Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Forum News & Support

Old 09-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Do not launch new browser when entering forum from main page

Actually, I think Dupo's bike (is it a Honda Shadow?) was one I sat on and considered when I couldn't find a GZ, It was about 9.5K new. (plus BS I'm sure.) That one may be the bike to beat. I have a lot of respect for Honda as a maker of stuff that works and lasts. Harley seems to have a spotty record in this regard. Also, (offensiveness warning - judgment of other people's character coming up) although I like everything to be all about me, I also believe in maintaining a low profile in public and, especially, not infringing on other's rights. I can appreciate the low rumble of the fabled V twin (Christ, I hope it's a V twin [I don't know much about the technical stuff, like motors and shit]), I do not want to become one of these grizzled douchebags that roll down mainstreet with some skank on the back and shake the ground, the glass and everyone's ass with said rumble. It's sort of the redneck version of pumping the bass on the rap. I know this is not necessarily a feature of all Harley's and, can also be accomplished with non-Harleys, but whenever I hear it, it's mostly one or more Harley's involved. Not for me.

My apologies to all of you grizzled, douchebag HD riders with your sweet pipes, and also to the Missus Skank.

-Your Friend, The Skank/HD-Free Grizzled douchebag

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-07-2008, 04:20 AM   #12
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Of course, if you want to cruise the Interstates and get somewhere in a hurry and/or you can scrape up ~ $15-20,000 for a "real" touring bike, then that's a different story.
Suppose I could scrape up $15-$20K. Any suggestions? And, how would you compare a Honda Shadow (Which i think is in the 800c neighborhood) with one of these said "real" bikes. I think there's a more old school looking one called a Spirit that I actually liked a little better, but my memory fails me.

I'm still mastering the GZ and I think I have a long way to go just to get to the Intermediate level. But I sat on a Shadow today at CMS. Seemed like a good tradeoff of power/weight/price.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Honda Shadows are great bikes. It all depends what you are looking for. And you certainly wouldnt need $15k for one.

The one in my sig is a Spirit 750. 'Course mine is far from stock so dont use it as any reference lol.

Theres an 1100 version of the spirit as well as the ACE (discontinuted), Aero, VTX, VLX ... choices choices.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 09-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Suppose I could scrape up $15-$20K. Any suggestions?

I'm still mastering the GZ and I think I have a long way to go just to get to the Intermediate level.
You kinda asked 2 different questions.

For a road machine, I've always lusted after the Honda ST bikes; current one being the ST1300, I think. BMW would be my second look. I have no real experience with either and, like most of my lusts, it's not likely that I will either.

For an intermediate bike, the Suzuki 800cc lineup is very popular: S50,M50, C50 depending on the look/feel you are going after.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
music man

Also the smaller Honda Shadows, would make great intermediate bikes, IMO. My sister bought a Shadow VLX (either a 600 or 650 can't remember which) early this year. And I rode it about 120 miles down to my home town, in like 20 degree weather I might add. It handled very well, wasn't real heavy, not super powerful but plenty of highway power, pretty comfy. I rode it around my hometown all of that weekend after I got there, and was very sad when I had to go back to the GZ. Not that I don't like my bike but it ain't near as nice as that ride was. One other nice feature it only cost around 6K.

Later

Old 09-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #16
alanmcorcoran

Thanks guys. This has veered way off the browser link topic so I won't prolong matters. I will revisit this when I get closer to making another impulse purchase. Maybe I will need to have three bikes.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #17
music man

When you post a topic on here, it always seems to veer way off then if it goes on long enough it seems to veer right back just as fast???? very curious.

Later
Old 09-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #18
Sarris

Shit happens.

:neener:
Old 09-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Shit happens.

:neener:
Well, you see, when you hang around with them big, bad Harley riders .......then you come back here all grubby and nasty.

Chill! :biggrin:
Old 09-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Dude, you are up late again. Tsk tsk. Or early? Anyway, I don't know what herds you tend, but I likes my customers to be large, impersonal corporations with fat IT budgets for me to feed on. We don't see a lot of FF around these parts. Many are still on IE6. But like I said, soon as I do, I'll whore myself out on whatever flavor they fancy.

Re the Harley - don't count it out. At the risk of lot of indignant flames, I bought the GZ strictly to learn on. This forum has convinced me it might be wise to hang onto it, but my original plan was longer distance touring and I just don't see that happening on the GZ (yes, I know the other Patrick rode a GZ from KY to AK. I also know people than can bench 325, but it don't mean I'm going to.)

However, my "herd" mentality mostly extends to computers and Toyota Camrys. The "other bike" thing is a lot tougher - Harley's do seem to dominate and not entirely due to the marketing. I will be seeking counsel here when I'm ready to go bigger. I'm looking forward to that "Holy crap!" feeling Dupo described astride his Honda. (I hope it was a Honda anyway...)

All of your post remind me of the guys who study computer programming at the community college and stay up late on the weekends playing Magic the gathering while eating frozen pizza and drinking Surge in their grandmother's basement. I'd wager that you are even a Star Trek fan.

Do I know you from somewhere?