Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
adrianinflorida

Re: Front Brake Lever Problem Fixed - Brake pads touching !!!

Yep, just make sure you aren't cooking your pads and fluid. if there is no excessive heat after a test ride (Don't use the fronts at all, just stop withe the rear, on the test ride), you should be good to go. If there is any real dragging, i.e. braking action which will create noticbly high temps on the pads and rotor, don't ride it any more 'till fixed.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
It was really hot.
How hot is HOT ???
I can't necessarily disagree with everybody else but I guess I already know the difference between very warm and very hot when it comes to brake rotors.
If I felt one and it really was "very hot" then there would be a problem.
Really hard to tell by remote control. :roll:
Old 05-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
adrianinflorida

Very hot will melt through your mechanics gloves in a second, don't ask how I know. In fact, the heat will tranfer all the way into the caliper, caliper mounts, etc, boiling the brake fluid to it's flashpoint eventually, hence the brake fires that are casued by dragging brakes. Find a medium hill, with the bike off, roll down it, do you feel any resistance or dragging?

If you burn yourself with a quick touch, after not using the front brakes, they're dragging.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
Find a medium hill, with the bike off, roll down it, do you feel any resistance or dragging?

If you burn yourself with a quick touch, after not using the front brakes, they're dragging.
No disrespect intended but the first part would probably only find one that is severly dragging, and there should be other symptoms......like SMOKE !!

The second part is, of course true.

I think a better test is to get the front wheel off the ground and spin it. Disk brakes in proper operating condition usually make a slight rubbing SOUND but don't impeed the spinning at all......or just a tiny bit. If the wheel stops short as soon as you take your hand off of it, then you have a problem.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

So why didn't I think of that easy solution ? Musta forgot the KISS principle again.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
GZ250

Thanks again to all but as i said it did not come to my pin head. As adrianinflorida said i went for a ride without using the front brakes and they were at normal temperature - not even warm and than i used just a little and they were warm and i was surprised that just a little touch of pads at 35mph made them real warm. After a long ride and use i checked again and they were real warm not scorching hot. this time i was riding about sun down. In the previous post when i reported that they were hot it was day time around 2pm and the day was hot.

As Easy suggested I have done that also, spinning the front wheel. The wheel does spin for a short while and stops and i can feel that brakes are touching.

The dear dealer is the last resort anyway but when i find time.

But for now i have peace of mind.