Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
GZhopefull

Recent 2001 GZ250 Buyer

Hi,

Been 30 yrs since I had a bike. Hot summer coming, and need economical transportation to & from campus and boarding house.

I bought a 2001 GZ250 with 25,855kms but somethings not right with it........

Seller would not allow me to take for proper test drive down road, just first & second gear around school yard claiming because he removed plate it would be illegal to drive down road. I should of stopped right there, but stupid me, I went ahead with the purchase anyway.

I'm hoping a carb clean and new plug will help it's gutlessness. Also, either chain and cogs have worn strangely, or a trani bearing has failed, because drive train doesn't sound or feel good. Will soon have time to look at it.

Besides flushing fuel tank, cleaning fuel stainer, cleaning carb, replacing plug, anything else ? Is valve checking and adjusting big issues causing power loss as well ?

Thanks for your great forum

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
gz4me +

Thumbs Up

Welcome GZhopefull!!! Checking Valve adjustment is a must. These tighten up and we have had many failures recently on this forum. Check the chain for any frozen or stiff links. Just helped out the guy down the street from me. He had two links that were frozen up from rust. Buy some contact cleaner and spray inside all the saftey switches. I would add a gas filter to the bike as well. Enjoy the forum and the GZ.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:12 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Just give the bike a good going over with some TLC.
If the bike still has the original chain and sprockets they will more than likely be toast and need replacing. New sprockets and an O-ring or X-ring chain are the way to go. Oil change, oil filter and air filter will be on your list of To Do's.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
GZhopefull

Will Do. Thanks for good advice.
Really miss a centre stand !! Can centre stand be added? Where miight a person find a used or affordable one? Also looking for front cog cover.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
5th_bike

Welcome to the forum.

I have never seen a commercially available center stand. Some people made one themselves - try the 'search' here.

Cog cover is no. 22:
http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/s...rankcase-cover

Old 04-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
hankjrfan

My bike has very few miles on it, however, I wouldn't mind getting opinions on what type of lubricant I should use on the chain. Mine was all serviced from a dealer before purchase. That said, I wanna keep this machine at 100%. I was told by a seasoned rider to never use WD40 on a chain, which, I have done before on my children's bicycles. I have lots to learn but look forward to the journey.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
blaine

Proper chain lube is the best.Goes on liquid & gels so as not to fling or attract dirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PJ1-22_A.jpg (4.6 KB, 3 views)

Old 04-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankjrfan View Post
My bike has very few miles on it, however, I wouldn't mind getting opinions on what type of lubricant I should use on the chain. Mine was all serviced from a dealer before purchase. That said, I wanna keep this machine at 100%. I was told by a seasoned rider to never use WD40 on a chain, which, I have done before on my children's bicycles. I have lots to learn but look forward to the journey.
Oddly enough I was just browsing through webBikeWorld.com and they have a write up on a newer chain lube on the market. Sounds good to me as I am a great fan of DuPont which is no longer produced.
Read the review and consider it as a potential option for chain maintenance.

Read the other reviews about other biking products that are subjected to their real world testing and draw your own conclusions. I have had some experience with products they recommended and was impressed with their accurate conclusions and recommendations.