Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 07-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
finallyinthesaddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichInFla
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
What kind of price range are you looking at? As others had mentioned, the really high quality mesh gear is pretty pricey. Regular mesh-textile jackets can be had for quite cheap, if that's what you're interested in buying. Despite my often-negative attitude towards the stuff, it is definitely better than nothing. As for the leather, I'd guess that you'd be needing to spend quite a bit more for one that would breathe really well. IMO full textile jackets breathe less than full leather jackets, but that's just been my experience, YMMV
To keep an open mind, I went looking on the web for leather jackets. I found "vented", which I figure is probably different than "perforated". Here's the link for a perforated one, any comments ?

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/produc ... 1&affid=4#

I see "breathable leather" as well (guessing same as perforated?). Prices range on most from $150 to almost $600 !! We do have a HD dealer in Melbourne, so I guess I should go take a look and try some on. Not a lot of choices as in, say, Daytona (1 hour away) or Orlando (1 1/2 hours away), I'm sure they have more dealers and more selection.

I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible, so if anyone has any ones I can check out online, please let me know. I know LilNinja said to go try it on, so that will probably be this weekend at the local HD dealer. Comfort and fit are very important, but if I find a decent looking one online, I might take a chance. Thanks again !!

Also, on a lighter note: If I have one too many beers one night, I might post my bike pic so you all can see what a "computer geek" from Florida looks like on his GZ250 !! Have a safe day everyone !!
The jacket that I have is made by "U.S.A. Biker's Dream Apparel" or something like that. I like it a lot. It has two zip-open vents in the front, one in the back, and all of them have zippers that are covered by leather. I can wear it in 90-degree weather and not get TOO hot at 35+mph. Sitting at stoplights sucks, though. I think I've seen them online for about $125. I got mine at a local flea-market for $79.00.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #12
LilNinja77

For under $200, you'll likely be going the textile route, unless you find a good deal on leather
good deals ARE out there:
http://www.newenough.com/protective_app ... acket.html
I have a PowerTrip jacket and it's of really good quality, I'd buy this jacket if I didn't already have a perforated leather jacket.

Regular mesh jackets can be had for very little more than $100.

Take your pick, though I would say that this isn't really the place to skimp with $$.....nothing's more important than your tires, your brakes, and your gear......well ok, your chain/sprockets too.

FWIW, the jackets and gear at most cruiser-oriented shops (like a Harley dealer) are going to be more aimed at style than protection. Generally (not always) gear designed for sport riders is more safety-oriented, just my .02.

Oh, the jacket you linked *appears* to be fine, can't really say by just looking at a picture I think "perforated" jackets are noted by the actual little perforations, the little holes; "vented" I believe refers to zipper-style vents.....I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me normally.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 07-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #13
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Quote:
For under $200, you'll likely be going the textile route, unless you find a good deal on leather
good deals ARE out there:

FWIW, the jackets and gear at most cruiser-oriented shops (like a Harley dealer) are going to be more aimed at style than protection. Generally (not always) gear designed for sport riders is more safety-oriented, just my .02.

Oh, the jacket you linked *appears* to be fine, can't really say by just looking at a picture I think "perforated" jackets are noted by the actual little perforations, the little holes; "vented" I believe refers to zipper-style vents.....I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me normally.
This is all true. However, I've found that the cruiser-oriented sites and shops DO carry good safety gear, it's just set at a premium price because a lot of the clientele are really only looking for looks or warmth. Like LN said, your best bet for the safest, and most affordable gear is to shop in the sportbike section or talk to some sportbike riders in your area.

That's also not discounting eBay or Craigslist. I just picked up a 2007 model black-label Alpinestars leather jacket, with CE armor and a LOT of padding and very thick leather (seriously, this thing weighs >10 lbs) for less than $150. If you look for the best deal, and snipe the auction (however controversial this is) then you can usually pick up good gear for a song.

The constant problem with buying gear online is fitting (especially ebay). If it doesn't fit well, or at all, you're pretty much stuck with reselling it yourself instead of returning. Not a problem for some, but if you don't want to go through the trouble and don't want to collect gear that doesn't fit, then you should try something more return-friendly, or personal. Craigslist is alright because you can usually fit gear before you buy, but there are more risks associated with that than eBay or a brick & mortar shop.

