Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #31
Jer

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #32
Jer

Re: Getting Comfortable At Speeds

I'm getting a lot more comfortable very quickly.

I have about 110 miles behind me and from zero to 40 I am 100% comfortable.

40-45 I'm about 75% comfortable.

45+ I'm still working on. I've done about 20 miles at 55 and its a bit windy.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #33
alanmcorcoran

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
(135 in a 55)
Geez, Mr. Softie, I thought I was King of the Speeding Tickets, but I bow to your superior accomplishments. The last time I went that fast (145, my PR) it was in 1974 as a passenger in my brother's '67 Mustang when we were running from the po-po after someone called the cops on a street race that turned ugly. Only time I ever got away clean, too. Thing was shaking and rattling just like my GZ does at 60.

I can't imagine doing those speeds on two wheels, although I understand it is quite common.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #34
rayzuki

I am up to about 45. Don't have the nerve to go much faster yet.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #35
Jer

The wind is what gets me. Its just noisy and quite strong.

I'd be worried about going that fast at night. I worry about being able to see potholes and whatever in the dark.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #36
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

I guess I just got used to the speed quickly. For the first week I didn't break 30 (rode the rural roads around here). My first trip at 55 MPH was a bit iffy but after 2-3 trips I was perfectly comfortable. Still, 45 on a motorcycle still feels like 70 in a car.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #37
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
I guess I just got used to the speed quickly. For the first week I didn't break 30 (rode the rural roads around here). My first trip at 55 MPH was a bit iffy but after 2-3 trips I was perfectly comfortable. Still, 45 on a motorcycle still feels like 70 in a car.
45 seems to be about the threshold where the speed makes a HUGE difference. Once you get used to 45, though, everything faster seems pretty similar and it doesn't really take much more adjustment on your part.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #38
alanmcorcoran

I feel peer pressure on single lane twisties. I don't want to be the a**hole holding everybody up, but if I ain't been down this particular snakey deal before, I'm a little tentative in the curves and can't really hold the speed limit. If it's safe to do so, I pull over to the right and let the impatient go by, but sometimes its a double yellow and no shoulder and I have a (insert stereotype here) in an F150 bearing down on me like a heat seeking missile. I have no problem getting up to 60 or just a tad more on the smooth straights (mine doesn't really go much faster than that [yet]), but it's different story when I can't see what's around the bend.

Frankly, I'm anxiously awaiting that magical day when my Suzy breaks out of her shell and... just... starts... going... FASTER. Okay, I guess I don't really believe that's actually going to happen, but many have claimed exactly that on this site. I love to go fast. Just ask Officer Van Horn. Or Johnson. Or Gonsalves. Or McNamara. Or Kim. Or Mezzacappa. Or..
Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #39
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Alan, it all comes with experience. I used to feel the same way back then. Once you get to know your bike and how it handles and it becomes second nature to you, you will be able to take those unknown twisty roads with ease. Its all about entering the corner correctly. ONce you have that down, the unknown back road twists just come natural.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 09-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #40
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
The wind is what gets me. Its just noisy and quite strong.

I'd be worried about going that fast at night. I worry about being able to see potholes and whatever in the dark.
The wind noise and feeling 'like a kite' at speed goes away. You just get used to it. For me it took a week or two to get used to the kite feeling. The noise took a bit longer but now i can ride without a helmet or (believe it or not) glasses. Your body just adjusts to it after getting used to it. And no, i dont wanna hear about me not wearing a helmet :redflip: 99% of the time im wearing glasses, but i can handle without them up to about 50mph.

Going fast at night is no different than the day time. Its called 'scanning the road' ahead of you. You should always scan the roadway while riding. Your headlight should be adjusted correctly so that you can see well ahead of you and you should always pay attention to road surfaces. If you are doing the speed limit and scanning .... you should see any road hazards (potholes) before you hit them. Theres always going to be those that jump out on you ... god knows i have hit them, and i dont have any shocks on my bike (can you say balls in your throat?).

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook