Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
E-man

Pain in the a$$

How far do you typically ride in between breaks? I've notice an ass and hand numbing experience and wondered if this was true on all bikes or specific to the vibration of the GZ. Any ideas on better seat shock absorbtion?
Maybe I shouldn't try 3 hour rides on a 250cc?!?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
music man

Re: Pain in the a$$

This is an age old problem on small bikes, let us know when you find a solution that will let you ride 3 hours on the gz without that happening, you will be everyone on here's new best friend.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man
How far do you typically ride in between breaks? I've notice an ass and hand numbing experience and wondered if this was true on all bikes or specific to the vibration of the GZ. Any ideas on better seat shock absorbtion?
Maybe I shouldn't try 3 hour rides on a 250cc?!?
lol, never had a ass numbing problem yet, but i think the hand numbing problem will be on any bike, plenty of times i see a guy getting off the freeway and setting at the stop light at the end of the exit ramp. shaking his hands around, i do the same thing after about a hour of riding, some kind of cruz controol system would come in handy so you can take your right hand off and rest it some times. no problem giving my left hand a rest but the right one always needs to be on the throttle.

i went on a 3 hour ride once, it wore me out actually, than again it was after a heavy night of drinking and probably not enough sleep, got up in the morning and about a hour later we all went out riding. it was a good time tho.

a lot of guys modify their seat i mean you could mount a couch cushion on there if you really wanted lol.. or you could get some kind of jell pad seat cover. not sure if you can get any aftermarket seats for the gz or not. but you can definitely add or remove padding from the seat to make it fit you better, you could even remove some padding and add new softer padding in there if you wanted. just depends on how much trouble you want to go threw and what you are comfortable doing.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

3 hours is a long time on a bike.Try for a time period of 1 or 1.5 hours and then get off the road for a stretch and a walk around. Sure a lot of long distance riders go for many hours but they have a lot more bike and and equipment for a comfort zone. You have to work up to a longer time in the saddle. Max for me is about 2 hours, then I need a coffee, smoke and a pit stop before I spring a leak. Lynda on the other hand rode her GZ half way across Canada and back without so much as a finger cramp. The seat was perfect for her from day one and she also had a backrest to lean on.
Riding a bike can be very tiring what with the noise level and vibration. Wind will cause a few pucker moments and you start to hurt after a while.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
bonehead

About an hour and a half is all I ride then stop for a rest-bike and myself. If you are miserable, it takes all the fun out of riding.

Danny, look for a "twist assist" cruise control. They mount on the throttle and can be locked down to hold it in position. I have seen various models between 18-32 dollars.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
dhgeyer

I have routinely riden for 7 or 8 hour days. I break for a few minutes every hour or so, no matter what bike I'm on. If I don't, everything suffers: various body parts (depending on the bike and riding position), enjoyment, and concentration. Loss of concentration is downright dangerous.

Some bikes cause numbness in the hands, some don't, and some people seem to be more prone to this than others as well. A bike that is "buzzy" can cause loss of feeling in the hands. Another factor is riding position. The more weight you have on your hands, the more likely hand numbness will be. On some bikes I need to get each hand off the handgrip and move my fingers every few minutes. You can do this while riding. The left is no problem, of course. The right means taking your hand off the throttle, so you have to pick a spot/traffic condition where you can coast and squeeze the clutch. A few seconds will do wonders if you do it every little while.

The seat on the GZ is rather small, hard, and transmits a lot of vibration. Bad combination for endurance riding. In the case of the seat/butt, there is also an issue of lack of circulation, and this can be an issue with just about any motorcycle seat. It just takes longer with some than with others. Of course, your anatomy is a variable as well. The solution is the same as with the hands: give it a break at regular intervals, and frequently enough so as not to let a serious discomfort develop. Actually stopping and taking a short break at least every hour is a good idea. You can also do a lot of good while riding by standing on the pegs briefly (on the GZ, or any bike with forward pegs, you have to pull yourself up with the handlebars to do this). You don't have to stand up all the way. You just have to get the weight off your butt. On the GZ, it's easier to do this if put your feet on the passenger pegs. I actually ride about half the time with my feet on the rear pegs. I don't do this in traffic, of course. You can also help by moving around on the seat, rocking and just wiggling to get some circulation going in the parts that are compressed.

There are products available to help with these problems. Gel gloves, and various slip on handgrip padding tubes help some people. You can also get sheepskin, beaded, and gel saddle pads. Some people have good luck with these items. Some people on this forum have also rebuilt their seats with more padding, and I'm sure that has to help.

I think you can do some pretty long rides on the GZ, but you can't do it all at once, and you have to "ride smart".
Old 10-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

dhgeyer, some very good helpful points. My Vstrom was killing me for the first 3000 kms. No more than 15 minutes and I was in severe agony. I did not fit the bike so I made the bike fit my body. Gel seat to replace the OEM seat, up and back risers for the bars and Grip Puppies over the standard grips. Throttle Rockers on both grips too. All hand and foot controls must be adjusted to your body not the other way around. Heated grips make a big difference to old bones too. I can actually stand up straight on my bike to get relief when needed too. Butt burn when the temps go up ?? Lots of talcum powder in the undies. And for the guys particularly, wear very supportive shorts so "Things" don't get dragged down by gravity. For the Gals, a sport bra will offer more support on rougher roads. My #2 wife was dirt rider and said the difference was remarkable.
Comfort and endurance varies with each and every rider. A past dirt bike riding buddy was 10 years younger than I was but was beat half way through the day. I wasn't in better shape than he was but I made the bike fit me and I rarely got tired or felt beat up at the end of the day.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior

Lots of talcum powder in the undies. And for the guys particularly, wear very supportive shorts so "Things" don't get dragged down by gravity.
do you really use talcum powder, not sure what talcum powder is made out of but i don't think i would shove any of that down my shorts. i think i would go more with baby powder or something along the lines of that.

as far as the supportive shorts go i'm not quite following this one i can see one reason they might help and that is so you don't set on and smash your "Things" :crackup
Old 10-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior

Lots of talcum powder in the undies. And for the guys particularly, wear very supportive shorts so "Things" don't get dragged down by gravity.
do you really use talcum powder, not sure what talcum powder is made out of but i don't think i would shove any of that down my shorts. i think i would go more with baby powder or something along the lines of that.

as far as the supportive shorts go i'm not quite following this one i can see one reason they might help and that is so you don't set on and smash your "Things" :crackup

:facepalm:
Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
burkbuilds

Hey Danny, Baby Powder IS Talcum powder.