Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Chris

236 mile range, plus 17 on reserve for my GZ250

On Saturday I made an all day trip in the Georgia mountains. I cruised easily in 5th and sometimes 4th: nice easy backroads mostly.
I filled up before I left and returned with 200 miles on the GZ250. Since I was curious about the range I made another trip today. I carried a gallon of gas with me so I would not get stranded and headed out as far as she would go on the available gas.
On the main tank I got 236 miles. Then I switched to the RESERVE setting and went another 17 miles when I saw a gas station. It was still running on reserve so I don't know how far that would go. I put in 3.1 gallons for 81.6mpg! I usually get about 75mpg, but this was easy crusing.
I am a big, older guy north of Atlanta and most people don't get the mileage in anything that I do. But most of you should look for 70mpg and 200 miles range on your GZ250. If you are not getting this then slow down!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Re: 236 mile range, plus 17 on reserve for my GZ250

I've only managed to get a high of 74 MPG, but I haven't done any long continuous rides yet. Most of my riding is 20% city riding with the rest going at 55 MPH.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Chris

74mpg is good, especially with city riding. I try to avoid city riding. I live in the woods north of Atlanta so I ride mostly backroads. I'll go the long way around to avoid riding in the city. I don't like the interstates either: the bike does great at 65-70mph, but it is too noisey and windy for me. Plug in ear plugs help a lot.
So, on my 81.6mpg trip, it was mostly 50mph and that should give the maximum mileage.
Has anyone topped 81.6mpg????? For real??

Chris near Atlanta

Old 09-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Sarris

I hit reserve at about 180 miles and the bike takes 2.5 gallons to fill for 72 mpg fairly consistantly. That leaves me (theoretically) with a 1.2 gallon reserve. Must be a variation in the length of the plastic pickup tube on the petcock from spec.

I'm 6'-1" and about 280 lbs (quit laughing, :fu: I'm down 25 lbs.) and most of my driving is less than 55 mph, and most of my trips are less than 50 miles.

I also fill the tank while aboard and the bike upright.

:banana:
Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Chris

You fill the bike upright?? Dangerous, when you spill gas it goes over the hot engine. I fill my tilted over on the stand.
I'm your size and your age, don't feel bad. I look like a bear on a tricycle on the bike.
Chris in Atlanta

Old 09-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Moedad

I offer this as perhaps a learning tool to newbies who might take things too literally (like me).

About filling your bike as it leans on the kickstand: When I first got mine, I was taking extra care not to overfill it per the manual by not getting past the bottom of that lip. I'd stop before it touched the lip. Too MUCH before the lip. I was robbing myself (I think) of 1/2 to maybe even 3/4 of a gallon of tank capacity. I was having to go to reserve at 150 miles, even 140 miles. Then I really looked at what I was doing. The lip was much shorter than I realized, plus, once the bike was upright, what I had thought was a full tank was only maybe 3/4 full. So now when I fill it while it's leaning on the kickstand, I fill it pretty much right up to the top. When I stand it up, it's right where it needs to be.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
mr. softie

My experience is almost identical to Sarris's, hitting reserve at 180 or so, fill up of 2.4gallons or so. I fill to bottom of filler tube with bike leaning over on stand. Was wondering about filling it higher, will try it out for range. BTW my tank had a big dent on left side where the turn signal hit it on a lay down w/previous owner. I tried to pop it out some, and filled w/bondo, but it still decreases my capacity a bit.

Anybody carry spare gas on a trip? I've been out late at night on long trips a few times riding on reserve hoping I would find fuel before I ran out. Thinking of a safe way to carry a quart or two just in case. I have run 235 miles on a tank without running out, but was very nervous after about 200 or so.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
Sarris

I just don't get off or put down the stand. I pop the CC into the pump, unlock & remove lid, reset odo & reserve, and pump all while sitting down. And I don't spill the gas. You get her full when she's upright.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Chris

So...how much more gas can you get in? After you fill it on the stand (leaning) and you fill up to the lip of the hole. How much more gas can you get in if you are upright? Does it leak out when you are riding??
I still don't like the idea. I once spilled gas over a hot engine. It did not explode, but I knew I was really close to being a crispy critter. Really don't want to do that again.

Chris
Big, retired guy near Atlanta
Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I just don't get off or put down the stand. I pop the CC into the pump, unlock & remove lid, reset odo & reserve, and pump all while sitting down. And I don't spill the gas. You get her full when she's upright.
Sarris, old buddy.......we HAVE talked about this before, haven't we ???? :roll: :biggrin:

There are a LOT of newbies who show up here looking for sage advice from more seasoned riders. When they get that advice it is usually GOOD advice.

While I think it is absolutely your right to do any damn thing you please (especially at OUR age), I do not think it is the responsible thing to do to, in effect, promote unsafe behavior to others, do you ?? Seriously. :??: