Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
burkbuilds

Increasing power output to handle accessory overload

Thought I'd throw this into the ring and see what information you all may have about potential increases in power output from the alternator by installation of an aftermarket Stator that professes to increase power output by 20%. Following is my "story".

I'm trying to find a way to increase my alternator output to run accessories on my bike. Found out that my Vulcan 500 only puts out around 34 Amps @ 12 V which is about 408 watts of total power and only about 10Amps of that is available for accessories, which means I only have about 120 Watts total to run my accessories on. Now that is plenty for most of the year, but in the Winter I planned to run a heated vest and gloves and heated grips. If everything was on high, that would put me somewhere around 160 Watts for accessories which is about 40 Watts or 3 ½ Amps over capacity. Started searching for options to see what I could do about that and finally stumbled on this.

I found out that Denniskirk.com has a replacement Stator for my bike that is supposed to increase the power output significantly both at idle and at cruising speed, they also have a better Regulator/Rectifier that fits my bike. Anybody have any hard numbers on this, the Denniskirk site just lists this as a significant increase over OEM and better quality all around over the OEM, which does seem to have some maintenance issues from what I've read for the Stator and the Regulator. Together both items and shipping is gonna be in the $225 range. Even if it's just a 10% increase in total alternator output (OEM about 33-35 amps= about 400 watts) that would amount to about 40+Watts of available additional power which is significant to me, plus, it's a pretty easy swap to do.

I sent e-mails to two companies that supply replacement Stator's for my Vulcan 500. RicksMotorsportElectrics.com said they make a stator for my bike but it is OEM spec, not additional output. Electrosport.com said they make a replacement for my Stator and it gives an overall increase of 20% compared to the OEM stator. That would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-90 watts (roughly 7 amps) of additional power output at 4000 rpms. That is pretty impressive and will help tremendously with my winter accessory loads. I hope this will actually work, I’ve ordered it now and I’ll probably have it installed on my bike before the end of October. I plan to meter the existing system @ 4000 rpms before I remove it to see what the actual output is, and then install the new Stator and regulator and see what it reads at 4000rpms. I’ll post my results when I get done and have some figures.

Anybody out there ever done anything like this to their bike and if so, what results did you get?

Login or Register to Remove Ads