I've said this before in the other thread too, but I'll reiterate it here. I believe unless the price is substantially different online, you should always try to buy from a brick & mortar store. You can usually get good deals there, and sometimes can negotiate for an even better deal. Additionally, you support your local economy, and can keep good personal contacts with your community riders. The better the personal connection is to that community, the more likely they are to help out in many ways other than just a discount on gear or services.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
RichInFla

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
I've said this before in the other thread too, but I'll reiterate it here. I believe unless the price is substantially different online, you should always try to buy from a brick & mortar store. You can usually get good deals there, and sometimes can negotiate for an even better deal. Additionally, you support your local economy, and can keep good personal contacts with your community riders. The better the personal connection is to that community, the more likely they are to help out in many ways other than just a discount on gear or services.
I took Patrick's advice and went to my local "brick & mortar" shop called Cycle Gear. The guys were great and helped me figure out the best jacket for me. Sorry, LilNinja, the leather AND perforated leather was just a little too heavy. Ended up buying a "Joe Rocket Alter-Ego 2" jacket. It's pretty cool. The textile is a lighter weight, but it still has CE armor. The forearms unzip so it can actually become mesh from the forearms down. Also comes with a built-in rain liner which zips in. It'll probably take me hours to figure out how to get from textile to mesh, but the guy at the shop said Joe Rocket thinks of some really "sick" stuff, and he's right, it's almost like having 3 jackets in one. The sales guy also said it comes with pretty good "back armor", unlike other textiles, and you can add the CE armor later if you buy it.

Here's the link in case anyone wants to "opinionate":
http://www.newenough.com/protective_app ... acket.html

They ended up having a 25% off sale (ended up being about $186), so I went ahead and spent the 25% on a little Manta Magnetic Tank bag as well. Pretty dang cool. The sales guy put it on the metal table and dang if he didn't have to pull like heck sideways to get it off, but just pulling up made it come right off. The magnets also "tuck in" so it looks like an over-the-shoulder bag when it's not on the tank. At least it'll help me keep stuff out of my front pockets which makes it more comfortable to ride.
Here's the link to that just in case anyone wants to see: http://www.bikebandit.com/product/4985?WT.mc_id=666111

So, that's the choice, we'll see how it goes...He had to order it since I wanted red, so stay tuned for pics.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
That's an awesome deal on that Alter Ego jacket. CG's website is listing it at $233-$250. Nice work.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
LilNinja77

Those Alter-Ego jackets are pretty popular, a bunch of people over on the ninja250 forum wear them. Also, nothing to say sorry for, you're the one who lives in that sauna called Florida :tongue: You did the absolute best thing though, you went and tried on jackets in person and found one that ultimately was right for you; and that's the most important thing. Too many people just order crap online without ever knowing how it's going to fit. You just can't beat a brick and mortar store IMO, I'm happy to pay a little bit more in order to actually deal with someone face-to-face. Hope you enjoy the new jacket and tank-bag! :rawk:
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #17
patrick_777

Quote:
You just can't beat a brick and mortar store IMO, I'm happy to pay a little bit more in order to actually deal with someone face-to-face.
...except that he actually got it cheaper from the store than online, which rocks even more. :rawk:
Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #18
RichInFla

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Quote:
You just can't beat a brick and mortar store IMO, I'm happy to pay a little bit more in order to actually deal with someone face-to-face.
That ended up being a good thing that it was on sale !! Actually, the sale was on mesh jackets, and the "kid" who helped me, really nice, but young !! He wasn't sure if the combo mesh was included, but said "what the heck, it must be, it's part mesh, so why not". It was actually listed for $249, so I guess the price was comparable online. Bummer is that the tank bag was backordered. I could have ordered online for $5 less, not including shipping, but I figure I'll wait for the red one.

I saw both "Joe Rocket Alter Ego" and "Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0" online, so I actually got the 2.0 version. We'll see how it goes. Due to come in on Thursday. I'll see if I can post some pics of it, just in case anyone else is curious.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #19
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Here's what I ended up with for a Jacket:

It's a 2008 Z1R Dart Jacket. It's all leather except for the grey panels under the arms. Those zip out and leave a thin mesh for better air flow. It has armor in the shoulders, elbows, and back. I tried on about 20 jackets before I picked it. It was the one of 4 jackets in the store (where I bought my bike) that I liked, but the only one in the store that fit properly. I got it for at $50 less that the cheapest price I saw online for it. I'm happy with it.
*edit. Also it has a removable washable liner.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #20
patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnar Infectus
It's a 2008 Z1R Dart Jacket. It's all leather except for the grey panels under the arms. Those zip out and leave a thin mesh for better air flow. It has armor in the shoulders, elbows, and back. I tried on about 20 jackets before I picked it. It was the one of 4 jackets in the store (where I bought my bike) that I liked, but the only one in the store that fit properly. I got it for at $50 less that the cheapest price I saw online for it. I'm happy with it.
*edit. Also it has a removable washable liner.
Sounds like you did everything just right in buying your jacket. Good job! :2tup:

Have you been able to test the airflow with those mesh panels yet?