Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Problems with the clutch!!!

I think the oil distribution thing was the reason that was given when I saw the "warm-up" recommendation. I figure in an engine the size of the GZ (or even the Strat for that matter) at a 1000 RPM idle, how long does it really take for the oil to get distributed? I'd say pretty effing quick. (Assuming there is nothing wrong with the oil filter and the stuff is circulating properly.) I don't think either one needs to be at full temperature to run well, although the GZ can be a little sketchy for the first few minutes if the carb/valves and choke are not setup or used properly. Mine had some trouble (probably caused by me) but, once cleared up, it runs very smoothly right from the get go.

I also benefit from the fact that 50% of my trips start out with a two mile descent from my house, so, it really doesn't matter if the bike is warm or not. I could almost ride down with the engine off.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXorcist
Do you need to let it run for a while to let the oil distribute throughout the engine before taking off? Honest question from a dumb unmechanically-inclined newb.
Yes.....about 30 seconds at most.
That's all any of my bikes have needed.....except the GZ and the Eliminator......both of which were very "cold blooded".
I must admit that I do it "off the seat" but would not really recommend that to anyone else.
Once I'm out and about, I never start it without being in the saddle.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
mrlmd1

The oil gets distributed, pumped, as soon as the engine turns over. The hardest part on any engine is the first few revolutions as it starts, when there is little lubrication. This is cold or hot.
The only thing sitting does while running, is let it get warmer, and the best way to warm up an engine is to run it at slower speed under load, like driving down the street,
The recommendation for a car engine too is to start it, then drive it at reasonable speed, rather than let it sit in the driveway to "warm up" first.
If it's really cold, you may want to "warm up" the engine sitting, to get the carb and fuel warmer, for better fuel combustion, (and as a by product the oil gets warmer), but with multi-viscosity oils, there is still lubrication from as soon as the engine rotates.
Obviously, with really cold temps, the oil is "thicker" (higher viscosity) when cold and requires more effort to turn the engine over, but the oil is circulating as soon as the engine rotates and does provide lubrication.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
music man

I start mine off of it, from time to time, but I don't ever wander away from it, because I am scared of it vibrating off the kickstand, and I agree with Alan that especially on a bike like the GZ, it probably only takes a matter of a few seconds to get all the oil circulated in the engine, on a really cold day I might warm my bike up for 3-4 minutes at most, but that is when it is below freezing outside, when its hot, it is more likely to be in between 30 seconds and a minute, depending on how big a hurry I am in and how long it takes me to get all my stuff situated.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
theram

I bought my GZ at the Mid-Ohio swap meet in late July. The pipes were already blued pretty bad, the owner started it up and let it run with full choke while we were talking. He was telling me how cold natured it was, I have found that to not be the case as it only takes a few seconds of full choke to have it running smooth. Could his habit of leaving it on full choke contribuited to the blued pipes?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #16
Sarris

Blueing comes from high heat. Leaving the choke on for extended period may contribute to it, but normally it is caused by lean carb settings.

I leave my choke on for about 2 minutes, which BTW is an enrichener circuit not a true choke.

My 2005 ran like shit when I got it. I brought it back to the dealer, and after much bitching and complaining, they popped the mixture caps and enriched the fuel/air mixture.

They said what they did was against the EPA regs (read illegal), but mine now runs like a champ.

I've got over 13k miles, and no blueing yet. I will tell you that I use my HD for any riding over about 50 miles or so, so the GeeZer only gets jaunts of 50 miles or less.

Welcome to our world.