Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 11-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
Badbob

Cuiserworks Commando Boots

I finally ordered some real Motorcycle boots. After months of looking I finally ordered a pair Cuiserworks Commando boots. These have been at the top of my short list for a long time but the $250 price tag gave me sticker shock. There had to be something cheaper that I would like just as well. There wasn't. I don't like Velcro or zippers on a boot. If they have Velcro or zippers they will probably leak. Velcro sticks to everything when its new and wears out quickly to the point where it barely holds on to itself. Zippers break of jam at inopportune times and they certainly leak. I can carry spare bootlaces or buy them anywhere. I can't do this for Velcro or zippers. These boots have laces with strap to hold them so I don't need to tuck my laces. They are water proof. One of the reviews I read about them does what they call a creek test. They go wading in them and if not water gets in they pass the test. They can be repaired with original materials. Motorcycle riding boots are expensive and most are throw aways. Wear the soles out and send them i to be refurbished. You can walk in them.

http://www.cruiserworks.com/

Price I paid was $147 including a can of Cruiserworks boot cream that you have to use to keep them water proof.

I found them at the Dennis Kirk in the Outlet Store.
http://www.denniskirk.com/

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
BadMojo

Oh boy just what I need, another place to shop at :2tup: good deal, thanks.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 AM   #3
Badbob

I got the boots yesterday and they are on their way back. They were defective. The strap that is used to hold the laces has Velcro on it. One of these had no stitches and was only attached by some double stick tape which came off on the first pull.

They also were way to tight across the instep. Cruiser Works recommended going different style of boot. Unfortunately, they didn't have this style in stock so I'm boot shopping again.

I'm looking for boots that are at least highly water/wind resistant, warm and contain no Velcro. Cheap would also be good.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Bill

That is so frustrating! You would think that a company that sells a pair of boots that list for $250.00 would have a little better quality control than that. Sorry to hear that after all this time you ended up disappointed. It seems that so often now days that there is less pride in craftsmanship and so many purchases are a "leap of faith".

For years there was no such thing as motorcycle boots and the "hard core" wore engineering boots. These were the lace up type like the early leather paratroop boots. In the later 60's the pull on square toe was popular. For me - I'm just sticking with a good all leather hi top hiking boot. I figure they are highly protective and serve double duty.

I know you want to avoid zippers but just for grins check out www.cyclesportsleather.com . I bought a few things from them and was very pleased with the quality and the service. I may even spring for a pair of their lace/zipper boots. Should be easy to put on once the laces are adjusted.

Hope you find exactly what you are looking for at a reasonable price.

Cheers!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
Badbob

Years ago I wore harness boots and had a hell of a time with them. They were very hard for me to get on and off due to my high instep. That why I like lace up boots. Ordering them off the internet would likely be a real challenge.

I'm a huge fan of hiking boots. The Cabela's Rimrock Hikers fit me like they were custom fitted. They are water proof as well. The only reason I don't wear them for riding is that they get soft with use and the sifter makes my foot sore. This could probably be remedied buy getting a pair with steel toes but the reason I'm looking now is because my current boots have steel toes and when it gets cold my toes get so cold they hurt. I wear hiking boots just about every day. I can't Imagine a shoe more comfortable than a well broke in pair of hikers.

Red Wing makes some motorcycle boots and we have a Red Wing dealer in town. I'm considering getting a a pair of those just paying a little more so I can be professionally fitted. I bought shoes from them before and they took very good care of me. The Red Wing boots I bought from them were very comfortable and last for ever. I still have them after more than ten years. They look like hell but they still wear good. I think I just talked my self into a new pair of Red Wings

Red Wing Motorcycle Boots
http://tinyurl.com/yb466s