Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
hol64

Measuring Gas

I was wondering every how many miles do you guys charge gas?? The guy I bought the GZ250 from had the gas valve at PRI all the time, I moved it back to FUEL, but now I always doubt if the reserve is filled up or not. Any advice?

THanks,

Hol

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Gadzooks Mike

Here, this might help. It's really all the same gas in the same tank. The gas for PRI comes from a tube that sticks up in the tank. When the fuel level falls below the tube, then you need to switch to the reserve. When you fill up, it's all the same container of gas.

http://www.dansmc.com/gastank.htm
Old 05-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
hol64

OK, so. every how many miles do you charge gas? 140?

I'm just wondering what do you guys do, since there is no gas light on the GZ250.

Thanks,

Hol

Old 05-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
Gadzooks Mike

I fill up at around 100 miles. However, check your mileage and then figure on about 3 gals for a full tank, excluding the reserve. So if you're getting 65mpg, you should be good for about 195 miles. That's about what I figure on, and fill it when it's about half empty.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Dirt_McGert

Noob question, but do you fill the tank until the fuel gets close to the rim of the fuel cap hole? I would assume yes...... I just don't want to overfill it and have fuel squirt out of the cap.

Also, in the GZ's fuel tank, there's a center "spine" piece - what is this? Is it the frame that the fuel tank conforms around? My guess again is that's what it is, just wondering because I'd like to have a reference as to how much fuel I have left. Eventually I'll get a feel for it though...

Old 05-23-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
Bill

Do not fill to the rim unless you want it spilling out all over the tank and you. You need to leave a little room for expansion especially in the summer months.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_McGert
I'd like to have a reference as to how much fuel I have left. Eventually I'll get a feel for it though...
Use the trip odometer.
Tank capacity without going into reserve is about 3 gal.
Reported minimum mileage is about 60 (unless you ride it REALLY hard).
SO.....you should be able to go about 150 miles on 2 1/2 gal. and have some "main" and the reserve left.

HINT: Do not fill the tank while you are ON the bike! A little fuel spilled on a hot engine could put you in a VERY nasty situation.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Do not fill to the rim unless you want it spilling out all over the tank and you. You need to leave a little room for expansion especially in the summer months.

Cheers!
I was filling up beside a buddy of mine and he did the same thing. I thought he knew what he was doing so I didn't say anything. He filled it all the way to the brim and then inserted his gas cap and gas spilled all over his tank and seat. He very non-chalantly wiped it off and pretended it was normal. It was fairly amusing.

With the bike leaned over, I fill it up to maybe 1/2 and inch below first contact with the filler hole.

I usually fill up at around 185 miles without reserve. I only rely on my reserve on long trips.

Take care,
Jonathan
Old 05-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
Badbob

I start looking for gas at 150 miles that gives me plenty of time to pick and choose where I get my gas. On long trips I fill up more often. I don't want to hit reserve 75 miles from the nearest open gas station.

You should not leave the petcock on prime. If you do this and something leaks you'll wake up one morning with several gallons of gasoline on the garage floor. Been there done that with my Yamaha. It ain't fun. You could all so flood your engine if the needle valve gets stuck. If the valve leaks bad you migh wind up with gasoline in you oil.