Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
Weekend Rider

Shinko 230 Tour Master Motorcycle Tires???

Has anyone installed the larger Shinko Oversize Front 130/90-16 230 Tour Master and Shinko Oversize Rear 140/90-15 230 Tour Master on their GZ?

An old post by Dan, "Larger Front Tire (and raise the front Fender)"in 2011 detailed the modifications needed to make these over-sized tires work on the GZ. I would expect only minor size differences between the Dunlop tires he installed and the Shinko of the same size. Would that be correct?

I have requested information from Shinko to advise if these tire sizes are compatible with the stock rims on the bike... with no response as yet. Buyer ratings of this tire indicate it gives good value with sticky rubber and a good ride.

Any information on the Shinko Tour Master tires is welcomed.

A successful install of the over-sized Shinko tires would be especially good to hear.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Weekend Rider; 01-02-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

130 might be too wide on the front... Factory size is 110. You're talking about beefing up the front tire to something as thick as a the rear. It will be sluggish when you turn, if it even fits between inside the front fender.

115s and 120s on the front I think I've seen. I don't remember a 130 anywhere.

Shinko probably won't give you any advice other than "we only recommend using factory spec tire sizes" which will save them from the liability that something goes wrong with a non factory spec install.

Are you wanting to go with these just because they are available and probably pretty cheap, or is there some other reason?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Just my opinion but I would be inclined to stay with factory sizes. Suzuki does a good job of proper sizing just like the rest of the bike makers. A larger size may affect the handling and will surely cost a bit more too. Bigger is not always better unless you just want to do it for appearances.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
JohnC

Check out this wheel/tire size chart.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #5
Weekend Rider

Thanks, everyone...
After rethinking this, and considering the comments, I've decided to go with the stock sizes for now. Next year, who knows? At least I'll have a baseline for stock size tire handling. Handling and stability at highway speeds was my primary reason for the larger tires along with the apparent effect of a 15.5 tooth sprocket.

jonathan180iq - You called it spot on with the Shinko rep's reply. However, he also said he knows of many GZ's using the larger tire size I was considering without any issues.

JohnC - That wheel/tire chart is great! Thank you!

Old 01-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
Cathy

Qasual - Shinko challengers have some 120/90/16 and stock sized rears but I am not 100% if the front will fit well.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Weekend Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Qasual - Shinko challengers have some 120/90/16 and stock sized rears but I am not 100% if the front will fit well.
Cathy, I've ordered the Shinko FRONT110/90-16 Front/Rear tire and the Shinko 130/90-15 REAR with similar tread design.

The 130/90-16 should fit the front as stated by some who have done this. Raising the front fender by one inch to accommodate the clearance for this larger tire, they claim, is all that's needed. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

A larger front tire will also partially correct the overly optimistic speedo readings. Don't be surprised if you can't go as fast according to the readout on the speedo.
A true speed can be registered on a GPS if you really need to know. Most bike speedos are very optimistic about speed. The odometers are usually very close to true values.

Tags
shinko oversized tires