Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 08-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Badbob

A few things I have learned about braking

Use both brakes. If you only use the front brake you are giving up 10% of your braking and a good bit of control. If you don't use them both on a regular basis when the time comes that you really need that little bit of braking the rear wheel gives you, you are going to lock it up.

You never ever want to brake so hard that your either of your wheels stop turning. The spinning wheels are what keeps your motorcycle from falling.

Front Brake = Coarse Control
Rear Brake = Fine Control

Feathering the rear brake in slow speed turns (u-turn) helps you control the bike better.

Use rear brake alone on rocks, sand or other loose surfaces. A front wheel lock up will put you on the ground so fast you will not know what happened.

I adjust my pedal position to where I can't push on it hard enough to lock the rear wheel. It took several tries but I think I have it where I want it. I also adjust the pedal play while spinning the rear wheel. I tighten the brake until it starts to drag and then back it off until it doesn't plus a little more. Check the brake light and adjust it if needed. I have also lowered the height of the pedal just about as low as I can get it and still have everything work.

When I first got my GZ250 the pedal was way high and there was lots of play. I had to take my foot off the peg to use the brake. Using the rear brake like this is difficult at best. The way I have it setup now I can use the rear brake simply by moving my foot forward on the peg and pushing down with my toe. Rear wheel lockups have almost disappeared and because I have very fine control of my rear brake I am beginning to master the brake feathering to the point where on a good day I can u-turn on a 1 1/2 lane road without stopping or putting my foot down.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: A few things I have learned about braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
Use both brakes. If you only use the front brake you are giving up 10% of your braking

I have also lowered the height of the pedal just about as low as I can get it and still have everything work.
++1 on most of that.

Most estimates I've seen puts the front/back ratio of brakes at 70/30 (or near) so not using the back brake at all would be giving up around 30% of the total.

That brings us to the second point: Your first statement may be right for YOU, given the way you have adjusted your rear brakes. They may be providing you with only 10% of your total stopping power.

If it works for you, that's great. Most people will find it more comfortable (and effective) to have the pedal height set to where it just barely touches (or not touches) the bottom of your boot in a relaxed, normal riding position.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
purslant

Re: A few things I have learned about braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
Use both brakes. If you only use the front brake you are giving up 10% of your braking and a good bit of control. If you don't use them both on a regular basis when the time comes that you really need that little bit of braking the rear wheel gives you, you are going to lock it up.

You never ever want to brake so hard that your either of your wheels stop turning. The spinning wheels are what keeps your motorcycle from falling.

Front Brake = Coarse Control
Rear Brake = Fine Control

Feathering the rear brake in slow speed turns (u-turn) helps you control the bike better.

Use rear brake alone on rocks, sand or other loose surfaces. A front wheel lock up will put you on the ground so fast you will not know what happened.

I adjust my pedal position to where I can't push on it hard enough to lock the rear wheel. It took several tries but I think I have it where I want it. I also adjust the pedal play while spinning the rear wheel. I tighten the brake until it starts to drag and then back it off until it doesn't plus a little more. Check the brake light and adjust it if needed. I have also lowered the height of the pedal just about as low as I can get it and still have everything work.

When I first got my GZ250 the pedal was way high and there was lots of play. I had to take my foot off the peg to use the brake. Using the rear brake like this is difficult at best. The way I have it setup now I can use the rear brake simply by moving my foot forward on the peg and pushing down with my toe. Rear wheel lockups have almost disappeared and because I have very fine control of my rear brake I am beginning to master the brake feathering to the point where on a good day I can u-turn on a 1 1/2 lane road without stopping or putting my foot down.
BadBob I have the same problem with my rear brake pedal. Could you post a pic of the change you made to yours. I'd like to see where you have it adjusted to. Anthony

Login or Register to Remove Ads