Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
gz250dude

Did my first ever valve adjustment

Hey everyone I have a question for you, how loud should the valves be?

The exhaust valves had no clearance at all, I set them to 0.12 looking at the sticker on the fender and that was sorta middle of the range. Intake valves very tight so set them at 0.03. Now when I started the bike it seems to idle better and the choke actually is way more responsive for some reason but they seem very loud. I took it for a short ride and I swear it feels more powerful than before to. Is this to loud, it seems the exhaust valves are what I am hearing. I never notice valve noise on my scooters but the engines are buried in plastic fairings so I am not sure I would. Just looking for thoughts?

BTW... this valve adjustment wasn't hard to do at all.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-28-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
Maggie

Hmmm...I wasn't aware that the valve clearances were printed on any sticker. The manual says intake: 0.03-0.08 mm (0.001-0.003 in) and exhaust: 0.08-0.13 mm (0.003-0.005 in). So, assuming you used a mm feeler gauge (ask me how I know about this mistake!), you were at the far end for the exhaust valves at 0.12 mm. The most frustrating thing for me when adjusting the valves (besides trying to work with those feeler gauges in such a tight space!) was the fact that, even with the special tool from Motion Pro, the post moved a bit when tightening the nut. Arrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!

I did notice an increase in "chatter" when I adjusted my valves, but yours sounds a lot faster than my idle and a bit more "chatty." I haven't yet put 3,000 on my GZ since I did the valve adjustment, but I was thinking of checking the clearances again since I now have those nifty angled feeler gauges.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:08 AM   #3
gz250dude

I just want to make sure I don't have them to lose but I double checked everything afterwards and it still was right. Hmmmm I might triple check it after it sits all night tonight.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz250dude View Post
I just want to make sure I don't have them to lose but I double checked everything afterwards and it still was right. Hmmmm I might triple check it after it sits all night tonight.
Yup, the valves should be checked and adjusted when the engine is cold.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
gz4me +

Seems to chatter more than my Grandsons GZ. Do the triple check on cold motor.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
gz250dude

I checked them again last night since it had been sitting since Sunday afternoon to ensure it was cold. so I can still get the 0.012 one in there so its holding the adjustment I set. Maybe I should have done 0.010 to keep it quieter but the sticker on the bike said 0.08 - 0.013 was acceptable so I went loser.

It is running so good now. I can tighten them up some though if you all think I should.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
PG tips

I must look into this, I can hear mine popping on deceleration, usually from higher revs, not sure if its the valves or I've read running lean can do this, I don't mind it running lean if there are no problems but as far as I m aware that makes it running hotter, don't know if this makes for more complete combustion or causs other problems.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
gz250dude

Running lean does cause it to run hotter I know. To what extent it hurts the bike I don't know. I still feel like my valves are loud but I am used to the noise now. My bike does run way cooler now though.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
gz250dude

Ok so I checked them again on the motor cold since it sat for 2 days (hard for me to leave it alone for 2 days LOL) and re-adjusted 0.10 I think its much quieter.