via AIM to deadman13 Send a message via Yahoo to deadman13

Yeah, thats the "nice" part, no cursing and wasting drill bits. And it looks like it comes all prettied up too, paint wise. I was looking for a bigger set of cans for my bike that didnt weigh 25lbs a piece, but saw these and thought he got all business-y on us.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
mrlmd1

Those are the 50 cal cans, smaller than the SAW cans, can't hold as much "stuff". Why I made my own locks was that most places on the net charge anywhere from $8-12 for the hole in the bolt type lock that I made myself, and if you look around and want SAW cans, they can be had for a low as $10 a piece. You also have to pay shipping charges for the cans and for the locks, which cost almost as much as what you are buying. Most times it's much cheaper to go to the local Army Navy surplus store and Home Depot.