Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
cactus

Questions...

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a nice new 2009 TU250 But I thought I'd ask you experts a few questions..

My biggest concern is if the 250 is going to be able to hold up, I've seen a few notes on the forum of folks killing their GZ's after 5000 miles and a year ownership... :/

I'll be using it to commute 80miles a day (40 each way), usually doing about 35 over the mountains and in town about 50-55. I'd say about 15 miles is mountains the remaining 25 is standard city/country roads at 55... planning not in the winter (ice + snow would splat me quick on a bike!).

400 miles a week, 1600 a month so doing about 10,000 estimate a year probably..

I love the looks of the TU250 but I just don't know if it can handle it the miles I'd throw at it.. It would be my first bike, and I have my license, done my MSF/BRC etc. Wife kinda frowned when I suggested stepping up in price to say vulcan 500 (I dont particuarly want to go to a 650cc for first bike)!

The plan was to pick it up this saturday.... (its a combined kawai/suz dealer)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
dhgeyer

Re: Questions...

That's a lot of riding. If it were me, and I were planning that many miles on a daily basis, plus a full day's work, I'd go for the Vulcan 500 or something similar. Not so much for the wear and tear on the bike, as for the wear and tear on me. I'm a big fan of smaller is better, but for those kinds of miles day in and day out, something even bigger than the 500 might be better yet.

Also you mention mountains. Steep grades are not the 250's best friend, so you're talking about a lot of fairly hard miles.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

I second Mr. Geyer. Bike will probably hold up, but it's the wrong choice for hills. It's also IMO, the wrong bike for 80 miles each day. You will find lots of stories to the contrary, (such as Pat Henry's ride to Alaska) but you don't want every day to be some part of an endurance quest. Get a bigger used bike, there's lots to choose from.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I second Mr. Geyer.
Not that I want to disagree with either of you level headed guys but..........

Given that he IS a first time rider AND that his commute will be at relatively low speeds.........
**I** think he is making a fine choice.

Of course, we need to know how big the mountatins ARE, but mine did just fine going from Nashville to Chatanooga and back; some of that time in 4th gear, mind you. Hopefully the TU with it's injection will be just a tad bit better than the GZ.

As for engine longevity, if you don't spend too much time fighting the mountains, you should be OK there too. Those who have had major engine trouble around 20K miles, were in the habit of "ride it like you stole it" all the time; that is, pretty much max. RPM all the time, including pushing 80 on the highway.

Now, is it likely that he will want a bigger bike in the next couple of years if he continues that commute? I'd say yes, very likely but that's just a part of being a beginning biker. Better that than running a bigger bike off the side of a mountain the first year !!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

At 80 miles a day, he won't be a newb for very long. In a few weeks, he will log more miles than a lot of newbs do in their first year. Cactus, if you can borrow or get a used 250 to start you'd at least know what you are dealing with. The vast majority of us GZ'er's eventually get something bigger. I just listed my '08 on Craigslist today - it was great to get started with, but I just don't ride it much anymore, and when I do, I honestly don't enjoy it as much as I once did. I'll be taking a bit of a hit on it, but I overpaid for mine and bought it new. You should be able to find lots of 250's with low mileage out there from people in similar situations. Probably can get a nice one for 2K.

In any case, welcome to the world of two wheels, take your time getting up to speed and enjoy your first bike!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
cactus

Thanks for all the reply's guys. I did my MSF on a GN125 and loved it. Some more info, I'm 5'5 and 150lbs, my 'mountain' is basically crossing the blue ridge parkway from lexington va across to lynchburg va on the va501 via Big Island.

I do know the way I go there are no run offs or signs telling trucks of steep grade. google maps shows the big climb winds from 200' to 1200', just not straight up but a nice long windy road.

My problem is that there is very little between the 250's and going up to the 650's with little beyond the vulcan500 in between. then I have that leg length challenge to beat too
Old 09-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Not that I want to disagree with either of you level headed guys but..........
What, don't you love us anymore??????

Well, Easy, you do have a point. I always advise people to learn on a 250 for a year or two, then move up. Or maybe not move up if they're happy with the 250. But most people don't learn on a 80 mile commute through the mountains day in and day out. I've put in my share of time on 250's, and done at least one 270 mile day on a Honda Rebel. And I've ridden bikes as large as 1500 cc's, and pretty much everything in between. The GZ250 and the TU250 are light bikes. You feel every bump in the road much more than on a heavier bike. They don't have a lot of compression, which means very little engine braking, so you're revving the engine up the hill to try to maintain speed, then on the brakes all the way down.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying another hundred pounds or so, with a suspension to match, makes the ride a lot smoother. The saddle on the little Vulcan is wonderful. As for running off the mountain, after a decades long break from riding, I took my test on a Vulcan 500 after only a week of practice, and passed with no points lost. It's a very manageable machine - much more so than the VLX.

So, like everything in life it's a trade off: money now, money now and more later if you need to trade up, comfort, longevity, carrying capacity for stuff you need to take to work plus rain gear and gear for different temperatures at different times of day, possibly a bit of increased risk with a little bigger bike, a little more fuel consumption and general ownership cost with the larger bike, the 250 is easier and cheaper to maintain, insurance is lower, etc. etc. etc.

Different strokes. If I was doing that kind of mileage as a commute to a full time job in that country, I'd personally go a little bigger even to start. That's what I would do.

And by the way, I read the review of the TU250 in Motorcycle Consumer News (rave review), and looked at one in great detail at a local dealership. I seriously lust after one of those! Wonderful bike! Within its limitations.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
cactus

Thanks for the heads up on the MCNews tu250x review

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2009AugTU250X.pdf

It did not slake my lust any :biggrin:
Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Welcome Cactus. You have come to the right place for info and experience. So here is my opinion of your daily commute on a 250. It will get old really fast. You will soon dread the ride back and forth. A bigger more comfy bike will fill the bill much better. Spend the same amount of money on a good used bike of bigger displacement that is more highway oriented for commuting. Possibly a bike with a windshield and other things to make the ride easier.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
Sarris

Welcome Cactus. Take it from a guy who has 35+ years experience riding, you'll get tired of a GeeZer very quickly. I own a Harley for anything over about 30 or 40 miles, but I keep my GeeZer for short runs and errands. The GZ is great for under 50 mph riding, but with no upgraded comfortable seat available (or made for that matter), you'll get a very sore ass in about 25 to 30 miles. Also, extended 50 to 55 mph driving gets very fatiguing (sp?) from the motor buzz and road vibration very quickly. IMHO, the GZ is just too damn little for that type of daily use and mileage.

I really would go for a 650 cc bike minimum. The weight and power will become very familiar and will get comfortable very quickly. If you are interested in a "cruiser" type bike, I recommend the Yamaha V-Star 650, as they are very reliable, have good horsepwer/torque, and are plentiful and cheap. Another good selection is the Kawi 650/750/800 cc midsize standards and cruisers. Just about any of the KawaYamaHondaZukis are reliable and fairly cheap used.

And don't worry, we let all kind of turncoats and traitors hang out on this site. No biggie.

Keep us informed.