Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Devoured

First ride (finally)

Got the geezer out of the garage today after a long winter and a very wet spring. I put about 100 miles on her first time out. I was really surprised at how comfortable I was on this bike considering my only prior experience is with dirt bikes and quads. Definitely felt the need for more speed though, I wouldn't dare take this thing on the highway (see hwy 401 in Ontario), too many big trucks, crazy drivers, and not enough throttle left to get away if I needed to. Maybe an S40 or a shadow might be in my near future...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: First ride (finally)

Stay off the 401 race track. Try some secondary roads and hone your street skills. You need more saddle time and the GZ is very forgiving if you make a bit of an oops while riding. Don't be in too big of a hurry to upgrade, learn what the GZ can do for you and appreciate it for what it is.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
mole2

In addition to what WW said, I would recommend the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course). There's a world of difference between dirt riding and road. The course will help you get rid of any bad habits you may have and to develop good habits. I know of many an experienced rider who took the course and said they learned a lot. Ride safe.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

What Mole 2 said. A big + for rider training. I waited till I was in my 60s to take a course. Shoulda done it far sooner but I already knew how to ride and was just plain lucky for a lot of years. Had to break a lot of bad and dangerous habits. The Vstrom became a lot easier to ride after learning from a pro.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Devoured

I took the motorcycle course here in Ontario, it was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot. I've put on almost 2000km so far, considering a custom build for next summer.