Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 11-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
Badbob

Dry Pine Needles are Slick Stuff

On the way to work this morning I saw some steel tubing someone had put out for trash that I thought might be useful and stopped to take a look. There were pine needles on the pavement covering the pavement out to about two feet from the edge. Not wanting to stop in the road I eased carefully to a stop on the pine needles. Just as my feet touched the ground the bike slid sideways off the pavement and dropped at least six inches off the edge of the pavement. Why I didn't fall is beyond me. I have small scrape on my leg just above the top of my boot. As far as I could see in the dim light there was no damage to the bike. I take a better look at it latter.

Lessons learned:
Don't stop/park in pine needles.
Get taller boots.

I never got to the parking part which is probably a good thing otherwise the bike would have just flopped over on the pavement.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Badbob

I checked the bike after the sun got up good. The only damage I could find was a rough area on the bottom of the engine guard. This is probably what kept me from falling.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Bill

I'm glad to hear you are alright with only a small scrape. Yes, pine needles along with leaves, sand, gravel, ice, and oil will take you wheel out from under you. I make a point of avoiding them like the plague. I only ride through if there is no alternative and then the bike goes through straight and upright.

Cheers!

Old 11-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Badbob

I was completely stopped with both feet on the ground trying to decide if I wanted to get off the bike and take a closer look. The bike slid sideways about 12 inches and dropped off the pavement. It happened so fast that by the time I noticed something was wrong it was to late to do anything but hang on. The bike was still sitting straight up when the slide stopped. I think the foot peg got my leg.

Before anyone asks: I was fully geared up. "All The Gear All The Time" Thats the way I ride. Always.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
I was completely stopped with both feet on the ground trying to decide if I wanted to get off the bike and take a closer look. The bike slid sideways about 12 inches and dropped off the pavement. It happened so fast that by the time I noticed something was wrong it was to late to do anything but hang on. The bike was still sitting straight up when the slide stopped. I think the foot peg got my leg.

Before anyone asks: I was fully geared up. "All The Gear All The Time" Thats the way I ride. Always.
Those are some slick pine needles. I'm glad I live in Fla. and don't have the ice to deal with in the winter too. Been there - done that - just not on a motorcycle. No fun when things go out of control and all you can do is hang in there, watch and hope it comes out alright.
I also ride in full gear (minus leather chaps or leather pants but that will change soon) all the time. I don't want my grandsons and granddaughter to think I'm just another crazy old man. They worry about me enough as it is.

Cheers!

Old 11-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
Badbob

I never did understand chaps on a motorcycle. Protect your legs but grind you butt off sliding on the pavement. :??:

They are more like a fashion statement than riding gear.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:19 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Bill, nothing wrong with being Just Another Crazy Old Man. You get to do all the stuff you wanted to do 20 years earlier but could not.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #8

DELETED