Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #101
bwader

Re: Rejected inspection: front turn signals

the ones I just got are 50volt rated and are the same colors, the black and gray. They are IN4001 if I remember right. I didn't have too much choice it was that or higher voltage diodes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #102
bwader

So I tried it out I cut the socket off and wired ground to the green wire and the 2 diodes and black on the other wire.

I did it both ways with the diodes both going either direction. Both same direction.

I tried all the combinations for connecting the 2 diode wires to the harness: All grounds, Right light green and left to brown, Right light green and Left to black. Then all the other combinations between the right dark green and light green and left brown and black wires.

Same problem or worse.....no signal lights. I've had where I had just right side and no left blinker. No left and just right side.

Signal indicator light on and both on. All sorts of combinations, but no fix to my problem.

On the socket wires I tried with and without the bulb. I even bought the 1kilo ohm resistor and 2 LED's to put together if I got it to work.

Socket wires I had the ground side connected the signals wouldn't work. Mind you I tried all sorts of combinations of moving wires around. It just doesn't work for me

On the diode side of the socket wire I wired and soldered the 2 diodes in parallel then a wire going to each Left or Right side wires I mentioned earlier.

I tried even just having the 2 diodes just go off the signal indicator socket wire and to their wires so it would be the same as just making a Y with the 2 diode wires going to the harness.

So now I'm to my other plan. So far I removed my original wire harness and I am putting in the used 2005 GZ wiring harness I bought off Ebay for $22. Had to take a break its getting dark where I am its 7pm eastern time. So I'll be putting up my 6 foot 3 bulb lamp so I can finish and still see outside.

Also I didn't mention my rear engine ground I moved it from behind the front sprocket cover on the engine on a long bolt- to the right side on an engine bolt and I get 0.3 ohms on it and my other ohms reading went down too. Its a lot easier to get to. I had to take off the sprocket cover to and use a long screw drive socket to get to it before. Even after this I still have the same problem- alternating turn signals.

So hopefully, hopefully infinity.....this harness works this time. Only other thing I haven't tried is trying a brand new Denso turn signal Relay that's next to the fuse box. This has been the biggest pain just to fix this dumb ass problem
Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #103
5th_bike

OK here is how to hook up the diodes:

Put the two diodes in series between the two wires coming from the harness to the indicator bulb. Make sure that the sides with the white circles (the white circle on the diode's bodies) are closest together.

If this is your diode, and it conducts current to the right, the white circle should be on the right side:
-----###|----
where "-###|-" = diode, and "------" = wire, and "|" is the white circle.

When you're done, it should look like this:
(left from harnass)-------###|------x-----|###------(right from harnass)

At the "x", connect one wire to the indicator bulb. The other wire from the indicator bulb goes to ground:
x--------(bulb)-------(ground)

PLease note that you don't have to specifically worry which wire comes from the left or the right. Because the diodes conduct electricity downstream from both sides. To the bulb.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #104
alantf

I reckon it'd work better with separate warning lights for left & right blinkers, but that's not how the GZ works. Let's see if the new harness works, without this "fix". It seems awfully complicated, when I'm still convinced that it's a ground problem. If the fault is found, there's no way this diode set up is needed. That's not the way everybody else's signals work. :??:
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #105
bwader

I replaced the wire harness and same thing. I know at least that's not the problem.
I took the rear fender off enough to see better and saw on the left side there is an exposed wire going to the left turn signal. On that side grounds measure 1.0 to .9 ohms. It was late last night at 10pm so I packed stuff up.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #106
bwader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
OK here is how to hook up the diodes:

Put the two diodes in series between the two wires coming from the harness to the indicator bulb. Make sure that the sides with the white circles (the white circle on the diode's bodies) are closest together.

If this is your diode, and it conducts current to the right, the white circle should be on the right side:
-----###|----
where "-###|-" = diode, and "------" = wire, and "|" is the white circle.

When you're done, it should look like this:
(left from harnass)-------###|------x-----|###------(right from harnass)

At the "x", connect one wire to the indicator bulb. The other wire from the indicator bulb goes to ground:
x--------(bulb)-------(ground)

PLease note that you don't have to specifically worry which wire comes from the left or the right. Because the diodes conduct electricity downstream from both sides. To the bulb.
Ok I think I get it! So only one wire to the indicator bulb because the other wire goes to ground? In this way the "X" ground point gets the current to go to the bulb. And the bulb is grounded.

I think this will be easier than the setup I was trying before.

Yeah in the first place I shouldn't have to go through all this when the wiring is supposed to work normal.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #107
5th_bike

You're getting there. The x is not a "ground" point. It is the spot where the one wire to the bulb connects to the two wires from the white-circle sides of the two diodes.
The other wire from the bulb goes to ground.

Just for clarity, note in my "line drawing" the diode on the left points in the opposite direction as the diode on the right. They both only let current flow to the 'x', and not through the other diode. The white circles mark the 'downstream' side of the diodes.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #108
bwader

I mis typed or something. But I understand the indicator bulb gets its power from either side signal wire and diodes prevent back fed current and the other end of ind. bulb is grounded.

lost the turn signal cover, and cutting grass. been wanting to do this wiring.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #109
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwader
I replaced the wire harness and same thing. I know at least that's not the problem.
So where does that leave us? Did you get lampholders with the harness. If so, we can rule that out of the equation. If you used the original lampholders, that could be the problem. Did you thoroughly check the bulbs, sufficiently to rule that out? Unfortunately, I can't tell EXACTLY what you've done, or not done, when replacing the harness. This seems like one time I'd need a hands on approach to assess the problem, but one thing's for sure, you're doing something wrong. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but something's out of synch, and, apart from ground faults, I can't begin to fathom it out any further over the computer.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #110
bwader

Same bulb sockets just the main harness is different from original. I just meant the main harness IE the headlamp plug and both leads to turn signals all the way to the end which is the ground to the negative terminal to the battery, brake light, and plugs to starter, the fuse box itselt and rear signal lead.

I used the same turn signal relay. and its the same turn signals and bulbs.

I taped up an exposed wire inside the rear fender going to the rear left turn signal "arm". I'll take off that "arm" next, the wiring looked intact but I'll check it again.

Earlier today I checked ohms from the turn signal indicator wires and its still 1.1 ohms.

It would be really nice if one of you guys lived A LOT closer to me to help out. I'm at the end of my patience with this, I could try getting local help from someone off craigslist, I found some pretty good guitar players that way. Too bad I don't have any buddies who still live in my area with electrical or motorcycle know how.

Yep, can only do so much from text on a computer screen.