Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #21
blaine

Re: Backfiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrose1420
I will try pluging the holes. But where is the mixture screw located,? I can't find it. All the holes on the side of the carb on my bike seem to be pluged off, is it under the float bowl somewhere.?
Thanks,
Hugs and KIsses,
Sarah Rose.
Welcome to the family.The mixture screw is plugged from the factor.You need the carb off the engine to drill out the plug.It is in front of the float bowl.Pages 4-6 to 4-8 in the manual explain how to remove the plug.Good Luck.
:cool:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #22
DAN

The plug over the idle mixture adjusting screw/needle is made from brass. Make sure you identify the correct plug to drill. To drill it out use care not to go in too far. Stop the drill just as it goes through the plug. Screw in an appropiate size long machne screw (force the threads into the brass), attach a vise grip plyiers or whatever to the machine screw and tap out the plug by hitting the vise grips with a wood mallet. After the carb cleaning and run in adjustment of the idle screw, the plug hole can be filled with a new brass plug (from dealer or bike bandit) or with an appropriat size arch punch and a piece of neoprene gasket 1/8" to 3/16" thick, just make a neoprene plug to keep the dust out of the hole. --Dan--
100cc and 125cc honda CB
350cc yamaha twin - 1970
160cc honda -1966 model
350cc honda CB 1970
350cc honda SL
650 Yamaha 1972
F650gs BMW 2007
Virago 750 Yamaha 1996
Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #23
sarahrose1420

Hello again, my bike is still backfiring. I haven't messed with the mixture screw yet because I want to check the ignition timing first, the bike run's far too hot and wont idle and does not want to start again after a long run, I was thinking maybe the timing is too far retarded.? Can anyone tell me if or where can I get to the ignition timing and can it be adjusted.? Does anyone have a link to a workshop manual or some information with some data on about adjusting the timing.? Unfortunately my bike did not come with the basic owners manual so I dont even have basic maintenance data.
Thanks for any help.
Hugs and Kisses,
Sarah Rose.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #24
blaine

The timing is not adjustable and is set by the ignition box.Here is the link to download the service manual.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27

Also have you checked your air filter to see if it is plugged.
:lol:

Old 05-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #25
sarahrose1420

Hey, thanks so much for that information Blaine, yes we checked the air filter and it was clean. I am pritty sure it is something to do with the ignition box you mentioned because it is behaving just like the timing is way too far retarded, it wont idle, it backfires, runs way too hot and wont restart after a long run, that say's to me it is running either very lean or to far retarded. Is the price of this ignition box going to bankrupt me.? I am out of work, filing for disability and living on borrowed time in a house that is in forclosure, so as you can imagine I can't afford a huge bill for the ignition box.
Well thanks again for that information.
Hugs and Kisses,
Sarah Rose.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Sara, I would be more suspicious of the carb than timing. With the extra holes in the muffler plugged you should have normal air flow as designed to meet the environmental concerns. Your bike just might need to have some carb tinkering to make it happy. The air idle screw will help a lot if/when you get at it. You should be able to get er running virtually cost free with some patience and research on the forum.
I personally have not touched a carb since 1989 when my riding buddy had a bike that was very lean, hot and gutless. I fixed it in a few minutes and he thought I was a genius. Little did he know I made the time to research the problem and the most direct route there. Sara your best info is this forum and the members who have been into and around GZ carbs to make them run right.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #27
blaine

I agree with W.W.I have never heard off a ignition box failing in this manner.When they fail,they just stop producing spark.
:cool: